Greyhound Run/Schedule Changes

roeco

7 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm curious as to why schedules 4001 & 4040 weren't moved to Plattsburgh instead of that travel Plaza? All the other trip rest stops were moved to Plattsburg from Albany?

I wonder if it was a time of day issue, I’m saying that without looking at the schedules right this second. 

56 minutes ago, traildriver said:

Maybe they intend to close their Albany

terminal?

Very possible…. City size doesn’t seem to be a barrier to their converting everything to curbside as evidenced by Oakland, Toledo and Knoxville. I will be impressed if they make a place like New York, Chicago or Dallas curbside. I doubt it would work well though. 

Curb side pick up al depends on where you are? If your in area's where it's warm all yar round like the southern states, but places ;ike in Canada or the Northern states where you get snow & is cold not so good. I dought you have passengers who want to stand by the roa side in minus Degre temps with wind chills in the minus degree in a snow storm.

31 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Curb side pick up al depends on where you are? If your in area's where it's warm all yar round like the southern states, but places ;ike in Canada or the Northern states where you get snow & is cold not so good. I dought you have passengers who want to stand by the roa side in minus Degre temps with wind chills in the minus degree in a snow storm.

Europe’s climate is not like the northern US… well unless you’re in Russia or an Eastern country maybe… but even then I don’t think it’s the exact same thing. Flix may be in for a rude awakening if they try to cookie cutter this based on their European model. Looking at their service they don’t even run on a consistent schedule… on their website it’s hard to figure out when they run. No schedules or anything. A bus comes up as running or it doesn’t. It’s bizarre.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:40 AM, MCIBUS said:

I'm curious as to why schedules 4001 & 4040 weren't moved to Plattsburgh instead of that travel Plaza? All the other trip rest stops were moved to Plattsburg from Albany?

Plattsburgh Station is located in a gas station north of town (in a rather pedestrian unfriendly place (which is surprising considering there is potential for more college traffic if they put it near SUNY Platts but whatever). Both the convenience store and I believe the gas station itself closes at midnight

I was waiting there with 2 passengers and it got rather dead and dark after it closed so I would imagine it not being the best rest stop if everything is pitch dark.

That is one location, I believe the Flix team, will do a better job of finding a better location. They seem to cater alot to the college population, so having a stop near Downtown would seem like their ideal scenario

But to answer your question, yes its mostly the time of arrival/departure issue (the place is closed)

19 hours ago, traildriver said:

Maybe they intend to close their Albany

terminal?

https://magic.collectorsolutions.com/magic-ui/en-US/Pay/Bill/Index/66e0aa1e-c66c-ec11-812b-c81f66dda3e4

This terminal apparently is still owned by First Group, which probably means it is as good as gone. Most likely, all bus service including Trailways will move across the river to Albany Rensselaer. Normally I am a big fan of multi-modal operations, but in this case the location of the Amtrak station is not the best and public transportation is nowhere near as robust as across the river.

Also we can probably also assume it will be a e-ticketing only station as well.

Apparently they moved their combined their Rochester, NY operation with Flix now. Now all bus will stop at Broad Street. Not the worst location, but still curbside and subject to elements with no benches. Megabus somehow moved fro that exact location to Amtrak's station, so I wonder if they could pull the same move.

18 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Very possible…. City size doesn’t seem to be a barrier to their converting everything to curbside as evidenced by Oakland, Toledo and Knoxville. I will be impressed if they make a place like New York, Chicago or Dallas curbside. I doubt it would work well though. 

Dallas and Chicago are most likely goners, as they are most likely still owned by First Group.

I have no idea where they will put their Chicago operations. There doesn't seem to be a logical place to put a terminal. Maybe they'll rent a parking lot like their NY operation? I would love to see the crowds of GH pax in a surface parking lot waiting for the bus. it would be utter mayhem. And just the thought of seeing CHICAGO (E), IL scares me.

