TTC Application Process

ericgu22

13 hours ago, TTC-excited said:

Thankyou all for replying.I just called her and asked her if there is a possibility to switch me to close to my home with the same start date,she said she can do that but with same start date is not possible.i would have to wait.i asked her how long she said she does not know but i will be on the top of the pool.but the thing is i have already given my current employer vaccation notice.So i will stick to what i have right now.And honestly speaking every mode will be totally a new experience for me whether bus,train or street car.She also told me in bus or street car you get good customer service experience but at the same time you get bad people too.in subway you are sheltered.

I totaly agree that they place us where we are needed as i remember in the orientation session they told us that they will try to fit us closer to our place if not than they will place us upon the requirements of business needs.

So i am all set to start with subway.Hoping it would be a good experience for me.I do not have any phobia of being underground but only time will tell as i said every mode will be a totally new experience for me.

She also told me if you want to do that than now is the time as it could be more difficult to do it later because of the training involved for bus or street car but than for that i would have to wait and that i can't stand.

what i should have done is i should have prepared in my mind what mode i prefer over other and once i receive the call for start date i should have figured out with them to switch me to my prefered spot at that very time so that I would have given my current employer one notice.

But anyways i am excited that i am starting with ttc.clearing the test is the most important thing.will work hard and see how things goes in future.

I have a feeling that after some time subway will get boring for me as i am more towards customer serivce but that can only happen once i step in,pass the test and apply for transfer to closer division with bus or street car.

The hardest part of your day at YUS is trying to beat the horde of people up the escalator at Finch station during your two train step back in order to get a coffee.

13 hours ago, TTC-excited said:

Thankyou all for replying.I just called her and asked her if there is a possibility to switch me to close to my home with the same start date,she said she can do that but with same start date is not possible.i would have to wait.i asked her how long she said she does not know but i will be on the top of the pool.but the thing is i have already given my current employer vaccation notice.So i will stick to what i have right now.And honestly speaking every mode will be totally a new experience for me whether bus,train or street car.She also told me in bus or street car you get good customer service experience but at the same time you get bad people too.in subway you are sheltered.

I totaly agree that they place us where we are needed as i remember in the orientation session they told us that they will try to fit us closer to our place if not than they will place us upon the requirements of business needs.

So i am all set to start with subway.Hoping it would be a good experience for me.I do not have any phobia of being underground but only time will tell as i said every mode will be a totally new experience for me.

She also told me if you want to do that than now is the time as it could be more difficult to do it later because of the training involved for bus or street car but than for that i would have to wait and that i can't stand.

what i should have done is i should have prepared in my mind what mode i prefer over other and once i receive the call for start date i should have figured out with them to switch me to my prefered spot at that very time so that I would have given my current employer one notice.

But anyways i am excited that i am starting with ttc.clearing the test is the most important thing.will work hard and see how things goes in future.

I have a feeling that after some time subway will get boring for me as i am more towards customer serivce but that can only happen once i step in,pass the test and apply for transfer to closer division with bus or street car.

Also don't hold up too much hope for transferring out of YUS (wilson).  I tried to get to queensway.. got my bid back red inked no go.   They really make you wait the two years.  Bleh.

6 hours ago, Captain Slow said:

Pretty close, but Queensway is the most senior amongst bus divisions.  It is also more senior than both streetcar.

For the record the one cool thing about Subway is that you're working with a partner.  I can't speak for the BD (but it's probably the same), but at Wilson most of us are super chummy.  You spend a lot of time with the same core group of people (since you're generally signing together or ending up together because of similar seniority) so you really get to know each other.  Fast.   The people at Wilson division have been awesome to work with in the year and a half I've been there.   I think you will find the same thing TTC-excited.  

The seniority is awful though.. honestly.  It's even worse than you think...   I'm really excited that you're coming for reasons that are very selfish :D

6 hours ago, i87 said:

And then when do you start?

I'll give you all my dates so you can get an idea:

September 7, 2015 - Application Submitted

December 8, 2015 - Information Session

January 20, 2016 - Interview

January 27, 2016 - References called 

February 2, 2016 - Notice of passing interview

February 3, 2016 - Conditional Offer signed

February 8, 2016 - Medical Assessment

February 18, 2016 - Police Check received

March 24, 2016 – Documentation

May 3, 2016 – Training begins – Streetcar Russell 

19 hours ago, 21 Brimley said:

I prefer an portable hoist option to be exact.

