Portland TriMet

Nabinut

Whoa-ho-hooooo, Nellie! Get a load of this. . .

http://rantingsofatrimetbusdriver.blogspot.com/2014/10/dont-cannibilize-buses.html

By the looks of the story depicted in the link above, TriMet is actually starting to get rid of their oldest low-floor buses. These are 1997 New Flyer D40LFs (2001-2022). These made up TriMet's second and last fleet of buses to use the Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine (the first being their 1994 Flxible Metro units 1844-1853, which they got rid of during their 2009 crisis).

For those of you who want to take a ride on these Series 50-powered low-floors, better mosey on down here quick!

This story was published only 4 days ago.

~Ben

Wonder what they are replacing these buses with?

I am reading the blog that you link it makes TriMet look like fail as a transit system.

I did do a day-trip to Portland on September 20th, just to take some pictures in the downtown core since I didn't have anything better to do on that Sunday... only cost $25 on BoltBus. As such I believe I spotted several 20xx D40LFs drive by... I did get a rather poor photo of 2003 from the front, but a better photo of the rear.

Wonder what they are replacing these buses with?

I am reading the blog that you link it makes TriMet look lie fail as a transit system.

That blog is run by Al Margulies, obviously a former driver. He saw what he saw.

TriMet is still completing this fiscal year's bus procurement. They are prepping the 3300s to replace some of these, along with the 1400 series Phantoms. The 3400s, TriMet's first 30-foot long buses since 1992, will replace the 1600s and 1900s during 2015.

The 1992 Flxible Metros (the 1700 series) are no longer in service as of this July. A few of those were still around at the Merlo garage, as evidenced by some recent pictures taken by Erik Halstead, but they are not active as they are pending being scrapped.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

That does make sense. Being that they are 1997, they meet the 12 year replacement requirement. Still seems strange to see later '90s equipment being retired already. King County Metro, Sound Transit, Community Transit and Pierce Transit have been retiring 1997-2001 coaches for a while. Community Transit retired all their 97 D30LFs and 98 D40LFs. They don't last as long as they used to

I am so very happy that I was able to make it down there to experience the 1700s

That does make sense. Being that they are 1997, they meet the 12 year replacement requirement. Still seems strange to see later '90s equipment being retired already. King County Metro, Sound Transit, Community Transit and Pierce Transit have been retiring 1997-2001 coaches for a while. Community Transit retired all their 97 D30LFs and 98 D40LFs. They don't last as long as they used to

I am so very happy that I was able to make it down there to experience the 1700s

Considering that, in theory, buses built prior to 2002 should be scheduled for retirement (unless a transit system actually does regular overhauls), I can't see how buses from the 1990s being retired is strange...

Considering that, in theory, buses built prior to 2002 should be scheduled for retirement (unless a transit system actually does regular overhauls), I can't see how buses from the 1990s being retired is strange...

I believe Puget Sound Rider was referring to the late-90's stuff being retired as kinda strange... since up until recently the expected lifespan of a bus was 20 years, and much further back the lifespan was 30-40 years. Early-90's vehicles being retired is understandable, since they're all now 20-years of age or more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

TriMet unveils newly designed Siemens rail vehicle

The S70 light rail vehicle was designed and manufactured at Siemens' Sacramento, Calif. plant and includes new features that increase the comfort and safety for the public, make the operation of the vehicles easier and more efficient, and improve the maintenance process.

The Type 5 MAX trains maybe a little longer because they have and I heard a person in a video that they have C-car. Will the Type 5 trains be able to operate with two car trains on any other MAX line except the Orange line?

They are actually shorter than the type 4s, i believe the C car is the middle section which Type 2,3 and 4 have. They will be on all lines but must be in pairs like type 4s as there is only 1 cab in each train.

They are actually shorter than the type 4s, i believe the C car is the middle section which Type 2,3 and 4 have. They will be on all lines but must be in pairs like type 4s as there is only 1 cab in each train.

