Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

78 Crosstown West June 2011.pdf – Improved access to the Victoria Hospital on Pembina Highway.

And another route gets sent up the driveway of Victoria Hospital! None of the buses except maybe the 51 should go up that driveway! Bad enough taking the 62 in there. Nothing like a standing load of passengers getting thrown around while the bus negotiates tight turns. All to save someone a 100m walk. It's not like any buses go through there southbound. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that. They might just do it. :blink:

78 Crosstown West June 2011.pdf – Improved access to the Victoria Hospital on Pembina Highway.

And another route gets sent up the driveway of Victoria Hospital! None of the buses except maybe the 51 should go up that driveway! Bad enough taking the 62 in there. Nothing like a standing load of passengers getting thrown around while the bus negotiates tight turns. All to save someone a 100m walk. It's not like any buses go through there southbound. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that. They might just do it. :blink:

As someone who often catches buses at Victoria Hospital I wish service was consistent more than anything. Trying to get from the hospital to Pembina/University with some buses coming into the hospital and others not is a frustrating mess for users. That the southbound service has always remained on Pembina does suggest that looping into the hospital is a convenience, not a necessity.

That the southbound service has always remained on Pembina does suggest that looping into the hospital is a convenience, not a necessity.

Exactly! Biggest problem though is that they never put a stop on Pembina Hwy NB convenient to the hospital. Well, I guess that's fixed now by slowing all the buses down sending them up that driveway.

• 3 weeks later...
One of the Xcelsior Demo's seemed to be following bus 476 on rte 11 Glenway on Portage on the 14 of this month. Here are a few photos. I photographed this same demo just the day before at one of the New Flyer Facilities as well.

The Mule! I haven`t seen that one in a while.

Judging by the stray wire, they've been testing some new features.

No. We didn't head out that way. Did you see the D40i demonstrator out there?

The D40i demonstrator is the one with the double sliding rear doors, right?

Also I will be on the lookout for that mule that's apparently running the streets now!

No. We didn't head out that way. Did you see the D40i demonstrator out there?

Yes I did! BusRider has already posted photos of it now as well.

Did anyone get a inside picture I heard last that i had bricks in it ?

I don't believe anyone did as the coach is on the wrong side of the fence for us to access it.

Also I will be on the lookout for that mule that's apparently running the streets now!

I only saw it out that one day. I didn't see it the day before that or the day after, so it will be hard to say if it will actually be out again or not.

• 1 month later...

An interesting article from Metro Newspaper! Raises some good points

Transit in the city: Drivers, riders chime in

From tardy service to illegible timetables, Metro readers from coast to coast shared their...

From tardy service to illegible timetables, Metro readers from coast to coast shared their beefs — and praises — with transit in their city. Here’s what you had to say ...

Transit operators across the country speak out

Sure, riding the bus can sometimes be frustrating, with long waits at transit stops, overcrowded buses and the occasional cranky driver.

But driving a bus can be just as trying on the nerves, according to bus drivers across the country.

Gavin Davies, who has been driving a bus in the Vancouver area for more than 20 years, said he often has to deal with drunk and “inconsiderate” riders while trying to keep focused on the road. 

Toronto Transit Commission driver Sherry Newton has had her share of people yell at her for not pulling over once she’d pulled away from a stop.

“People yell and scream at you for not stopping to pick them up,” she said.

“What they don’t know is that it’s (a safety) policy.

“It would be nice if (riders) were more aware of our do’s and don’ts.”

Wayne Slawter, a 13-year veteran bus driver in Halifax, said one negative passenger experience can ruin a driver’s day.

“You have some days where, in all reality, the public is just not very nice to you, and sometimes you might get a little down from it,” he said.

“(But one) person can get on after that, say please and thank you and have a good day, and it erases all that negativity that just happened to you.”

According to Angelo Da Silva, an Edmonton bus driver, patience is the key to staying calm and happy on the job — whether it’s dealing with obnoxious drivers, rush-hour traffic or construction delays.

“If you don’t have patience, you’re not cut out for driving (for a living),” he said with a laugh.

Reader tweets: What do you love or hate about your city’s transit system?

@lbuhler: “More bus shacks would be good to get out of the winter elements and wet days. Heated would be a plus. @metrowinnipeg #winnipeg”

@afauch: “more centralized hubs in neighbourhoods — I hate that buses stop at every second street!”

@Lesley: “@metrowinnipeg A better Sunday bus schedule. Nothing sucks more than waiting an hour and a half to get a bus to St. Norbert”

@FreePublicTransit: “Why not make it fare-free and leapfrog your economy over everyone else. #freetransit”

Your take ...

RATE YOUR SYSTEM

Check out our online poll and rate your city’s transit customer service system. Visit metronews.ca. Poll results will be printed in tomorrow’s edition.

BUILD YOUR IDEAL SYSTEM

If you had the power to change your city’s transit system, what wouldyou do? Create 24-hour service? Put debit machines on buses? Email usat winnipegletters@metronews.ca or send us a message on Twitter @metrowinnipeg. The best answers will be printed in tomorrow’s edition.

http://richmobile.metronews.ca/winnipeg/lo...riders-chime-in

I was trying to think of a way to make the 68 bus more useful, and came up with this idea. I added Grant Park shopping centre to the route, without losing anything on Grosvenor. I think it would add about 12 minutes to a one-way trip (around 24 minutes to a round trip) so it would cost an extra unit. I suppose that means it's impossible...

Route68reroute_idea.JPG