For NY, I wouldn't worry too much. Flix apparently got into Boston, South Station, so I assume they would like to get into PABT and maybe Wash-Union Station as well

Its obvious that the days where bus operators build their own terminals are long over. Governments are now building trains stations and airports for airlines, but it seems like bus operators gets either nothing, or get a "might as well" location in the new train station/or transit terminal

17 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Looking at their service they don’t even run on a consistent schedule… on their website it’s hard to figure out when they run. No schedules or anything. A bus comes up as running or it doesn’t. It’s bizarre.

To be fair, alot of operators these days aren't exactly transparent with their schedules as well.  Amtrak used to be better about this, but its also hard to find a timetable anymore. Either the link is old or it doesn't exist anymore

Greyhound itself doesn't display any public timetables for the public as well. They have their extranet website, which is designed for employees and their interlines (and found by some bus/rail fans) If the public knows about their extranet website and looks at their actual operation (pathetically small) versus their stereotype (they go everywhere in the US) they would be very disappointed.

Megabus, Peter Pan also don't display schedules without searching point to point. ADT/NYT used to print their schedule sections but I stopped seeing them around around 2014-2015

It seems like all the carriers assume that the general public are idiots and don't know how to read a schedule anymore. (maybe people did indeed forget how to read a schedule with all the apps/wayfinding tools out there)

@ Thanks to Rapidbus for the anwers

@ ns8401 thanks

Although I can't really comment on other places then my city(Ottawa)for curb side pick up, don't know  the conditions in other locations, where somewhat lucky here in Ottawa.

True or winters can get quite cold, but at least the curb side pick up are located are in good sites(except for Flix, although located right downtown{in market area}it's not the greatest place for a pick up, no shelter from weather & "Homeless" everywhere)

At least for Rider Express & Megabus there terminal is located at the ST Laurent BRT/LRT station which have bus shelters which are heated in the winnter & have great conextion to public transit.

At least for Orleans Express & Northland Ontario there terminal is located at VIA Rail Station which to is heated & A/C. & just a 5-10 min walk to a LRT Staion right next to it.

On 7/3/2022 at 4:30 AM, Rapidbus said:

It seems like all the carriers assume that the general public are idiots and don't know how to read a schedule anymore. (maybe people did indeed forget how to read a schedule with all the apps/wayfinding tools out there)

Perhaps true for intercity carrier's, but local and regional transit operators seem okay with publishing detailed timetables and route maps....?‍♂️

3 hours ago, traildriver said:

Perhaps true for intercity carrier's, but local and regional transit operators seem okay with publishing detailed timetables and route maps....?‍♂️

Yes indeed… 

The Russell’s guide has largely been replaced with this unpublicized website:

nabtguide.com

Its easy to use IF you know how the schedules work. 

Having looked around quite a bit at the other big players we seem to be the only carrier with one of these on the website for every timetable:

9CBED40D-C404-4306-9D1B-56056DC571D6.thumb.png.54bf8f03caec91c4eb0044b58b441b4c.png

This is the one that I run. Looking at Greyhound, Barons, Miller and Jefferson they will give you a list of cities they serve or in Jefferson’s case a system map. But not timetables like this. The other carriers don’t seem to change their schedules very often either (excluding Greyhound) and ours change often. I haven’t been able to fully account for why that is. 

Effective 7/1/22

NEW:

333 Raleigh, North Carolina to Wilmington, North Carolina

392 Wilmington, North Carolina to Raleigh, North Carolina

1520 Dallas, Texas to Richmond, Virginia via Asheville - Hickory Newton - Statesville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Raliegh North Carolina (New routing)

1541 Richmond, Virginia to Dallas, Texas Via reverse routing of 1520 (New Routing)

Other Changes:

1520 Dallas, Texas to Richmond, Virginia -- Knoxville, Tennessee to Richmond, Virginia has been removed (old routing)

1541 Richmond, Virginia to Dallas, Texas -- Richmond, Virginia to Knoxville, Tennessee has been removed (old routing)

Effective 7/2/22

Abolished:

8028 Mt. Laurel, New Jersey to New York, New York

8037 New York, New York to Mt. Laurel, New Jersey

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/42-22.pdf

Effective 7/1/22

NEW:

GDM 9368 Monterrey, Mexico to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico

GDM 9369 Nuevo Laredo, Mexico to Monterrey, Mexico

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/43-22.pdf

Somewhere along the way, GH has eliminated its second overnight SLC - Denver trip again. So its back to once a day.

