Fall 2020 NovaBus LFS Order

Enviro_1203

10 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

4777 is in Ottawa

AEFFCEE9-3311-4738-A7CC-A177B74891CE.jpeg

Will all new nova's have their bike rack removed? IIRC, those that went into service later in the winter kept theirs on? There should have been an announcement today/recently to discontinue rack and roll, but I haven't seen anything yet, unless they're being taken off without telling anyone.

21 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Will all new nova's have their bike rack removed? IIRC, those that went into service later in the winter kept theirs on? There should have been an announcement today/recently to discontinue rack and roll, but I haven't seen anything yet, unless they're being taken off without telling anyone.

The dates of Rack & Roll are publicly advertised each year...however, its common knowledge that the racks are on from Spring to Fall. They have also started to come off already, slowly from what I have noticed. The buses come with the racks equipped so Nova doesn’t have to ship them separately later on. They will be removed and stored until the spring. 

Only one unit from the previous batch made it in service with the rack on (prior to Rack & Roll season starting) by complete accident, and it was removed 2 days later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

So when all the new Nova's are in what will be the last fleet #?

The fleet numbers for current delivery of 74 new Nova LFS's would be 4776 to 4849.

Here's an interesting fact: During the 2020 Budget (approved last year in 2019), the amount of buses requested for purchase was 63 units (https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7848&doctype=agenda&itemid=391068 - go to the PDF file titled 2020 Draft Budget Transit FULL EN.pdf, PDF pg 32 of 49, with the heading titled "909752 Bus Replacement"). That is an additional 11 units received on top of the 63 units requested. 

So if 4849 is the last Fleet # of this order, and assuming OC gets Nova's again or aother bus model  they could get 151 buses in 2023(next order)before having to go back to 4000-4199(prevoius Orion VI 4001-4140)? I'm guessing they will start over again using the same fleet numbers. Unless they go electric  and use another set of fleet numbers 7XXX series?

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So if 4849 is the last Fleet # of this order, and assuming OC gets Nova's again or aother bus model  they could get 151 buses in 2023(next order)before having to go back to 4000-4199(prevoius Orion VI 4001-4140)? I'm guessing they will start over again using the same fleet numbers. Unless they go electric  and use another set of fleet numbers 7XXX series?

IMO, because OC likes to buy their buses in bulk and just replace every 10 years instead of annually like the STO does, I think they should adopt an STM style fleet numbering system. so lets say we surpass 4XXX. The first Nova in that batch in 2023 would be numbered 23-001 (Year-Unit#), which could apply to any bus for that matter, like new artic LFS, DD's, etc. At least that's my opinion. Unless like you said, they get electric and want to give it a new fleet number designation (7XXX), then I guess it'll buy them time for about 30 years until they run back into the same problem we're possibly about to have in a few years with 4XXX and 6XXX series, where we could surpass 4999 and 6999 respectively. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I think they should adopt an STM style fleet numbering system.

Numbering buses by the year they were acquired is what most other Ontario agencies do (except the TTC and GO), and OC Transpo used to do it as well before the Inveros first came along.

This idea of grouping the numbers by the type of bus never quite made sense to me (especially once the Orions and DDs came along and broke the entire 4XXX/6XXX naming logic) and as much as OC has much much bigger problems these days I wish they would just stop doing this and go back to numbering by year.

It’s only a number that is used identify a particular bus.

Buses are numbered in a system by the operator which suits the particular software that they use, as long as they can track that bus by its individual number that’s all that they are concerned with.

There is absolutely no need to have a year based numbering system as it would not offer any advantage to OC Transpo over their current numbering system.

Altering the fleet numbers would make sense though. OC has run themselves into a future issue with the fleet numbering system unless they are willing to reuse numbers. 4001-4999 will be gone within 5-6 years (I’m aware that’s a while away to deal with now ), 5000s were used for hybrids and 6001-6709 are gone. So unless OC is willing to go back to 5178 for future nova hybrids post 2023 there’s going to be a issue. There’s also internal OC vehicles that aren’t for revenue service that take up fleet numbers in the computers 

with large bulk orders as they do, a STM style fleet numbering would work wonders for simplicity

going forward would look like 

23-001 to 23-599 for 40s 

23-600 to 23-999 For 60s if they choose to continue to separate 

5 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Altering the fleet numbers would make sense though. OC has run themselves into a future issue with the fleet numbering system unless they are willing to reuse numbers. 4001-4999 will be gone within 5-6 years (I’m aware that’s a while away to deal with now ), 5000s were used for hybrids and 6001-6709 are gone. So unless OC is willing to go back to 5178 for future nova hybrids post 2023 there’s going to be a issue. There’s also internal OC vehicles that aren’t for revenue service that take up fleet numbers in the computers 

with large bulk orders as they do, a STM style fleet numbering would work wonders for simplicity

going forward would look like 

23-001 to 23-599 for 40s 

23-600 to 23-999 For 60s if they choose to continue to separate 

Non-Revenue Vehicles are numbered with all other city vehicles, in a X0-0000 format. I believe buses are a subset of that same numbering system, but I could be wrong.

A system with the first two digits as a year creates issues when you procure more than 100 vehicles a year. Remember, if we get 74 Novas and 19 Double Deckers this year we're very close to 100. Any year that Para Transpo vehicles get replaced would almost certainly go over 100. There's a reason OC, GO and TTC Don't use year-based numbers: they're the biggest agencies.

Central SMT is right, the numbers could be random, it doesn't really matter to the computer. Data can be archived if old numbers need to be recycled.

True, but from what I heard  OC computers have issues with the first digit being 0? Whether that's true or not, that I can't answer only going by what I heard.

From what  I heard the reason OC went to non based year to series based numbering system was that they decided to go like this:

2XXX=20 something  foot bus

3xxxx=30 or 35 foot bus

4xxx=40 foot bus

6xxx=60 foot bus

7xxx= 70 foot bus(double artics)which OC was looking at in the 90's.

I'm guessing the 8XXX= 2X40 for the Double Decker's each level being aabout 40 feet long.

Okay everyone, lets get back on topic please. Yes, in the future, without any changes, we will run into a situation where the current numbering scheme would be thrown out of theme. Any future discussion of fleet number usage should be discussed.

On that note, 4777, 4797 and 4798 have entered service.

• Thanks 2