Barrie Transit

MCI102A3

Two electric buses will be purchased. No info on what model it will be yet currently.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/city-of-barrie-goes-green-with-two-new-electric-transit-buses-1.6168937

34 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Ex. BT 2002 NFI D40LF 66302 (former ghost bus) has been listed for auction on GovDeals.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=405&acctid=9198

2002 New Flyer Transit Bus

I didn't think they would remove 66302 completely. Especially when it doesn't operate and is towed to the events. Hopefully it will find a second life somewhere. 

• 6 months later...

Haven't updated in a while. Attaching the slide deck which includes the revamp of new route types broken down below:

• Express Transit Network
  • Frequent Transit Network 
  • Local Transit Network
  • Transit On Demand 

Looking at the proposed route map, Route 100C/100D would simply be converted to Route 101 and 102. Though, I think there is a bigger shift to transit-on-demand just to be cost-neutral and better balance available resources while meeting traveller demand.

Final comments:

I still remember the major route overhaul in 2013. Especially when it was pretty confusing along with service ending earlier when it was first introduced. Then changing it to address the issues a year later.

Though I personally prefer the downtown system where most routes went downtown and you could connect with departures at the top of the hour, :15, :30 and :45. At the same time, that concept was no longer working especially with the south end routes (31 Essa/41 Allandale, 30 Yonge and 34 Ardagh) were taking a lot more than the 60 minutes of running time allocated during the daytime. The maximum travel time would take around 45 to 60 minutes depending on final destination. 

Presentation Barrie Transit's New Vision.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Some documents of the proposed route changes. Starting sometime in 2024 with Route 2, 7 and 8 retaining current routing while the other routes will be changed. Attaching the document of route changes that is planned. 

Full implementation by 2025 depending on progress and plans. 

Not all documents are attached, only the more useful and informative ones are referenced in these attachments.  

Final comments:

Not going to lie, the plan is to reduce the demand for conventional buses and instead shifting to BACTS buses for transit on demand. Instead of those waiting for a bus every x minutes, it will instead be for some areas with transit on demand to plan a start and end trip along with factoring an expected wait time. Which may not help for those that are used to taking y trip connecting to an intercity train or bus. 

Reading regarding how frequent transit routes have the flexibility of adding more frequency beyond 15 minutes is nice to service a higher corridor area such as the college. Revamping the routes every 10 or so years. Last major overhaul was August 2013 before having to introduce temporary fixes until more reliable routes were implemented in July 2014. With some fixes and changes over the last few years.

Though I will give credit for building a frequent service network of every 15 minutes or better via Route 100 series. Route 10 and 11 North Loop along with Highway 400 Express being ramped up to every 20 minutes frequency if demand warrants in the plans. 

Appendix A - Network Maps.pdf Appendix D - Route Changes.pdf Report - Barrie Transit's New Network.pdf

• 1 month later...

Late arrivals, Barrie usually gets their buses in the early part of the year (the 2022s entered service in February).

How many units are on order for this year? And are they expansion (what expansion...) or replacement units for the 2011 Xcelsiors, now that they're hitting 12 years in age?

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 10:02 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Some documents of the proposed route changes. Starting sometime in 2024 with Route 2, 7 and 8 retaining current routing while the other routes will be changed. Attaching the document of route changes that is planned. 

Full implementation by 2025 depending on progress and plans. 

Not all documents are attached, only the more useful and informative ones are referenced in these attachments.  

Final comments:

Not going to lie, the plan is to reduce the demand for conventional buses and instead shifting to BACTS buses for transit on demand. Instead of those waiting for a bus every x minutes, it will instead be for some areas with transit on demand to plan a start and end trip along with factoring an expected wait time. Which may not help for those that are used to taking y trip connecting to an intercity train or bus. 

Reading regarding how frequent transit routes have the flexibility of adding more frequency beyond 15 minutes is nice to service a higher corridor area such as the college. Revamping the routes every 10 or so years. Last major overhaul was August 2013 before having to introduce temporary fixes until more reliable routes were implemented in July 2014. With some fixes and changes over the last few years.

Though I will give credit for building a frequent service network of every 15 minutes or better via Route 100 series. Route 10 and 11 North Loop along with Highway 400 Express being ramped up to every 20 minutes frequency if demand warrants in the plans. 

Appendix A - Network Maps.pdf 4.52 MB · 15 downloads Appendix D - Route Changes.pdf 159.82 kB · 14 downloads Report - Barrie Transit's New Network.pdf 3.15 MB · 14 downloads

Apparently the new proposed network has been approved for implementation in 2025.  With the larger focus in On-Demand service, has there been any chatter as to whether Barrie will purchase "micro transit" vehicles dedicated to serve the On-Demand zones?

