using 2nd as opposed to drive

rider1

Would you guys know why some transits run their buses in 2nd (or 3'd depending..)as opposed to drive or OD?

I know Kingston has used this practice ever since the 78-79 fishbowls and the GM classics

Wouldn't bringing in the OD gear, save a ton of fuel .especially over 60kmh.

thanks ,

ROb

Would you guys know why some transits run their buses in 2nd (or 3'd depending..)as opposed to drive or OD?

I know Kingston has used this practice ever since the 78-79 fishbowls and the GM classics

Wouldn't bringing in the OD gear, save a ton of fuel .especially over 60kmh.

thanks ,

ROb

Depends on the transmission and how fast operators run.

Those V series, particularly the V730 model will causes whipplash back and forth once kicking into 3rd gear. The V731 does it from time to time.

It's not they are running over 60 clicks on the road on most times, most operators and passengers wants better comfort when vehicle is in motion without feeling any roughness.

When driving our Fishbowls or Classics here in Calgary with V730, V731, VR731 transmissions, I run them with the gear selector in 2 unless I am going to go more than 60 KM's an hour. As 'General682002' mentioned, sometimes those transmissions tend to shift up and down at around 60 KM's causing a rough ride from the transmission 'jumping'.

I noticed that a lot of buses get ran in 2nd gear in the winter, I'm guessing to combat wheelslip.

Which bus? There's are several buses that have from 3 to 6 speed.

I do remember riding on West 5th hill, some drivers downgear from 5 to 2 on uphill to lockup the gear, the same goes on downhill.

I think this is the video in question:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu5sY81FdJE

It looks like from about 2:40-3:30 is the best example of what Cogeno is talking about.

Either driver downgear or the 3rd gear takes longer to reach. Those V730 transmission usually takes longer as it reaches the RPM out from 2nd gear, around just over 60 clicks.

• 2 years later...

I know Kingston's 8790 (a GM Classic)'s transmission was messed up, it would only drive in 2nd gear. It was recently retired and is still used as a training bus, but is occasionally dispatched during bus shortages despite its missing farebox.

• Root Admin
I know Kingston's 8790 (a GM Classic)'s transmission was messed up, it would only drive in 2nd gear. It was recently retired and is still used as a training bus, but is occasionally dispatched during bus shortages despite its missing farebox.

I used to use 2nd or 3rd when driving Oakville transit Orion 1

I use second gear when driving our Classic 737. If you leave it in drive, it doesn't have the pick up or RPM's to run efficiently. Works for me :(

It's all local area, alot of stop and go. The only high speed you can go is the Hwy 11 route.

One of the Kingston Transit drivers always, always drives the bus in 2nd. I'm sure on these older buses it made a difference but on the D40LF/LFR it doesn't seem to have any benefit. The engine gets really loud when he gets up to speed. :(

One of the Kingston Transit drivers always, always drives the bus in 2nd. I'm sure on these older buses it made a difference but on the D40LF/LFR it doesn't seem to have any benefit. The engine gets really loud when he gets up to speed. :(

The gears are closer, that's why.