Also apparently, all SLC operations have been moved to the Salt Lake Express Airport location.

Not sure if GH still services the current Amtrak location, because if they don't they just lost a connection with trains going to Reno and CA. A huge intermodal center at SLC with 8 bus bays, can now barely justify its existence with the once a day GH service to Denver. 

Denver a huge transfer point back in the day now only have one transcon a day going east/west with two trips going south one to Dallas and one to El Paso, and the once a day to SLC via Cheyenne. Supposedly a thruway connection to Amtrak when they eliminated the Pioneer, but somehow everybody forgot about that

Reno... used to justify a bus terminal, now might as well just give the whole operation in NoCal to Flix with the pittance amount of service they operate there. Its like what 2 trips a day, with a third Sac- San Jose trip sprinkled in?

Fares are through the roof, yet schedules are still being cut left and right. Sad sad sad all around... 

8 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

Somewhere along the way, GH has eliminated its second overnight SLC - Denver trip again. So its back to once a day.

Also apparently, all SLC operations have been moved to the Salt Lake Express Airport location.

Not sure if GH still services the current Amtrak location, because if they don't they just lost a connection with trains going to Reno and CA. A huge intermodal center at SLC with 8 bus bays, can now barely justify its existence with the once a day GH service to Denver. 

Denver a huge transfer point back in the day now only have one transcon a day going east/west with two trips going south one to Dallas and one to El Paso, and the once a day to SLC via Cheyenne. Supposedly a thruway connection to Amtrak when they eliminated the Pioneer, but somehow everybody forgot about that

Reno... used to justify a bus terminal, now might as well just give the whole operation in NoCal to Flix with the pittance amount of service they operate there. Its like what 2 trips a day, with a third Sac- San Jose trip sprinkled in?

Fares are through the roof, yet schedules are still being cut left and right. Sad sad sad all around... 

Go back a page and look at my June 11 post under the “Effective 6/22/22” section. They added an SLC-Denver pair and a Denver to NYC pair. There is a new bulletin I can’t open… Greyhound can’t even get that right half the time. I’ve had to email them and ask them to fix links on the bulletins page a few times now. You’d think they’d click it to make sure it works or something… they added (maybe deleted?) some service this week.

19 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Go back a page and look at my June 11 post under the “Effective 6/22/22” section. They added an SLC-Denver pair and a Denver to NYC pair. There is a new bulletin I can’t open… Greyhound can’t even get that right half the time. I’ve had to email them and ask them to fix links on the bulletins page a few times now. You’d think they’d click it to make sure it works or something… they added (maybe deleted?) some service this week.

Could be the new bulletin but

Both trips are gone now, from the newly released GH timetable. SLC - Denver is back down to one trip a day connecing with 1683/1684. 

The added trips 1690/1691 has been cut back to a New York - Kansas City instead of a NY - Denver bus

On a side note, 1691 is scheduled so closely with 1351, they pretty much overlap each other between NY - St Louis

1 hour ago, Rapidbus said:

Could be the new bulletin but

Both trips are gone now, from the newly released GH timetable. SLC - Denver is back down to one trip a day connecing with 1683/1684. 

The added trips 1690/1691 has been cut back to a New York - Kansas City instead of a NY - Denver bus

On a side note, 1691 is scheduled so closely with 1351, they pretty much overlap each other between NY - St Louis

Interesting… how many times are they going to add and subtract service between SLC and Denver? This makes the third time it’s changed since May… kind of gives off a flailing around vibe.