According to this (http://trimet.org/pdfs/max/Type5_LRVs_October2014.pdf) a Type 5 is same length of a Type 4. But the Type 5 has bigger passenger capacity compared to a Type 4. Do you think Type 4 and Type 5 will ever be paired together and in service?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It seems that there are no more 1600s on line 34-River Road (they do still show up on lines 51 and 152), which is understandable given their age. All the times I've observed any buses on this route, according to TriMet's interactive map, they are all 40 foot units (2100s being dominant as of late). I suppose this is the interim until the 3400s arrive sometime later this year.

This route, BTW, is also planned to be merged with line 28-Linwood in downtown Milwaukie this fall as part of TriMet's plans for the MAX Orange line.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

That part I find odd is that there are still '90 and '91 coaches in service. Probably won't be for too much longer.

The minimum life for a heavy duty transit coach is 12 years per FTA guidelines. Prior to that FTA still has a lien on the property, and if the property is sold prior to that the selling agency has to refund the FTA the un-depreciated value. FTA guidelines say the maximum you can keep a heavy duty coach in revenue service is 25 years, although I am not sure how they would enforce that, and to what extent. With a lot of agencies suffering from shrinking budgets, and desire to keep service on the street (instead of replacing vehicles that hit the minimum lifespan) its not as surprising to see vehicle lifespans get drawn out towards the maximum end of their service life. Grays Harbor Transit just retired some 1991 Gillig's with 6V92s even, Tri-Met was the leader for many years with their museum out in daily service. King County Metro is heading that direction, coaches built in 1996-1998 may be getting a second lease on life as service cuts have been avoided for the time being, and replacements and expansion vehicles have not been ordered as far as I know. Pierce Transit has some very high mileage 1999 Gillig's kicking around in service in a reserve fleet (with Sound Transit having some on lease even).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Say hello to the 3400s if you're riding on lines 39, 51 or 152!

http://news.trimet.org/2015/03/new-30-foot-trimet-buses-are-now-in-service-in-areas-with-tighter-turns-and-terrain/

You know what that means? Please hurry on down here to the City of Roses if you really want to ride a 1600 series Gillig Phantom for the last time!

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Glad I visited when I did. That was a fun trip.

Are the 3400s going to replace the 1900s too?

14541865543_a806c61e4e_m.jpg 14321555197_8e1f3c46f7_m.jpg 14504616461_434c384ce5_m.jpg 14506663394_e87d087556_m.jpg 14335526830_5bbd0e7704_m.jpg

Puget Sound Rider,

Like Jared said, yes. All three of these 1990-92 fleets are old.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Gotta love the interior of a high-floor bus. There is something so right about it.

Even better when the colors match up. I like what TM did with the fabric inserts. It all fits well together. Most buses that I've seen from the early '90s seem to focus either on blue or tan interiors. Nothing wrong with a little more color variety.

The original inserts were much more plain (these were the originals, right?)

14335099800_97ce931268_m.jpg

The 22 3400's will replace the entire 30 foot fleet. This includes both the 1600's and 1900's remaining in service. There is an additional 18 unit order for 30 foot buses that should arrive next year.

Jared,

Any idea when these might appear on line 34-River Road?

~Ben

Jared,

Any idea when these might appear on line 34-River Road?

~Ben

Can't say I've been on that route yet...are there any clearance issues that bar them from using a low floor with extremely low clearance? As you can tell from the pictures the new buses use a pretty low profile tire...I want to say that the clearance is minimally less but still less than the other Gilligs but don't quote me on it. That being said, with the necessity of the 30-footers on some key routes I am guessing that they may appear as soon as the fleet is fully deployed, which may take a month or two.

I saw a 2700 running on it today, which seem like the series of buses they are using to replace a lot of runs that previously used 2100's. Saw a few replacing runs on the 96 as well - it's only a matter of months before they are off the road (the now fading 2000's were only a 24 bus fleet...the remaining 3300's should all but take care of that fleet). Merlo had a fleeting moment of having the newest fleet out of the three garages...looks like Center will hold that distinction for a while unless TriMet decides to go in the CNG direction.

http://news.trimet.org/2015/03/trimet-extends-line-8-to-ne-dekum-ave-and-mlk-jr-blvd-adding-three-new-stops/

Looks like the line 8 layover issues are solved for the moment. . . its new layover is at a spot close to where buses on line 6 had laid over back in the mid to late 1980s.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin