Used Buses

WpgBusDriver

Sounds like a hell of a good deal. So why couldn't Winnipeg do this for the RT routes???

==============================================================================================

Saskatoon Transit buys six used buses

The StarPhoenix

The city is buying six used accordion-style or articulating buses from Ottawa.

City council approved a report Monday night to buy the buses for $39,000 each from New Flyer Industries. The city will spend $10,000 to $15,000 per bus getting them to Saskatoon and ensuring the buses are "road ready," a city report says.

The buses are $750,000 new, said Jeff Jorgenson, the city's general manager of utitlity services.

"Every time we do the math on these purchases, the results are extremely favourable," Jorgenson said.

The transit department has been refurbishing buses or buying used buses in order to replace and grow an aging fleet.

In 2009, Sasktoon Transit riders bought three new accordion-style buses for $2.3 million, the first articulating buses in the city.

© Copyright © The StarPhoenix

Sounds like a hell of a good deal. So why couldn't Winnipeg do this for the RT routes???

==============================================================================================

Saskatoon Transit buys six used buses

The StarPhoenix

The city is buying six used accordion-style or articulating buses from Ottawa.

City council approved a report Monday night to buy the buses for $39,000 each from New Flyer Industries. The city will spend $10,000 to $15,000 per bus getting them to Saskatoon and ensuring the buses are "road ready," a city report says.

The buses are $750,000 new, said Jeff Jorgenson, the city's general manager of utitlity services.

"Every time we do the math on these purchases, the results are extremely favourable," Jorgenson said.

The transit department has been refurbishing buses or buying used buses in order to replace and grow an aging fleet.

In 2009, Sasktoon Transit riders bought three new accordion-style buses for $2.3 million, the first articulating buses in the city.

© Copyright © The StarPhoenix

We do know that the buses have the option to not refurbish. That could be why its so cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

We should see if Quebec wants to give up some Nova LFS's. 20-30, with RT livery added, would be pretty wicked, although an conflict with an all-NFI fleet.

Also an little off-topic, but since theres only 3 left of 340-369, could they be re-numbered into the 370-399 category? Or maybe just the two and make the third an publicity bus?

We should see if Quebec wants to give up some Nova LFS's. 20-30, with RT livery added, would be pretty wicked, although an conflict with an all-NFI fleet.

Also an little off-topic, but since theres only 3 left of 340-369, could they be re-numbered into the 370-399 category? Or maybe just the two and make the third an publicity bus?

Not sure which Quebec property you're referring to, but there's not much life left in the first generation LFSs unless they are rebuilt, since they are now at least 13 years old and they were not great buses, at least for STM, to begin with. Is there any evidence that WT requires additional (peak) buses to operate the SWRT? Even if there is (which I doubt), the latest order of 601-640 combined with a less than one to one retirement rate of D40s and Classics could provide the difference.

No need to renumber the three buses remaining from 340-366 (not 340-369). They should be gone with the arrival of the 601s.

Everyone is getting articulated busses. But us. :(

I did hear a story that Winnipeg Transit was investigating buying some of New Flyer's trade-in D60LF's from Ottawa. I think NFI has since sold them to a broker but Winnipeg Transit was still considering it last I heard.

I did hear a story that Winnipeg Transit was investigating buying some of New Flyer's trade-in D60LF's from Ottawa. I think NFI has since sold them to a broker but Winnipeg Transit was still considering it last I heard.

Winnipeg Transit is considering them!? Strange enough they test out a DE60LFR before but they are not considering buying articulated buses due to too much snow/sand used in winter...........now that idea is back because of the price tag?!

Winnipeg Transit is considering them!? Strange enough they test out a DE60LFR before but they are not considering buying articulated buses due to too much snow/sand used in winter...........now that idea is back because of the price tag?!

I don't buy that. Don't Edmonton have them? And they're no worse than we are. And look at Saskatoon!

Reportedly they did seem to have had two problems with the DE60LFR trial: persistent trouble with road grit in the turntable, and the hybrid fuel economy didn't measure out as big enough it for the predicted cost of maintaining the more complex drive train. At least those were the stories I was told. If those were the outcome of the trial I would have expected the second reason, fuel economy, to have been the bigger problem.

The ex-Ottawa D60LF's are not hybrids, and there are opinions that for the rt to really be a revolution in transit service the public needs to perceive it as a whole new technology. Artic's would be a big part of that.

Reportedly they did seem to have had two problems with the DE60LFR trial: persistent trouble with road grit in the turntable, and the hybrid fuel economy didn't measure out as big enough it for the predicted cost of maintaining the more complex drive train. At least those were the stories I was told. If those were the outcome of the trial I would have expected the second reason, fuel economy, to have been the bigger problem.

The ex-Ottawa D60LF's are not hybrids, and there are opinions that for the rt to really be a revolution in transit service the public needs to perceive it as a whole new technology. Artic's would be a big part of that.

Agreed. rt needs to look as much as possible like Rapid Transit. Also, talked to someone today about RT, he cant wait to ride it! Same here as well. Travel under the tunnel over and over again :P

Agreed. rt needs to look as much as possible like Rapid Transit. Also, talked to someone today about RT, he cant wait to ride it! Same here as well. Travel under the tunnel over and over again :P

Last time I was in Winnipeg, I was talking with a driver, and he mentioned that many people say they are excited for the Rapit Transit / Busway / Transit Way thing.

If only they will finish the second leg. W00t! Rapid transit! Oh wait, three stops. Then back to Pembina. I just hope that once it's up and running, it gives them more incentive to hurry up.

The tunnel and Osborne Station alone is going to get me riding the SWRTC repeatedly :P

Dont forget possible FRG views! Can get pictures of D40s as close to the garage as I can get :D