4 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

With this labor market I'm wondering if its a driver shortage issue that is causing these middle of summer service reductions

Not a bad guess if they ramped it up only a few weeks prior and it’s gone just like that.

6 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

With this labor market I'm wondering if its a driver shortage issue that is causing these middle of summer service reductions

Assuming it's a driver shortage, be Greyhound, Trailways or some other coach company will they hire you if you just recently got your coach driver license but as of yet to get an exprience will they hire you? If not then these companies can't really complain as there may be several individuals out that have  the required licese but don't have the exprience driving as perhapd no one's given them the chance to drive?

52 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Assuming it's a driver shortage, be Greyhound, Trailways or some other coach company will they hire you if you just recently got your coach driver license but as of yet to get an exprience will they hire you? If not then these companies can't really complain as there may be several individuals out that have  the required licese but don't have the exprience driving as perhapd no one's given them the chance to drive?

They will all train you to get the license. If you have one then you are in like Flynn.

7 hours ago, ns8401 said:

They will all train you to get the license. If you have one then you are in like Flynn.

Absolutely!

Not only that, there is such a shortage of driver's, that most companies will give you a hefty sign-on bonus as long as you stay a specified time.

After retiring in 2017 from Adirondack Trailways in NY, I had no trouble going back to work part time here in Florida.  My new employer, Academy is offering sign on bonuses for new full time driver's.   The county owned PalmTran even displays that they are hiring driver's on their destination signs...

On 7/11/2022 at 7:08 AM, traildriver said:

Absolutely!

Not only that, there is such a shortage of driver's, that most companies will give you a hefty sign-on bonus as long as you stay a specified time.

After retiring in 2017 from Adirondack Trailways in NY, I had no trouble going back to work part time here in Florida.  My new employer, Academy is offering sign on bonuses for new full time driver's.   The county owned PalmTran even displays that they are hiring driver's on their destination signs...

Ours is $3000 if they stay for a year... not a bad chunk of change.

Some of the answers we seek on those appearing and disappearing schedules:

Effective 7/6/22

Abolished:

1181 Atlanta, Georgia to Orlando, Florida

1184 Orlando, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia

1341 Denver, Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah

1344 Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver, Colorado

NEW:

3957 Atlanta, Georgia to Savannah, Georgia

3960 Savannah, Georgia to Atlanta, Georgia

Other Changes:

1102 Orlando, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia -- Will bypass Macon, Georgia

1690 Denver, Colorado to New York, New York -- Will now operate between Kansas City, Missouri and New York, New York

1691 New York, New York to Denver, Colorado -- Will now operate between New York, New York and Kansas City, Missouri

6747 San Francisco, California to Los Angeles, California -- Will operate via Hayward, California and Glendale Transit Center, California

6748 Los Angeles, California to San Francisco, California -- Will operate via Glendale Transit Center, California

6849 San Francisco, California to Los Angeles, California -- Will bypass Gilroy, California

Effective 7/8/22

Abolished:

3840 Lafayette, Louisiana to New Orleans, Louisiana

3845 New Orleans, Louisiana to Lafayette, Louisiana

NEW:

4403 Cleveland, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan

4404 Detroit, Michigan to Cleveland, Ohio

Other Changes:

1339 New York, New York to Los Angeles, California -- Will bypass Newark, New Jersey

4690 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania -- Will now operate from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4693 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- Will now operate from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

6002 Los Angeles, California to Las Vegas, Nevada -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6011 Las Vegas, Nevada to Los Angeles, California -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6024 Los Angeles, California to Las Vegas, Nevada -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6027 Las Vegas, Nevada to Los Angeles, California -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/44-22.pdf

Effective 7/22/22

Other Changes:

7230 St. Louis, Missouri to Kansas City, Missouri -- Will operate via California, Missouri

7231 Kansas City, Missouri to St. Louis, Missouri -- Will operate via California, Missouri

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/46-22.pdf

Effective 7/28/22

1318 Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver, Colorado -- Will operate via Salt Lake City (XX) (Amtrak), Utah

1343 Denver, Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah -- Will operate via Salt Lake City (XX) (Amtrak), Utah

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/47-22.pdf

Rumor had it that Salt Lake City was about to go Curbside... maybe that's what this new Amtrak thing is?

