STM Centre de transport Stinson

kellergraham

The STM held a Pre-Consultation today at Saint-Laurent Borough hall...

Here are the highlights:

- In order to complete the mandate of the PQTC* two new Centre de transports need to be opened

- This pre-consultation dealt with the first one (named CT Stinson^)

- Had to be within the limits of Decarie, Cote-Vertu, Sauve and Jean-Talon

- Equidistant from other CTs

- Easy access to arterial roads

- The second one should open in 2016/2017 - It's location hasn't yet been determined

- Buses will deadhead on Stinson, Cote-de-Liesse and Marcel Laurin (or at times Ste-Croix) to access Cote-Vertu metro station

- No deadhead traffic on Hodge, and very little deadhead traffic on Ste-Croix during peak hours

Features

- Capacity will be 300 buses = 200 40ft buses and 100 articluated buses

- 800,000 square feet

- 800 employees of which 650 will be bus drivers

- All bus parking will be inside - no buses will be stored outside

- LEED Accreditation

- The who project is "green" which takes into account tougher laws for greenhouse emissions in 2010 (Quebec's laws are now as tough as California's)

- Will be built from materials gathered during the deconstruction (and not demolition) of three existing buildings.

- Less than 20% of the space will be used for parking

- CT Stinson is scheduled to open in 2012

Neighborhood Development

- A pedestrian/bicycle path will link both Montpellier streets via a level crossing of the CN line

- They will also build a small publicly accessible park

The following bus routes would run out of this garage:

17 Decarie

72 Alfred-Nobel

76 MacArthur (sic)

100 Crémazie

117 O'Brien

121 Sauvé/Cote-Vertu

124 Victoria

128 Ville-Saint-Laurent

171 Henri-Bourassa

214 Des Sources

460 Métropolitaine

They also mentioned the capacities of today's CTs

320 Legendre

291 Lasalle

262 Anjou

255 Saint-Laurent

178 Saint- Denis

152 Frontenac

140 Mont-Royal - After the second CT is built, they're talk of shutting down Mont-Royal

The didn't allow us to have the PowerPoint Presentation. I was able to snap this photo with my iPhone as I left:

CT_Stinson.JPG

Alex

* PQTC - Politique Quebecoise de transport Collectif Government of Quebec's policy to increase ridership by 8% by increasing service 16% by 2012

^ As with all projected projects, official names may change over the course of the project

Edited by SMS
Had to change the opening date which was originally 2012... Doah! -SMS

Montpellier and Stinson, SW of CN East Junction (the meeting of CN St Laurent sub and CN Deux Montagnes sub)

My comments to follow later... this will be our first expansion garage in many years (our answer to Mount Dennis, if you wish the comparison).

Another garage build. Where abouts is the location?

Sorry, I forgot to add that... I've modified the original post and added a link to a Google Map.

Do they have any rounding costs?

Unless I didn't catch it, they didn't say anything about price. Although today's announcement of a 40 million dollar deficit won't help the project

Alex

I had hoped to learn a lot from this meeting, but only the vague minimum details were mentioned. The consultants didn't appear to be able to answer the simplest questions (such as the height of the actual building) and seemed uncomfortable and out of place. Everybody except the borough mayor seemed like they did not want to be there. Questions were answered with some degree of contempt, and my presence was even questioned as I am not a resident of Saint-Laurent (even though my journey forces me to travel through this borough every working day).

The real gong show aspect of it all was the fact that the local community was up in arms about this project. Never mind the fact that the STM has decided to go through with the project (once they get an idea in their heads...). Picture that kellergraham and I are the youngest people in the audience. You have all these old codgers whining and complaining about traffic in spite of the fact that the deadheads will not use residential roads. They are complaining about the noise of buses (I guess they remember the sounds of Macks and Old Looks and New Looks and older garbage compared to the relatively quiet new LFS buses). They worry about noise pollution and even pedestrian traffic on Boul. Montpellier between CT Stinson and Boul. Cote-Vertu which -horror! scandal!- will quintuple. This is my first real experience seeing urban NIMBYism and I have to say that I'm gorram disgusted. All these old farts fucked up our planet driving guzzlers in the 60s and 70s. It is our turn to shine, young people, and we want transit, we need transit, and these old basterds are gonna deny us our buses? I don't think so pally! By the time the garage is built, half of these guys will be dead! At least I hope so! They're worried about large scale bus exits and entrances too depending on the time of day. Christ, by the time of the big bus entrance for the end of the evening around 11 pm - 1 am, they'll be drooling in their sleep/wetting their beds!

