Edmonton LRT Roster

A. Wong

• Board Admin

microbus - do you know if it is the lead car's trouncer that controls the announcements in all the cars?

I noticed different trains have had different forms of announcing for a long time now. The two that seem to be common are:

1. two-tone chime on the outside, then switch to the inside speaker for the rest

2. both two-tone chimes and "Next Stop" on the outside, and then switch to the inside speaker for the station name.

The proper way (2 two-tone chimes on the outside, and other announcements on the inside) seems to be less common. <_<

microbus - do you know if it is the lead car's trouncer that controls the announcements in all the cars?

I noticed different trains have had different forms of announcing for a long time now. The two that seem to be common are:

1. two-tone chime on the outside, then switch to the inside speaker for the rest

2. both two-tone chimes and "Next Stop" on the outside, and then switch to the inside speaker for the station name.

The proper way (2 two-tone chimes on the outside, and other announcements on the inside) seems to be less common. <_<

I think they still have *bug* issues with the trouncer B)

I think it's the lead car, as that's the only one being used, but it would have

to remotely tell the other ones, I would think... I'll try to find out more

when I'm over at DLM... which will be within a couple of months....

They're supposed to go ding-dong ding-dong outside, then 'next stop...' on

the inside... but the bugs keep crawling up inside the things and send

announcements to random speakers <_<

I think it's the lead car, as that's the only one being used, but it would have

to remotely tell the other ones, I would think...

I don't think it does anything with the other Trouncers in the consist- I just plays the announcment over the speaker system, as if a operator was making PA announcement.

If it did communicate with other Trouncers so that those made the annoucements themselves, I think there could be a few problems.

First, there are two Trouncers in each car. Which would would the lead one be communicating with? Or would both try to run the announcements for one car?

Secondly, there would need to be a means to communicate with the other Trouncers. Communication between cars is usually done through the couplers. I'm sure it would be more work than is needed to wire the Trouncers into the couplers.

• Board Admin

Well we live in a wireless world today, so communication probably wouldn't be too big of an issue. But when another train passes by just as the announcements are triggered, then the passing train would announce the wrong station or something. <_<

Anyway, I think the Health Sciences sign on the southbound track at Clareview is busted - it stays lit, and has been that way for a few days now. Though I didn't notice if it was like that in the afternoon.

MYN stands for McDonald Yard North...

MYS of course means McDonald Yard South.

In both cases, it's where the yard tracks join the main tracks,

and they're under Control's control from those points on.

Yard tracks aren't controlled by Control at all, all switches

are manual, and thrown by the motorman of the train.

• Board Admin

Any reason why some trains are going dead slow northbound from about where the Belvedere MES yard is to 129 Avenue?

I was surprised my train at about 8:45PM was going that slow. I think at least two other trains I've ridden north did the same thing...

Any reason why some trains are going dead slow northbound from about where the Belvedere MES yard is to 129 Avenue?

I was surprised my train at about 8:45PM was going that slow. I think at least two other trains I've ridden north did the same thing...

I was wondering myself... I've noticed several trains going about 10 km/h NB through that switch

just south of 129 ave... I would guess either the frog or the switch points.. but that's only a guess.

With sort of an exception of a spring switch (I believe that's what it is) near MYN... trailing movments (ie heading to the mainline in this case I believe) can go through that switch from either the straight through route, or diverging route, without having to throw the switch. I believe it's the swith from track 1 to the tracks that lead into storage portion (tracks 2, 3, 4 etc) of DLM?

With sort of an exception of a spring switch (I believe that's what it is) near MYN... trailing movments (ie heading to the mainline in this case I believe) can go through that switch from either the straight through route, or diverging route, without having to throw the switch. I believe it's the swith from track 1 to the tracks that lead into storage portion (tracks 2, 3, 4 etc) of DLM?

Yes, there's one spring switch, but it is still operated by the motorman and not by Control....

all of the yard switches are trailable. That means that no matter what position the switch

is in, if you're trailing through it, you just proceed. The switch will switch itself to let you

through.

Of course, most of them you can then reverse through, with the exception of the spring

switch. You have to block that switch to reverse through it.

So why are the trains going slow in the north end? Is there a slow order/track speed restriction there? What's up with that ?

MYN stands for McDonald Yard North...

MYS of course means McDonald Yard South.

In both cases, it's where the yard tracks join the main tracks,

and they're under Control's control from those points on.

Yeah, only they are calling it BMYN now. B = Block :huh:

• Board Admin

I think it might have been a power issue (ie. use minimal power there). This morning they said something about power and how a train didn't clear 524 (ie. switches north of Belvedere). No problems going through though on my afternoon trip back home.

In other news, I saw 1004 with its HID in the tunnels, and I'm pretty sure 1003 had its on as well when we passed in the 95 Street tunnel. Maybe they are getting used to it now I guess.

Speaking of HIDs, the only cars left to receive them are 1003, 1005, 1013, 1016, 1030, 1035, and 1037.

I saw a green blinking LED northbound at the end of 66 Street tunnel. My guess is that it is like those switch indicators at University, but I didn't get a good look at it.

In other news, I saw 1004 with its HID in the tunnels, and I'm pretty sure 1003 had its on as well when we passed in the 95 Street tunnel. Maybe they are getting used to it now I guess.

Speaking of HIDs, the only cars left to receive them are 1003, 1005, 1013, 1016, 1030, 1035, and 1037.

Errr... you said that 1003 had it's HID on, yet, you note its one of the cars without it. :)

The reason why there are few cars without the HID's... I spotted 1018, 1032 and 1033 today with HID's.

I saw a green blinking LED northbound at the end of 66 Street tunnel. My guess is that it is like those switch indicators at University, but I didn't get a good look at it.

There was a crew out. Sometimes they'll place a beacon as a warning that they are out on the line.