2 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Other Changes:

4690 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania -- Will now operate from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4693 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- Will now operate from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Ourbus got to them with the Slippery Rock - Pittsburgh - Breezewood - Harrisburgh - Philadelphia - NYC service launched not to long ago.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:08 AM, traildriver said:

Absolutely!

Adirondack Trailways has hired a handful of Canadian Drivers for the Toronto - Buffalo portion of the Toronto - NYC service. Most of the Drivers are former Greyhound Canada Drivers. Adirondack Trailways parks and cleans the buses at Luxury Coach in Concord, ON in York Region, just north of Toronto. The Canadian Drivers report out of Luxury Coach,

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Rumor had it that Salt Lake City was about to go Curbside... maybe that's what this new Amtrak thing is?

SLC has already gone curbside. GH closed its downtown terminal, and moved all its operation together with Salt Lake Express at the Salt Lake City airport (curbside), therefore temporarily requiring a very tedious transfer to Salt lake Express bus back to Downtown for the Amtrak interline across Northern Nevada 

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Other Changes:

1339 New York, New York to Los Angeles, California -- Will bypass Newark, New Jersey

6002 Los Angeles, California to Las Vegas, Nevada -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6011 Las Vegas, Nevada to Los Angeles, California -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6024 Los Angeles, California to Las Vegas, Nevada -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

6027 Las Vegas, Nevada to Los Angeles, California -- Will operate via Las Vegas Transit Center, Nevada

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/44-22.pdf

They mention Las Vegas Transit Center, yet their website mentions their new location at

3528 S Maryland Pkwy, Ste 106, NV 89169

Which is Boulevard Mall in Las Vegas... I'm missing the transit center piece. Maybe they mean these trips will continue to serve South Strip? 

At least this location will continue to sell tickets on site, which is quite a departure from the recent e ticketing conversion of major cities

4 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Ourbus got to them with the Slippery Rock - Pittsburgh - Breezewood - Harrisburgh - Philadelphia - NYC service launched not to long ago.

If I am not mistakened the Harrisburg - Pittsburgh via latrobe PA are all 5311(f) runs. So GH is essentially running these trips between Harrisburg- Pittsburgh for free, and using the equipment/maybe crew to run it through to Philadelphia (which may actually increase ridership)

Interesting Ourbus is stopping at breezewood, PA though... I always wanted to go there to see how that "town" is like

4 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Adirondack Trailways has hired a handful of Canadian Drivers for the Toronto - Buffalo portion of the Toronto - NYC service. Most of the Drivers are former Greyhound Canada Drivers. Adirondack Trailways parks and cleans the buses at Luxury Coach in Concord, ON in York Region, just north of Toronto. The Canadian Drivers report out of Luxury Coach,

Very interesting!

It is most likely Adirondack's 'sister company', New York Trailways, that is running that service, since they are based in Buffalo and Rochester...or perhaps they created a new Canadian subsidiary for that?

20 minutes ago, Rapidbus said:

If I am not mistakened the Harrisburg - Pittsburgh via latrobe PA are all 5311(f) runs. So GH is essentially running these trips between Harrisburg- Pittsburgh for free, and using the equipment/maybe crew to run it through to Philadelphia (which may actually increase ridership)

Interesting Ourbus is stopping at breezewood, PA though... I always wanted to go there to see how that "town" is like

The self-described, "Town of Motels", at the junction of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Interstate 70, used to be served by this extensive facility...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103688802@N02/15013431874/in/album-72157647622207805/lightbox/

It featured a ticket office, around 20 bays, and even a small service and repair garage.  It was a major rest stop in Eastern Greyhound Lines days...