I have no stomach for NIMBYism when they don't have a foot to stand on. And whereas I do not personally care for the STM PRopaganda project with their chevrons and new font, nothing that they're doing is so bad to justify such community resentment. I don't think that the STM is being a bad neighbour here.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

We recently found out the confirmed routes that will be operating out of the new Stinson garage which are the following:

80 Du Parc (Articulated bus service)

103 Monkland

105 Sherbrooke

124 Victoria

128 Ville St Laurent

162 Westminster

165 Cote des Neiges (Articulated bus service)

175 Griffin/St Francois

213 Parc Industriel Saint Laurent

371 Decarie (Night bus)

435 Express Du Parc/Cote des Neiges (Articulated bus service)

470 Express Pierrefond (Articulated bus service)

I had hoped to learn a lot from this meeting, but only the vague minimum details were mentioned. The consultants didn't appear to be able to answer the simplest questions (such as the height of the actual building) and seemed uncomfortable and out of place. Everybody except the borough mayor seemed like they did not want to be there. Questions were answered with some degree of contempt, and my presence was even questioned as I am not a resident of Saint-Laurent (even though my journey forces me to travel through this borough every working day).

The real gong show aspect of it all was the fact that the local community was up in arms about this project. Never mind the fact that the STM has decided to go through with the project (once they get an idea in their heads...). Picture that kellergraham and I are the youngest people in the audience. You have all these old codgers whining and complaining about traffic in spite of the fact that the deadheads will not use residential roads. They are complaining about the noise of buses (I guess they remember the sounds of Macks and Old Looks and New Looks and older garbage compared to the relatively quiet new LFS buses). They worry about noise pollution and even pedestrian traffic on Boul. Montpellier between CT Stinson and Boul. Cote-Vertu which -horror! scandal!- will quintuple. This is my first real experience seeing urban NIMBYism and I have to say that I'm gorram disgusted. All these old farts fucked up our planet driving guzzlers in the 60s and 70s. It is our turn to shine, young people, and we want transit, we need transit, and these old basterds are gonna deny us our buses? I don't think so pally! By the time the garage is built, half of these guys will be dead! At least I hope so! They're worried about large scale bus exits and entrances too depending on the time of day. Christ, by the time of the big bus entrance for the end of the evening around 11 pm - 1 am, they'll be drooling in their sleep/wetting their beds!

I have no stomach for NIMBYism when they don't have a foot to stand on. And whereas I do not personally care for the STM PRopaganda project with their chevrons and new font, nothing that they're doing is so bad to justify such community resentment. I don't think that the STM is being a bad neighbour here.

Thank you! We want transit, we need transit, and we need to fight for it. Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.

We recently found out the confirmed routes that will be operating out of the new Stinson garage which are the following:

103 Monkland

105 Sherbrooke

124 Victoria

128 Ville St Laurent

162 Westminster

175 Griffin/St Francois

371 Decarie (Night bus)

Thanks for that info

It was all rumours until now, nice to see some realistic info

103 Monkland

105 Sherbrooke

124 Victoria

128 Ville St Laurent

162 Westminster

175 Griffin/St Francois

371 Decarie (Night bus)

I feel the 103 and 162 should not be theirs. Instead, why not take the 16 and 100? If they take the 124 and 128 which are routes that are closeby running near the place, they can take these 2 as well imo.

So much for them running the 409 née 214 out of Stinson. See kellergraham's first post in this thread to see how they have optimised the routes for the most efficiency. The 16 was never planned to operate out of Stinson. The 100 seems to run efficiently out of Legendre, but there can always be extras from Stinson. I am happy to see the 103 and 162 run out of the new division, what an inconvenient and long cushion for LaSalle drivers to get to Villa-Maria! This has a precedent when most NDG routes were operated out of Garage Namur until 1995. BTW our source is an official document posted at Legendre, which we saw at our official visit during the BHA convention.

• 6 months later...