what do you think 40ft or 60ft

OC8792

On several occasions last winter (Winter 2007-08), during major snowstorms on a weekend, OC Transpo decided to pull all articulated buses off the road and assigned whatever 40 foot buses that were available.

We'll have to see if they will continue this practice for this upcoming winter season.

I remember that day. It was on a Sunday, one year exactly when all those D60LF jack knife incident took place in Gatineau. QC.

Point55. ;)

What the...... the D60LFs don't usually always jack knife. From what I heard, they still use summer tires and hopefully the new 2008 D60LFs will be better. As for the old buses, maybe on weekends I can see them using it since their is less buses needed.

Point55. ;)

They jack knife and get stuck all the time, the old buses run where the artics usually do in the Winter cause they don't want to have too pull more buses out of the snow than they need to.3

They jack knife and get stuck all the time, the old buses run where the artics usually do in the Winter cause they don't want to have too pull more buses out of the snow than they need to.3

I know that, but most drivers are responsible, and some just want a day off, so....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee **makes sharp turn, bus jacks knife**

[/immature]

We will have to see how this winter season goes. I'm going to try and ride any D60LF's and see if it'll jack knife, as I have not rode one that has.

Point55. ;)

I know that, but most drivers are responsible, and some just want a day off, so....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee **makes sharp turn, bus jacks knife**

[/immature]

We will have to see how this winter season goes. I'm going to try and ride any D60LF's and see if it'll jack knife, as I have not rode one that has.

Point55. :huh:

What drivers do you see or have that would rather sit there for 2-3 hours doing nothing rather than doing there job?? All the drivers I know would rather finish the route rather than jack knife or get stuck and have to wait.

What drivers do you see or have that would rather sit there for 2-3 hours doing nothing rather than doing there job?? All the drivers I know would rather finish the route rather than jack knife or get stuck and have to wait.

If a bus breaks down, or stuck in the snow, or jack-knifed, the operator does not lose any pay. Once the situation is resolved (as mentioned in the previous sentence), Control/Supervisor would make an adjustment to their run (by cancelling trips that were missed) and get them back onto schedule.

I'm not sure how those Double Deckers where getting woulkd re-act in the major snow storm we got last year, but I'm guessing they'd probaly would of gottomn stuck? Comnsidering the amount of snow that was falling in a givin hour it probally wouldn't matter if it was DD or 40 or 60 foot bus it wouuld of gotton stuck.

Now that a side the fact is we live ion a country that during winter we get snow at least inbn part of the the country. So tour going to gert problems.

Is it wise to drop the 60 footers? I say no, true you may get problems during the winter, but how many days did the arics(major problems) every single day of winter? How many got stuck each day during winter? If its only a few(and thats every single day of winter) then the 60 footers are not bad, but if itr was alot(everyday), then no tthe 60 footers are no good.

The fact is we live in a snow countruy/ wWould snow tires help? Not sure, the catch how do Northern Euro Countries deal with snow who have artics? Is the make of bus or is it the tires? If the make of bus then perhaps OC should lok at purchasing thosre makes and from what I've sen most of those appear to be eith Volvo's, MANs,Neoplans,Van Hools,Setras & Mercedies true this probally cost way way more per unit, but if your not going to have the problems we're having now perhaps the cost out way the difficulties.

But I can tell you this if we wre;re luckt enouhgh that it didn't snow here in the winter I bet you''d see OC with double artics. Remember at one time OC was actually going to test I a double artic back in the 80;s? or 90;s. I believe it was from reneaulk or some Euro manifacture.

The Dopuble Deckers are not bad, but the major problem with them is thje height. True the meet a certain height restrictions and can probally go under 95% of underpases but the major problem isn;t underpasess but trees!!! Tress that line city streets and their branches lean over city streets. Thats where the problem lies.

I'm not sure how those Double Deckers where getting woulkd re-act in the major snow storm we got last year, but I'm guessing they'd probaly would of gottomn stuck? Comnsidering the amount of snow that was falling in a givin hour it probally wouldn't matter if it was DD or 40 or 60 foot bus it wouuld of gotton stuck.

