SCT & ETS Fare Comparison

Prevost1003

First SCT

Commuter

Monthly pass $85

Youth student monthly pass (valid elementary, jr. or sr. high school Student ID required) $70

Post secondary student monthly pass (excluding U-Pass holders, valid student ID required) $75

Seniors monthly pass $22.50

Seniors annual pass $270

Cash fare – one way $5

Seniors cash fare – one way $4

Commuter ticket booklet – package of 12 $48

Local

Monthly pass $50

Cash – one way $3

Local ticket booklet – package of 20 $40

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now ETS

• Adult Monthly Pass increases to $74.25.
  • DATS Monthly Pass increases to $74.25.
  • Post Secondary Monthly Pass increases to $67.50.
  • Senior Citizen Annual Pass increases to $111.25.
  • Low Income Senior Annual Pass increases to $48.00.
  • Senior Citizen Monthly Pass increases to $12.00.

Youth and Senior cash fares will increase from $2.25 to $2.50. Adult cash fares will remain the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously... I can't afford a student pass anymore. :(

Do they not offer a reduced pass? $50 isn't exactly terrible, or do you get the commuter pass?

Edmonton's fares are nuts. I wouldn't mind paying $75 for a pass if we had transit service to match. Guess that's why $50 doesn't seem bad to me.

The funny thing is that the reason that the fares are going up is so that Edmonton's fares are in line with other cities, specifically Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary.

But, when it came to fleet utilisations, comparisons with those cities were considered unfair. :(

Edmonton's fares are nuts. I wouldn't mind paying $75 for a pass if we had transit service to match. Guess that's why $50 doesn't seem bad to me.

• Board Admin

Isn't SCT run by the city now instead of PWT? Thought they would have kept fares low...

It's still cheaper than insurance alone (not to mention car payments, gas, parking, etc).

Isn't SCT run by the city now instead of PWT? Thought they would have kept fares low...

It's still cheaper than insurance alone (not to mention car payments, gas, parking, etc).

Don't forget about the costs of maintaining a vehicle(s).

There's also the stress of driving in this City. Let someone else do the driving.

Mine's free. So there.

Was it worth all the years of driving though?

Wasn't it when ETS got audited that the auditor suggested bringing our fares more 'in line' with other cities?

"In line" means charging the same cash fare for adult and child?

I haven't researched it too much... but, I guess in a little bit of fairness to ETS in that regard, I believe a lot of systems I read about with smart cards have a single cash fare for everyone. Adults, seniors, children all pay the same. Although, at this point, I think a full smart card system for transit is still a year or two away at best.

The funny thing is that the reason that the fares are going up is so that Edmonton's fares are in line with other cities, specifically Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary.

But, when it came to fleet utilisations, comparisons with those cities were considered unfair. :(

And yet, our transit system certainly doesn't provide the service those systems do. Even Calgary has a larger LRT system and even BRT with a ever growing number of artics... used on more than one route...

Forgot to reply...

Yes, I know the drivers are under contract with the County. I assume the buses were bought by the County even while PWT was operating them.

I just hope this fare increase isn't because they decided they need to replace the GMs... If they are, I volunteer to take two! One for restoration and the other for parts! :( Though storage might be a b*tch. Wish my parent's bought that acreage now.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention is I think the SCT pass features an ETS bus on it... :( as if our million dollar coaches aren't photo worthy.