Jump to content

Greyhound Run/Schedule Changes


roeco
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2022 at 11:50 PM, ns8401 said:

Effective 11/1/22

NEW:

4177 Albany, New York to Syracuse, New York
4188 Syracuse, New York to Albany, New York

 

Other Changes:

4175 Boston, Massachusetts to Syracuse, New York -- Will now operate from Boston, Massachusetts to Albany, New York

4194 Syracuse, New York to Boston, Massachusetts -- Will now operate from Albany, New York to Boston, Massachusetts

http://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/76-22.pdf

Not sure what is the point of having separate schedules. Ourbus with Coach Express operates between Buffalo and Boston with stops at Syracuse, Utica, Albany, Lee and Worcester with connections to University of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, NY, Niagara Falls, ON, Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto and Scarborough in Canada. Unless Greyhound has beef with Peter Pan since they operate between Albany and Boston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

No it doesn't... I forgot to include that they have established a new stop in Woodburn, Oregon. It's to the northeast of Salem. 

Well that seems to be their new business model...to abandon costly downtown terminals in favor of suburban stops conveniently located at an interstate highway exit.  Of course, that's only convenient for those on that side of a particular town, and sometimes means no local transit connections other than a taxi or uber type service.

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Interestingly we don't. For that matter I can only think of two people from another coach company out of 51 drivers. I'm not exactly sure why. I did have a Greyhound driver ask me if we were hiring a couple days ago. I know a former Greyhound driver interviewed recently but ultimately didn't get it or turned it down. Most of our people either drove truck, school bus or for the vast majority... they don't have a CDL and we train them to get one. I asked once why we don't tend to get very many folks from other coach companies... something about not wanting to go through the trouble of breaking bad habits. The trouble is that the new folks that aren't used to the hours have a hard time adjusting and so retention is an issue. We had 81 before the pandemic and 49 when everybody was called back from layoff and had to return or leave. We have hired 33 drivers.. sounds good right? We have lost 31 drivers including several experienced ones plus the new folks that burn out or don't make it. 18 months later we have... 51 drivers. Not exactly a great score.

Our company has several "return from retirement" driver's, some even older than myself.  Of course, being in South Florida, there is an abundance of those.  We share a similar experience with our younger hires.  Kind of a 'revolving door'....they come, stay awhile, and leave. One thing Academy does not do, is offer any real incentives for full time driver's to stick around...being a non-union operation, they choose to not assign work by seniority.  We do, like many other companies, offer sign-on bonuses and some driver's upon fulfilling their commitment, will then leave for another job.  We also get many former school bus driver's.  Some of our part-timer's still drive them full time, and drive for us weekends and summer's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Not sure what is the point of having separate schedules. Ourbus with Coach Express operates between Buffalo and Boston with stops at Syracuse, Utica, Albany, Lee and Worcester with connections to University of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, NY, Niagara Falls, ON, Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto and Scarborough in Canada. Unless Greyhound has beef with Peter Pan since they operate between Albany and Boston.

I too, can't understand why they are chopping thru trips into shorter segments.  Back in the old days, they ran trips coast to coast, and border to border, They must have some strategy for that, but I cannot figure it out.  I don't think they would do it to deliberately drive away business...

 

As for them ending their revenue sharing and schedule pooling with Peter Pan several years ago...I can't see where that would make any sense for them not running thru, either.  Greyhound ran Boston-Worcester-Springfield-Pittsfield-Albany route long before Peter Pan did.  Peter Pan started out between Springfield, Worcester, and Boston, and later acquired Bonanza, who had a Providence-Springfield-Allbany route inherited from Interstate Busses Company.   They used those 'rights' to then run thru service Boston to Albany, and for a while, after joining the Trailways association, pooled with Adirondack and Empire Trailways, and Gray Coach Lines to run thru Boston to Toronto service during a Greyhound strike, and continued later in competition with Greyhound, and its new pool partner, Trentway-Wager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Effective 11/22/22

Other Changes:

1011 -- Brunswick, Georgia has been discontinued

1014 -- Brunswick, Georgia has been discontinued

3791 -- Melbourne, Florida has been discontinued

3798 -- Melbourne, Florida has been discontinued

 

Effective 11/24/22

** NEW TABLE 477 Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas **

NEW:

FLX9314 Austin, Texas to Houston, Texas

FLX9315 Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas

FLX9316 Austin, Texas to Houston, Texas

FLX9317 Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas

FLX9318 Austin, Texas to Houston, Texas

FLX9319 Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas

** FLIX BUS SCHEDULES THAT INTERLINE TO GREYHOUND**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2022 at 7:00 AM, traildriver said:

I too, can't understand why they are chopping thru trips into shorter segments.  Back in the old days, they ran trips coast to coast, and border to border, They must have some strategy for that, but I cannot figure it out.  I don't think they would do it to deliberately drive away business...

 

As for them ending their revenue sharing and schedule pooling with Peter Pan several years ago...I can't see where that would make any sense for them not running thru, either.  Greyhound ran Boston-Worcester-Springfield-Pittsfield-Albany route long before Peter Pan did.  Peter Pan started out between Springfield, Worcester, and Boston, and later acquired Bonanza, who had a Providence-Springfield-Allbany route inherited from Interstate Busses Company.   They used those 'rights' to then run thru service Boston to Albany, and for a while, after joining the Trailways association, pooled with Adirondack and Empire Trailways, and Gray Coach Lines to run thru Boston to Toronto service during a Greyhound strike, and continued later in competition with Greyhound, and its new pool partner, Trentway-Wager.

Now Ourbus is stepping up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, traildriver said:

I am not familiar with this outfit.   Are they an actual company, or are they like Flix -- a booking site?

