TTC Application Process

ericgu22

20 hours ago, slowtyper said:

You're fine regarding.  I didn't ask anything,  I told them they were extremely thorough and gave me all the info I needed and I passed the interview.   It's a long wait,  just relax nothing you can do now.   Maybe send  follow up thank you email. 

ideally you should ask questions regardless if you already have background knowledge of the company.  It shows you that you are really interested in the company.  Obviously you want o ask some intelligent questions.

23 hours ago, Larryzhu said:

Day 7 training, day 3 driving on the road.  Struggled  with right turns (alternate), also nervous while in the driver's seat. Anybody has any idea how I could improve on it? 

Thanks a lot

I know what you mean. I'm on day 25 streetcar training (the program is 32 days in total) and on day 2 they put us on the new low floor streetcars, 30 meters long and 55 tons. We were at Leslie Barns the second day on our first two weeks with the low floors. They gave us 10 minutes each on the simulator and then we hit the road with the real thing. We each drove around 30 minutes that night around downtown Toronto. A day earlier we didn't even know what a streetcar was. The next day they were letting us operate a $6 million machine during evening rush hour traffic! If you think it's challenging making right turns with a bus, try turning the low floor  on McCaul street where people park their cars not even an inch from the rail clearance.

Just remember that it's natural to feel nervous at first. Your trainers know you're nervous, after all they've been in your shoes. These are only your first days so obviously things look daunting. But six months down the road you'll drive like a pro. Take a deep breath before you move and just think positive. You'll get better with time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Betablocker said:

I know what you mean. I'm on day 25 streetcar training (the program is 32 days in total) and on day 2 they put us on the new low floor streetcars, 30 meters long and 55 tons. We were at Leslie Barns the second day on our first two weeks with the low floors. They gave us 10 minutes each on the simulator and then we hit the road with the real thing. We each drove around 30 minutes that night around downtown Toronto. A day earlier we didn't even know what a streetcar was. The next day they were letting operate a $6 million machine during evening rush hour traffic! If you think it's challenging making right turns with a bus, try turning the low floor  on McCaul street where people park their cars not even an inch from the rail clearance.

Just remember that it's natural to feel nervous at first. Your trainers know you're nervous, after all they've been in your shoes. These are only your first days so obviously things look daunting. But six months down the road you'll drive like a pro. Take a deep breath before you move and just think positive. You'll get better with time.

You always a cheer me up thanks a lot brother

On 25/11/2016 at 8:32 PM, Betablocker said:

I know what you mean. I'm on day 25 streetcar training (the program is 32 days in total) and on day 2 they put us on the new low floor streetcars, 30 meters long and 55 tons. We were at Leslie Barns the second day on our first two weeks with the low floors. They gave us 10 minutes each on the simulator and then we hit the road with the real thing. We each drove around 30 minutes that night around downtown Toronto. A day earlier we didn't even know what a streetcar was. The next day they were letting us operate a $6 million machine during evening rush hour traffic! If you think it's challenging making right turns with a bus, try turning the low floor  on McCaul street where people park their cars not even an inch from the rail clearance.

hahaahan mcCaul short turn aka DEATH VALLEY...most clearance incidents ...wait till winter time when snow pushes the parked cars closer to your clearance.....dont be afraid to call CIS and tell them you wont clear the park cars and dont let them pressure you into trying to squeeze through.  I mustve called cis about 5 times last winter and told them i couldnt clear a park car

On 11/24/2016 at 9:30 PM, Larryzhu said:

Day 7 training, day 3 driving on the road.  Struggled  with right turns (alternate), also nervous while in the driver's seat. Anybody has any idea how I could improve on it? 

Thanks a lot

I'm going to take a page from what my instructor used to tell me when I was in training. "Use up the real estate, that's what it's there for!"

Meaning when you're making an alternate you are assuming to take part of the incoming road path, well using an inch would be no different than using the entire lane, that's your "real estate" area to work with. When the bus is halfway past the end of the curb start turning the wheel while not accelerating the gas pedal, turn the wheel 2.5x and just hold it firm and the bus will make a perfect turn and the wheels will follow. Soon as the rear wheels are passed the end of the curve you can start to re-align your steering wheel and the bus will correct itself. Do it slow, the trainers aren't in a hurry and better to show you are willing to have patience than to rub a curb and leave them to think you are uncertain.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, a1brt said:

30mins is more than enough, but make sure you're anywhere between 15-30 earlier. They will give you some paperwork to fill out, but mine didn't provide the paperwork until the proposed time.

Alright perfect I will be sure to show up 30 minutes early just in case then! thank you @a1brt

On 2016-11-13 at 8:18 PM, slowtyper said:

No training starting December but they do documentation in December.   I wonder if there will be more training spots filled in January or a longer wait between documentation and training.   Anyone know what last happened last year?

On 2016-11-13 at 9:02 PM, essen5 said:

Last day of the training for the yr would be Dec 24th and all the instructors will be on a week vacay.  So the last class would start around 22nd of Nov.  Hope this helps! Good luck to those on the pipeline. Patience is virtue so sit back and enjoy the holidays! :) 

Just doing some math out loud to see if anyone has anything to add. From the posts here, there have been weekly (or more often?) documentation sessions since early November, when they stopped calling people for training due to the December freeze. If it continues through December on a weekly basis, considering Documentation sessions are generally 12 people, we're looking at something like 80, maybe as many as 96 people in Pool A come January. Even if they were bi-weekly, they'd have near 50 people ready to start training in the New Year. 

If you're a current operator, can you please clarify if there are more classes starting in January-February than other months? Do you see more classes in your division this time of year or is it regular?

I'm sorry I couldn't identify a spread between documentation and training calls over December-January in timelines previously posted, plus this seems to be the busiest recruiting there has ever been.

I know my documentation group was told we'd probably be called to start in January. You guys doing documentation these days, what's the HR rep telling you about training start dates?

6 minutes ago, a1brt said:

Had my medical on October 24th, still have not received a call for documentation, been over a month now :( is that normal? Do they send you an email/call when you pass medical or the next call I receive is documentation?

And how long is the wait between documentation and a call for training day and division+mode?

Thanks

You're next going to be called for documentation. They don't acknowledge that you passed medical, although someone recently said they did. In any case, if there had been a problem, then they'd have called. Have you received and submitted your police clearance letter? That's what's after or around the time of medical.

As for the wait, I suggest, if you haven't yet, look up previous timelines on this topic. Even if you have, there's the issue of December and the holidays (see my last post).  

• Like 1

For those that are curious about training in Jan...this yr(2016) the first training class started around the 3rd week of Jan. I'm pretty sure they ain't doing any documentations during holidays...so those of you waiting to get a Doc call, you probably have to wait till the new year. No news after medical is a good news. They only contact you if they're concerned about your medical otherwise they'll just call you for documentation. Hope this help...and Fido good to hear from you bro...hope things r good on your side...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, a1brt said:

Had my medical on October 24th, still have not received a call for documentation, been over a month now :( is that normal? Do they send you an email/call when you pass medical or the next call I receive is documentation?

And how long is the wait between documentation and a call for training day and division+mode?

Thanks

Yeah that is normal. I know the feeling you have of knowing you passed medical but until you get the call for documentation you still have that feeling of uneasiness. You're probably going to receive a call in 1 - 2 weeks as your medicals were roughly 2 weeks after mine. They're probably going to call you on a Thursday or Friday to schedule you for the following Wednesday. 

In regards to the wait time from documentation to a call for training, it is really going to vary as it is the new year. There is most likely going to be a slight backlog but they're going to call the people who completed their medicals first even if you did documentation before them (This is what we were told at documentation this week). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a1brt said:

Thanks

I also had my medical on October 24th. Still waiting for the doc call as well :). We will probably be called to the same day so I'll see you there haha.

Monday is the big day. We're doing the final driving tests, 504 King with CLRV and 510 Spadina with the low floor. Wrapped up divisional training this week. When we pass the final test we get 3 additional days of divisional training and then sign slip or spare board. Looking forward to wrap up training because it's been tiring. Got some great paying crews with the trainers this week. Any helpful tips for the final test? All my trainers were pretty impressed with my driving and I maintained over 90% average on all the practical tests so I feel pretty confident.

• Like 1