TTC Application Process

ericgu22

8 hours ago, 905r said:

Hi Everyone, 

I just finished my subway training,  and am now certified and ready to go!  If anyone has any questions let me know.   Thanks for the support during this phase.   To all those waiting on a call/interview/start date etc...  all the best to you. 

Hello 905r (and all other recent Subway grads), 

A big congratulations to you on the pass.. great work!

I appreciate your willingness to help out those that are coming after you and I do have a few questions myself. I am hoping that you could shed some light on certain unknowns that I have in regards to the Subway Training Program.

I would like to know exactly how long the course is, whether or not you are required to upgrade your driver's license and if so, to what class of license and when in the training does the licensing test take place. Also, I would appreciate it if you would speak on the other types of testing that are required and how often they take place, the scoring needed to pass and when I would be able to try driving the Subway, both in the simulator and for real. Lastly, please add any other information that you feel is relevant, (tips, tricks, etc..).

Thank you for all of your feedback in advance and again, congrats on moving on to the next phase!

5 hours ago, Rockstarr said:

Hello 905r (and all other recent Subway grads), 

A big congratulations to you on the pass.. great work!

I appreciate your willingness to help out those that are coming after you and I do have a few questions myself. I am hoping that you could shed some light on certain unknowns that I have in regards to the Subway Training Program.

I would like to know exactly how long the course is, whether or not you are required to upgrade your driver's license and if so, to what class of license and when in the training does the licensing test take place. Also, I would appreciate it if you would speak on the other types of testing that are required and how often they take place, the scoring needed to pass and when I would be able to try driving the Subway, both in the simulator and for real. Lastly, please add any other information that you feel is relevant, (tips, tricks, etc..).

Thank you for all of your feedback in advance and again, congrats on moving on to the next phase!

I'm not a subway operator, but I can still answer a few of those questions. You are not required to upgrade your license as a subway operator, a G license is all you need. The only mode that requires a higher class of license is bus, and it's a CZ that they are trained to acquire. With subway and streetcar, none of this is required. All tests written and practical require you to score at least 80% in order to pass.

Hi @Rockstarr

Training is 27 days long. As @TTCOpITM said there are no additional licencing requirements.   Your G class is the only licence you need. There are various tests throughout training including written and practical.  You will be given a schedule of these on day 1 of training.  The best advice I can give is to ask questions if you don't understand something,  and do the assigned homework.   You will most likely be in the simulator on day 2 and in the yard on the train on day 3 or 4. Dead heading (no passengers) on the line shortly after that. Your training schedule will confirm all of this information.   All the best to you. 

On 07/07/2017 at 12:50 AM, andyman said:

Actually 3.

I could you explain how it should be 3 weeks?  In d selection and being told 2 weeks only still.

Thx

1 minute ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Basically in your first vacation sign up, you are entitle to 2 weeks.  The following year is 3 weeks.

Yes that's what I posted back then and was corrected that it was actually 3.  I see now it was someone else saying 3, not you.  Thanks

8 hours ago, Funkyboodah said:

Hello, new to this board.  I attended the info session October 25, feel good about my tests, patiently waiting for interview call/email.  For the Job shadow assignments,  did anyone have an operator not be helpful or gave you attitude when asking questions.  Cheers.

Congratulations! As per my personal experience, they were all approachable and willing to answer the questions the best they could. They're informative and  nice. When you introduce to them that you are going to do a job shadow they understand right away how we're coming from because they all went through the same process we do. Good luck to you and cheers!?

4 hours ago, fembot said:

I am waiting as well, how many q's do you think you answered? were you in the am class? how many classes were there? 

I was in the pm class and I answered all of 1st page and I think 2 or 3 on second page.

1 hour ago, Libra said:

Congratulations! As per my personal experience, they were all approachable and willing to answer the questions the best they could. They're informative and  nice. When you introduce to them that you are going to do a job shadow they understand right away how we're coming from because they all went through the same process we do. Good luck to you and cheers!?

Thanks, I figured.  Obviously if the bus/streetcar is too busy I won't approach them.

21 hours ago, Funkyboodah said:

I was in the pm class and I answered all of 1st page and I think 2 or 3 on second page.

Thanks, I figured.  Obviously if the bus/streetcar is too busy I won't approach them.

i guess they have change it again.  Last time I had a guy came up and told he was there to observe me and write what he saw.  

Hi all, had an interview last week feel like it went quite well, reference letter was good and had every other document requested. When it was over I was asked to sign a consent form for the vulnerable police check and asked if it’s alright to contact my references... Now, I have a question. 

If they ask you to sign the VPC after the interview and ask permission for contact of references is this still a good sign?? 

I’ve seen past posts say it is but just need updated clarification, has anyone gone through the interview stage within the last few months, signed the VPC, but still got rejected? 

Just wanted to know if the process has been switched up a bit to the point where everyone signs it now...

They have not contacted my references yet, Ive seen references get contacted with a few days so just wondering... 

I am now playing the waiting game.

(**nibbling finder tips in anticipation**)

1 hour ago, sheisoptimistic said:

Hi all, had an interview last week feel like it went quite well, reference letter was good and had every other document requested. When it was over I was asked to sign a consent form for the vulnerable police check and asked if it’s alright to contact my references... Now, I have a question. 

If they ask you to sign the VPC after the interview and ask permission for contact of references is this still a good sign?? 

I’ve seen past posts say it is but just need updated clarification if anyone has gone through the interview stage within the last few months, signed it, but still got rejected? 

Just wanted to know if the process has been switched up a bit to the point where everyone signs it now...

They have not contacted my references yet, Ive seen references get contacted with a few days so just wondering... 

I am now playing the waiting game.

(**nibbling finder tips in anticipation**)

Congrats on the next phase, question..when was your info session, for timeline purpose.   I'm still waiting for interview call.  Cheers.

28 minutes ago, Ricstar13 said:

Hello I interviewed last week also and was asked to sign VPC and asked for permission to contact references before my interview started think it’s just part of the process now.... good luck 

thanks for the reply, i guess it is apart of the process now, reading through the forum when people were asked it was because the interview went good i guess it’s just the routine now so it’s a toss up... guess the waiting game continues. good luck to you as well

Forgive me if this has been asked;

For the references, the TTC wants immediate Supervisor contact for previous or current employment....

What to do if past employment was a placement  for a job agency or the Supervisor has moved to a different company and or position?

I wish everyone the best of luck in their career path and endevours.

Been lurking around here as a guest for a while, figured I would chime in since this thread appears to have slowed down.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:50 PM, KMB_BUS said:

Forgive me if this has been asked;

For the references, the TTC wants immediate Supervisor contact for previous or current employment....

What to do if past employment was a placement  for a job agency or the Supervisor has moved to a different company and or position?

I wish everyone the best of luck in their career path and endevours.

I experienced this situation when organizing my references. If the job was through a placement agency, make sure to provide the contact information for the agency (and the individual at the agency who handled your placement) so that at the very minimum the reference check can confirm your employment start and end dates. I highly recommend contacting the placement agency you worked through prior to giving the information to the TTC to ensure they are willing to accept a call confirming your previous employment.

Hello All,

Happy Sunday everyone!

Got a few questions for bus mode day 16 on Wilson training centre. 

What am I going to expect on test day for day 16? Routes, any tough turns, any info you have on day 16 would be a BIG help.

As for turns on day 16. Did you accelerate on your turns or you made the bus turn itself ( retarder). I am finding it difficult to turn if i don't accelerate. I was wondering if turning using just the retarder and accelerating once the turn is done is recommeneded. Does the examiners get angry for being slow on turns? Or they valur the operators patience and accuracy more?

Thanks