Except not all maintenance work could be done easily with temporary hoists. It takes longer to setup and pose more danger of tripping the bus than a permanent hoist. Buses will still have to rotate through another division for other problems such as body work.

21 hours ago, OperatorP said:

I'll give you all my dates so you can get an idea:

September 7, 2015 - Application Submitted

December 8, 2015 - Information Session

January 20, 2016 - Interview

January 27, 2016 - References called 

February 2, 2016 - Notice of passing interview

February 3, 2016 - Conditional Offer signed

February 8, 2016 - Medical Assessment

February 18, 2016 - Police Check received

March 24, 2016 – Documentation

May 3, 2016 – Training begins – Streetcar Russell 

Wow, your process went really quickly. Mine took more than twice as long as that. It took 8 months just for me to be invited to an info session. I wonder why you're starting on a Tuesday when Monday isn't a special holiday or anything. Kinda strange.

1 hour ago, TTCOpITM said:

Wow, your process went really quickly. Mine took more than twice as long as that. It took 8 months just for me to be invited to an info session. I wonder why you're starting on a Tuesday when Monday isn't a special holiday or anything. Kinda strange.

Yeah it seems to be speeding up. My friend applied in January, info session in feb - has already had his interview and reference checks and is just waiting on conditional now.

Yes starting on a Tuesday is strange, wasn't expecting that.

1 hour ago, noahide07 said:

Hello,

Can someone shed some light as to what the 'documentation' stage entails?

Thank you!

Documentation is a group meeting (mine had a dozen other candidates) where you sign off on all the final paperwork i.e. Polices, insurance, etc. You must bring your ID, void cheque, clear police check and a new drivers abstract.

You get fitted for a uniform and make your uniform selections as well as get a photo taken for your employee pass. You will be assigned an employee number that day. You do not get a uniform that day, it's only a fitting. They also give you reporting instruction for your first day of training but cannot tell you when that will be (you will be notified at least two weeks before training).

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:54 AM, CocoonMaN said:

The hardest part of your day at YUS is trying to beat the horde of people up the escalator at Finch station during your two train step back in order to get a coffee.

Also don't hold up too much hope for transferring out of YUS (wilson).  I tried to get to queensway.. got my bid back red inked no go.   They really make you wait the two years.  Bleh.

Pretty close, but Queensway is the most senior amongst bus divisions.  It is also more senior than both streetcar.

For the record the one cool thing about Subway is that you're working with a partner.  I can't speak for the BD (but it's probably the same), but at Wilson most of us are super chummy.  You spend a lot of time with the same core group of people (since you're generally signing together or ending up together because of similar seniority) so you really get to know each other.  Fast.   The people at Wilson division have been awesome to work with in the year and a half I've been there.   I think you will find the same thing TTC-excited.  

The seniority is awful though.. honestly.  It's even worse than you think...   I'm really excited that you're coming for reasons that are very selfish :D

BD is the same thing, still old school where the guard is in the 5th car. Its the SRT that's one man operation.

Theres two Timmies at Finch station, one on either side. but your right the crowds especially in the morning is insane. If you do the crew that starts the step back you will have time. For me senority didn't matter too much because I choose what most people don't like. The only time it was difficult was when I was forced on the vacation board when new. As long as I was able to finish anywhere on Yonge street I was happy.  

On 30/04/2016 at 1:54 AM, CocoonMaN said:

Maybe 2 years ago Queensway was the most senior bus division but not any more.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

I think you guys are the most recent class since January.

I was told the pension was updated for Dec 2015? Recently though, so more people should be retiring.

Many people were waiting for the notice to come out (see the dry ink, so to speak). Since it did earlier this week, you'll see them start to go now.

Well they have to respect the agreement between the Union and Management. As discussed already, you can move to another division within the same mode (Bus-to-Bus, Subway-to-Subway, etc) in under two years when your new. But can't move to another mode (Bus-to-Subway, etc) within your first two years of service. You should have asked them before you but you bid in.

17 hours ago, kotraders said:

Is there anything I can do to prepare the info session and tests?

Couple years back, some ppl said listen to the info session carefully, any other practice tests that I can do to improve myself cuz I am not that good with tests

Go online and practice Wonderlic tests. The test the TTC uses is in the same format.

• Like 1