• 2 weeks later...

Some housekeeping items (February 2024)

Hotspot handling digital transit fares to rollout on February 26th (memo attached). Marketing strategy planned. 

Georgian College U-Pass set to expire in August 2024 has been extended for another year (August 2025) in-order to prepare for another referendum vote for a longer term. 

Both items, I have attached the relevant memos for recordkeeping/reference.

Detour for Allandale Waterfront Station (February 12th)

• All buses will remain on-street until the new terminal is built
  • Route 1, 4 and 8 will southbound will service where the 1B current stop is
  • Intercity bus services (Go Transit, Ontario Northland, Linx) will be at a separate stop
  • Route 1, 4, 8 and Go Transit northbound will service a stop south of Essa/Gowan
  • Route 7 to service nearby temporary stops 

At the time of writing, the detour map is missing the 7B temporary stop which is most likely supposed to be Essa/Tiffin. Will update once it is corrected. 

Link here: https://assets.barrie.ca/assets/MyRide/Allandale.PDF

Ontario Northland isn't included in the detour maps because it is only one trip at 5:50 AM towards Toronto. It only impacts for ticketed passengers who have a starting or end destination for Allandale Waterfront. 

EDIT: Corrected detour map now provided. 7A Grove stops before making the left turn onto Bradford. 7B Bear Creek will stop at Bradford/Tiffin before turning onto Tiffin. 

Memo - Barrie Transit - UPass Extension.pdf Memo - Transit Mobile Fare Application Launch.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

According to this report, the City of Barrie is offering XD40 units 1101 to 1103 to Durham Region Transit in exchange for 3 cutaway buses which would be to support transit-on-demand. 

Report attached for reference. Don't ask me why they are using Nova as a reference when it is New Flyer Xcelsior that is mentioned in the report. 

Final comments:

I think this is a better deal since it would save the hassle of trying to put something to the resale market and hope bidders are attracted to ordering something. Noting that 1101 to 1103 are still in revenue service being on one of them recently and still pretty reliable. 

Also noted in the report is how Phase 1 of changes will start in Spring 2024. When more info is shared, I will be sure to post in the thread. 

TPS001-24.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

According to this report, the City of Barrie is offering XD40 units 1101 to 1103 to Durham Region Transit in exchange for 3 cutaway buses which would be to support transit-on-demand. 

Report attached for reference. Don't ask me why they are using Nova as a reference when it is New Flyer Xcelsior that is mentioned in the report. 

Final comments:

I think this is a better deal since it would save the hassle of trying to put something to the resale market and hope bidders are attracted to ordering something. Noting that 1101 to 1103 are still in revenue service being on one of them recently and still pretty reliable. 

Also noted in the report is how Phase 1 of changes will start in Spring 2024. When more info is shared, I will be sure to post in the thread. 

TPS001-24.pdf 282.72 kB · 16 downloads

That is very interesting news! I assume DRT took the Arboc buses off Govdeals very quickly as they were listed on there a while ago. It will be interesting to see them in Durham with the full roof.

• 3 weeks later...

The transit-on-demand zones start on May 2nd to better build the transition. Transit-on-demand zones are fare-free for that first month to build the market along with transition. 

Implementation of Phase 1 of the two phase transit network overhaul is June 2, 2024 (Sunday).

Regular routes will still require a fare. 

Route 2, 7 and 8 will still retain the current schedule under Phase 1. This is along with the introduction of the Route 400 Express operating Monday to Saturday.

Schedule breakdown for Route 400 Express:

• 7 AM to 7 PM Monday to Friday 
  • 9 AM to 7 PM Saturday 
  • No Sunday service 

Frequency for Route 400 is every 30 minutes during the span of service. 

I have attached the report for reference. 

Final comments:

I did hear about the issues for those working in the south end and struggling to get to the north-end in a timely manner or requiring transfers/careful scheduling. Utilizing Highway 400 is useful, but also interesting to see how it will workout due to the construction that can impact service in case of lane reductions.

Will be interesting how the transit-on-demand system will workout on a larger scale. Especially since I know York Region Transit has several transit-on-demand sections requiring passengers to pre-book a trip in-advance. Connecting to the nearest local or frequent route to continue to where the passenger needs to go.

One change from the current system to the new system is the classification of Express, Frequent (15 minutes maximum frequency), Local and On-Demand categories. Trying to overhaul from a transit system made in the 2010s trying to reduce the amount of transfers between routes and more direct service. To a shift towards more direct service and frequency. 

Memo Barrie Transit - New Network Phase 1 Launch.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Georgian College students voted to extend the U-Pass for another five years. It was extended for another year (August 2025) to give time for the referendum vote to occur.

