Station Refurbishments/Extensions (Outside the downtown)

mersar

Looks like they have a posting at that station, wonder what it will entail?
It's actually for Bow to Bluff, but I'm guessing that board was more-or-less aimed at getting suggestions for how the station could be better. Though, I don't think it really helped: at least 3/4 of the things people have written are completely ridiculous, downright stupid, or vulgar. The ones that ARE serious are actually good ideas (better lighting, more community space, real time train info :P).

Vmh1Cl.jpg

Also, 39th Avenue has had a bunch of markings painted around the tracks in the station area. Probably relating to this weekends closure, since construction isn't supposed to start until 2012 on that one either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Canyon Meadows looks ready to open. Exit ramp & stairs, new seating, lighting, and signage are all in place, along with two more real time signs.

Erlton is also nearing completion. The ramp and platform are in (although they seem to still be working on the platform), along with TVMs at the south end. Lighting, signage, seating are all in place. Two more real time signs there as well.

Meanwhile at Banff Trail they're still digging up ground north of the station.

Canyon Meadows looks ready to open. Exit ramp & stairs, new seating, lighting, and signage are all in place, along with two more real time signs.

Erlton is also nearing completion. The ramp and platform are in (although they seem to still be working on the platform), along with TVMs at the south end. Lighting, signage, seating are all in place. Two more real time signs there as well.

Meanwhile at Banff Trail they're still digging up ground north of the station.

Any new shelters added to canyon meadows or erlton? i would love to see brentwood style shelters everywhere!

Any new shelters added to canyon meadows or erlton? i would love to see brentwood style shelters everywhere!
No shelters at all.

Are the Brentwood shelters actually nice? Every time I've been in them (and it was cold outside) the heaters haven't been on. Good idea, though.

No shelters at all.

Are the Brentwood shelters actually nice? Every time I've been in them (and it was cold outside) the heaters haven't been on. Good idea, though.

That sucks figure CT is so Cheap! even with the heat off atleast theres a door to cut off the wind ( what a novel idea!)

And today the heat was working! its awsome warms up your legs and back thoroughly!

Nice. Glad they help.

All the construction equipment and slow orders have been removed from the south end of Canyon Meadows. Any day now.

The fence is gone today - it's open.

The fence is gone from Erlton too. The ground level crossing has also reopened.

Also, CT's site has been updated - now listing Banff Trail as likely being closed. http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/lrt_pla...nstruction.html

Erlton is done. Drove by it yesterday night and Calgary Transit really should have tried to upgrade the lighting on the whole platform. It looks weird with the orange/amber lights on the old part of the platform with the canopy and the new white colored lights newer part of the platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinook will be completely rebuilt, I actually got a sneak peak at a draft of the design recently and its pretty nice. Most of the reasoning relates to the volume of passenger movements and costs of maintaining a huge empty enclosed space. The new design has some interior area, but is more similar to McKnight or Fish Creek then the current Chinook station in its overall design. The bus loop is also getting a revamp as part of the redesign.

Chinook will be completely rebuilt, I actually got a sneak peak at a draft of the design recently and its pretty nice. Most of the reasoning relates to the volume of passenger movements and costs of maintaining a huge empty enclosed space. The new design has some interior area, but is more similar to McKnight or Fish Creek then the current Chinook station in its overall design. The bus loop is also getting a revamp as part of the redesign.

I was certainly hoping that it would be designed like McKnight, the mezzanine crossing of the tracks made no sense to me at all as the station is not in the middle of a roadway (like Memorial Drive, 36 Street NE, and Crowchild Trail) or with limited space (like Victoria Park/Stampede and Canyon Meadows).

So im guessing there will be a center-loading walk-on platform accessed by pedestrain crossings of the tracks at both ends of the platform w/ heated shelters on the platform as well as in the bus loop?

I am certainly looking forward to the new Chinook station, but the closure is going to be a royal pain in the rear. I mean the closure of Southland this past spring was a pain in the rear, and Chinook must have at least twice the number of ons and offs as Southland as well as a whole lot more connecting buses. Its not gonna be fun!

Hmm... Is this available online somewhere by chance?

I was certainly hoping that it would be designed like McKnight, the mezzanine crossing of the tracks made no sense to me at all as the station is not in the middle of a roadway (like Memorial Drive, 36 Street NE, and Crowchild Trail) or with limited space (like Victoria Park/Stampede and Canyon Meadows).

So im guessing there will be a center-loading walk-on platform accessed by pedestrain crossings of the tracks at both ends of the platform w/ heated shelters on the platform as well as in the bus loop?

I am certainly looking forward to the new Chinook station, but the closure is going to be a royal pain in the rear. I mean the closure of Southland this past spring was a pain in the rear, and Chinook must have at least twice the number of ons and offs as Southland as well as a whole lot more connecting buses. Its not gonna be fun!

I can't even imagine what it will like when University closes.

I can't even imagine what it will like when University closes.

University isn't slated for closure. Only Chinook, 39th Ave and Banff Trail currently are. The work at University will probably be similar to Brentwood, though probably small extensions to the platform on either end rather then all on one end.

Agreed, the number of people getting on and off at Chinook, especially to make bus connections, will inconvenience a ton of people compared to Southland...

But I hope like hell the people doing the design of the entire station look more to Saddletowne station than McKnight-Westwinds. Saddletowne station allows for much better passenger flows (on and off platform at both ends to both sides) than McKnight-Westwinds (One end of the platform to only one side, and then it's a huge walk to the bus stops. Might've been nice on paper, but from a passenger perspective, it sucks).

Given it's importance, I'm thinking the station is going to end up being a rather minimalistic design compared to what it should be. One of the nicer things about Chinook was the enclosed space around the front two thirds of the platform. Made it rather nice to be out of the wind most days.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

I also think it would work better looking like Saddletowne, albeit without the towers, and I'm not sure how much enclosed space Saddletowne will have because I havent seen it up close yet.

And I absolutely agree that it should have plenty of shelter. During weeks like this, stations I use (Lions Park, Banff Trail, downtown) have no heating, and stations like Brentwood and Heritage are full of people sheltering in the narrow entranceways.

Also, I have no idea why they are closing Banff Trail. It should be as easy to tack on extra platform as it was at Erlton and Canyon Meadows. And, that station is in better condition than Erlton, or pretty much any other station built between 1981 and 1987. Maybe it's related to the hole they've dug on the north side of the tracks where the substation is or was...

• 4 weeks later...

Brentwood now has the new canopy-mounted fluorescent lighting like Dalhousie. As well, the lamps in the shelters & some in the station have been converted to LEDs.

I use this station a bit and enjoy the upgrades! however they really need to repaint the bridge all the rust looks terrible!!!