Now that a side the fact is we live ion a country that during winter we get snow at least inbn part of the the country. So tour going to gert problems.

Is it wise to drop the 60 footers? I say no, true you may get problems during the winter, but how many days did the arics(major problems) every single day of winter? How many got stuck each day during winter? If its only a few(and thats every single day of winter) then the 60 footers are not bad, but if itr was alot(everyday), then no tthe 60 footers are no good.

The fact is we live in a snow countruy/ wWould snow tires help? Not sure, the catch how do Northern Euro Countries deal with snow who have artics? Is the make of bus or is it the tires? If the make of bus then perhaps OC should lok at purchasing thosre makes and from what I've sen most of those appear to be eith Volvo's, MANs,Neoplans,Van Hools,Setras & Mercedies true this probally cost way way more per unit, but if your not going to have the problems we're having now perhaps the cost out way the difficulties.

But I can tell you this if we wre;re luckt enouhgh that it didn't snow here in the winter I bet you''d see OC with double artics. Remember at one time OC was actually going to test I a double artic back in the 80;s? or 90;s. I believe it was from reneaulk or some Euro manifacture.

The Dopuble Deckers are not bad, but the major problem with them is thje height. True the meet a certain height restrictions and can probally go under 95% of underpases but the major problem isn;t underpasess but trees!!! Tress that line city streets and their branches lean over city streets. Thats where the problem lies.

in regard to your concern over branchings damaging the bus. If you look at one of the photos you posted earlier. Each of the three enviro buses have the silver pole sticking out (I forgot what it is call) prevents the tree branches from scratching the buses.

It may be better if OC Transpo uses puller articulated buses like its orion 3 buses.

In regards to the paying when bus is stuck/broken down, I was riding a D40 on the 7 because I knew the operator and he had a high floor last winter, he was heading to St. Laurent and when dropping people off at St. Laurent Blvd and Montreal Rd a passenger requested the bus to kneel so he knelt and then it wouldn't come back up, so he called a Code 3 and eventually a bus came to pick up the passengers though I stayed with the driver, then he was saying how he's glad it broke down early into his shift as he won't have to do as much work and still get a bus change in time for him to finish up his shift.

So in the end he was happy as he didn't have to do 2 runs. So he didn't mind this cause he broke down early into his shift, he had like a 6 hour shift so he spent 2 of those 6 hours just sitting there. Though he didn't do this on purpose though I was speaking to a senior driver later about this, he said that he shouldn't of knelt on a snowy day like that. It was one of those days that the artics weren't put out on the roads.

in regard to your concern over branchings damaging the bus. If you look at one of the photos you posted earlier. Each of the three enviro buses have the silver pole sticking out (I forgot what it is call) prevents the tree branches from scratching the buses.

It may be better if OC Transpo uses puller articulated buses like its orion 3 buses.

It's call Tree Branch bars.

Yeah, it'd have to have been a weekday. I don't think off-peak Hull routes are supposed to get artics, though a lot of runs have been getting them lately due to shortages.
I have a messed up photo of a artic on route 8 during off-peak. It messed up cause of flash. I'll show you later.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I know it happens a lot now, but I'm just saying, I think they're just putting artics on it because they're running low on 40-footers, and are trying to avoid putting HFs on it. At least whenever I ride the 8 off-peak, the ridership isn't really justified for a 60-footer.

Oh, I know it happens a lot now, but I'm just saying, I think they're just putting artics on it because they're running low on 40-footers, and are trying to avoid putting HFs on it. At least whenever I ride the 8 off-peak, the ridership isn't really justified for a 60-footer.

Im pretty sure you are right on this. This is why you'll see random 60 footers on locals or routes that don't need a 60 footer off of peak, yet a Sunday.

Check the run number. It may be a transitway route or another route that uses D60LFs and interlines with the 8, or the 8-xx interlining with various routes that requires 60 feet buses. You never know.

Point55. :)

Check the run number. It may be a transitway route or another route that uses D60LFs and interlines with the 8, or the 8-xx interlining with various routes that requires 60 feet buses. You never know.

Point55. :)

It's 8-whatever on the ones I've seen.