Now it is extended until August 2030 with an option for an additional two years if exercised. 

https://www.barrie.ca/government/news-notices/media-releases/georgian-college-and-barrie-transit-extend-u-pass-program?fbclid=IwAR0De8oFIk-j_WwIhLEAmhbX-j21Ba_cTM6TEg5D6XDR7SpUeIao1ny7dcE_aem_AbGtTUQE1EhDkWi8xxAMoTBHg7IHBxihuDFR14K7VA2596Kta8yDNW1t1zf1v10wQBc9YGiPw-wXnKAz0pV8yqUO

Final comments:

The vote was 68.3 percent in-favour of the U-Pass. I remember when it was first put to a vote in November 2015, it was rejected with 59 percent of the vote. 

At the same time, U-pass holders generate 45 percent of the total ridership. The first contract started in September 2018 with a five year term along with a possibility of an extension of two one year terms. That one was set to expire in August 2025 if the referendum did not pass. 

Transit-On-Demand hours effective May 1/24:

NOTE: No fare is required for the entire month of May to assist with the transition to transit-on-demand ending on June 2nd. 

Phase 1 is scheduled for June 2nd which will require fare for transit-on-demand zones with Routes 2, 7 and 8 still retained until Phase 2 when they will be changed. 

Zone A Hours

• Weekday: 5:30am–11:30pm
  • Saturday: 7:30am–11:30pm
  • Sunday: 9am–10:30pm

Zone B Hours:

• Weekday: 5:30am–12am
  • Saturday: 7:30am–12am
  • Sunday: 9am–10pm

Zone C Hours:

• Weekday: 5:30am–11:30pm
  • Saturday: 7am–11:30pm
  • Sunday: 9:30am–9:30pm

Zone D Hours:

• Weekday: 5:30am–12:30am
  • Saturday: 6:30am–12am
  • Sunday: 8:30am–9:30pm

Zone G Hours:

• Weekday: 5:30am–12am
  • Saturday: 6:30am–12am
  • Sunday: 8:30am–10pm

I have attached the maps which Phase 1 would be the one happening on May 1st with some overlap with conventional routes. Trying to explain the zones would be too difficult without a visual aid to show where the coverage area is. 

Phase 2 date is still to be confirmed or TBC for short. This hinges on when the Barrie Allandale Transit Terminal opens.

Final comments:

No schedules posted for the conventional routes yet. I expect sometime next month. Once the info is available, I will be sure to share here.

Transit-on-demand will definitely be a major shift because pre-planning is required needing to accommodate flexibility if other passengers are booking at the same time. Since there is no transit schedule, just hours of operations. To better match demand since some sections don't have a lot of ridership compared to other sections that can generate a lot of corridor demand like Bayfield or Johnson Street.

One example: Zone B services St. Mary's Seniors Residence on Amelia Street which a regular conventional bus cannot reach the front door compared to a specialized transit vehicle which has more mobility to accommodate. 

It is a big adjustment for those that are used to fixed conventional service. At the same time, the overlap in May is intended to help ease the transition along with no fare required to help better understand transit-on-demand. 

New-Transit-Network_Phase-1-and-2-Network-Maps.pdf

Zone maps are now available for the transit-on-demand service with detailed stop locations and connection points. Seeing the stops being installed with the poles, but no signs up yet.

Unfortunately I am not able to attach the files due to limitation sizes. Will attach the links instead:

Zone A https://www.barrie.ca/Transit-ON-Demand-Zone-A.pdf

Zone B https://www.barrie.ca/Transit-ON-Demand-Zone-B.pdf

Zone C https://www.barrie.ca/Transit-ON-Demand-Zone-C.pdf

Zone D https://www.barrie.ca/Transit-ON-Demand-Zone-D.pdf

Zone G https://www.barrie.ca/Transit-ON-Demand-Zone-G.pdf

New Transit Network Info sessions are available on these dates:

Monday, April 22, 2024 | 12:00–2:00pm at City Hall Rotunda (70 Collier Street)

Wednesday, April 24, 2024 | 10:30am–1:30pm at Parkview Centre (189 Blake Street)

Friday, April 26, 2024 | 10:30am–1:30pm at Allandale Recreation Centre (190 Bayview Avenue)

Saturday, May 18, 2024 | 9:30am–1:00pm at Barrie Farmer's Market outside of City Hall (70 Collier Street)

Final comments:

The info sessions are pretty limited considering that they are either in the morning or afternoon. At the same time, they don't really target the places for travellers that could benefit such as the downtown transit terminal where most transfers are made. Or a session at the college where most of the ridership comes from. 

I guess with the world wide web today, info is more accessible online for those with a web connection. Though some people still prefer paper copies of info versus digital.