They are like FLIX if I understand it right. They contract with others to run their routes for them. I don’t believe they own any equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2022 at 6:31 AM, traildriver said:

Well that seems to be their new business model...to abandon costly downtown terminals in favor of suburban stops conveniently located at an interstate highway exit.  Of course, that's only convenient for those on that side of a particular town, and sometimes means no local transit connections other than a taxi or uber type service.

Can't say its a recent thing. The last new terminal GH the company built was probably pre-strike in 1990. All the actions taken by the comapny after that has been moving to gas stations and park and rides. 

What is new however if the increasing number of e-ticketing only locations including mid-sized locations such as Toledo, OH and Springfield, MA

2 hours ago, ns8401 said:

They are like FLIX if I understand it right. They contract with others to run their routes for them. I don’t believe they own any equipment.

Yep exact same business model. Partner contract model. Ourbus is the ticket seller, and contractor operates the buses. They operate curbside as well. (They are even worse at some aspect as well, they have like 20 different NYC curbside location, and each route leaves at different locations)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, traildriver said:

FLIX, Our Bus...if this is the "new normal" for intercity bus lines...well...lets just say I am glad I retired from that side of the business, when I did...

I honestly don’t think it’s the new normal at least in the middle of the country. All of the smaller companies can cover 2/3rds or more of the country and resist…. Well I’m optimistic that they can. I’m less optimistic that FLIX can fix Greyhound and make it work. But the other companies generally run all their runs everyday and usually within reason time wise. Greyhound cannot say the same and FLIX and co. with their curbside stuff simply confuses people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, traildriver said:

I am not familiar with this outfit.   Are they an actual company, or are they like Flix -- a booking site?

Like Flixbus but recently Ourbus has changed more to a reseller than a 'de facto' operator with wrapped buses that appear to be their own.

Megabus has switched to the same concept as Ourbus now with the 2 recent reseller partnerships with Fullington Trailways and Trailways of NY.

14 hours ago, traildriver said:

FLIX, Our Bus...if this is the "new normal" for intercity bus lines...well...lets just say I am glad I retired from that side of the business, when I did...

Somewhat the 'new normal' but more like an alternative to reduce cost for a Carrier to employ a marketing team and Customer Service team. Both Megabus and Ourbus have their own marketing team and their own Customer Service team. Can't speak for Megabus but Ourbus takes a 20% cut for each ticket sold which leaves the Carrier to focus on the Drivers and Maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Like Flixbus but recently Ourbus has changed more to a reseller than a 'de facto' operator with wrapped buses that appear to be their own.

Megabus has switched to the same concept as Ourbus now with the 2 recent reseller partnerships with Fullington Trailways and Trailways of NY.

Somewhat the 'new normal' but more like an alternative to reduce cost for a Carrier to employ a marketing team and Customer Service team. Both Megabus and Ourbus have their own marketing team and their own Customer Service team. Can't speak for Megabus but Ourbus takes a 20% cut for each ticket sold which leaves the Carrier to focus on the Drivers and Maintenance.

If you lose 20% and then have drivers and maintenance to focus on it’s a wash. The model seems to attract lower-end companies that probably wouldn’t make it on their own. That New York Trailways partnered with them instead of remaining independent is somewhat surprising. We can expect to see a lot more realignments starting in January. The changeover to the FLIX system and elimination of TRIPS is slated for January 23rd or so. Some of the companies that partner with Greyhound may balk at the terms laid out by FLIX to continue being partners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

If you lose 20% and then have drivers and maintenance to focus on it’s a wash. The model seems to attract lower-end companies that probably wouldn’t make it on their own. That New York Trailways partnered with them instead of remaining independent is somewhat surprising. We can expect to see a lot more realignments starting in January. The changeover to the FLIX system and elimination of TRIPS is slated for January 23rd or so. Some of the companies that partner with Greyhound may balk at the terms laid out by FLIX to continue being partners.

It seems like there are difference between partners and interlines

The contractor partners will probably get 20% taken out, interlines probably get to keep all the revenue minus the service fee. Of course I'm not sure what the exact arrangement each company has.

For megabus it seem like NYT is only selling 5 seats. Megabus probably will only keep the service charge associated with that trip

 

In other news, Flix just recruited Lucky Star bus in NYC. They were one of the first Chinatown bus lines

https://www.luckystarbus.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rapidbus said:

It seems like there are difference between partners and interlines

The contractor partners will probably get 20% taken out, interlines probably get to keep all the revenue minus the service fee. Of course I'm not sure what the exact arrangement each company has.

For megabus it seem like NYT is only selling 5 seats. Megabus probably will only keep the service charge associated with that trip

 

In other news, Flix just recruited Lucky Star bus in NYC. They were one of the first Chinatown bus lines

https://www.luckystarbus.com/

It was described to me that we get paid by the “lift” for a ticket where Greyhound or another carrier has the money. Instead of just having each company keep its piece of the ticket money which could easily be automatically split and sent to them   (each individual ticket has a value as a portion of the trip) they all have to submit tickets to each other every month for reimbursement. No ticket received? You keep the money then. Pure profit. Note I didn’t say it was profitable as a company… their last fiscal year was a $1 million profit. 

 

Who cares if someone uses it or falls into a swimming pool of angry piranhas? You would think everybody would get the portion they are owed and actual ticket collection would be a matter of statistics about ridership. But Greyhound makes a lot of money off unsubmitted and unused tickets I suspect. This is yet another way the bus industry got to about 1950 and simply stopped developing or keeping up with the times. I once heard someone describe the intercity industry as a dinosaur… I’m starting to think he’s not wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...