Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

2 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

I was just about to mention that, lol. The 21 always running the full route all day (not short-turning at Grace Hospital), even though the 22 is still operating.

It looks like there will actually be fewer 22s, however. The last inbound one of the morning is scheduled to arrive at Whytewold at 8:09 (though all times for stops between timing points are estimates anyway), so if I’m back to work before Transit restores regular service, I’ll have to take the 21 at 8:38 when I normally take the 22 four minutes later.

Looking at all-day routes that don't operate on Saturdays (ie. 36, 88, 97, 98, etc), the pattern seems to be reducing service to peak hours only. The 36 isn't too hurtful (the 29 is still there, and the 47 and 60 will connect to it, and the 19 and 33 will connect from the 29), but for those that need the 88, 97, or 98, that won't be great.

I also noticed that the 95 will only go to Pan Am Pool on the downgraded schedule, matching the Saturday schedule. It would be nice if the 95 still went to Shaftesbury Park on weekdays. At the very least do it during peak hours, to sort of match the above pattern (all-day weekday service being reduced to peak-only, if there is no Saturday service).

On 4/22/2020 at 7:17 PM, Isaac Williams said:

On 160-B, in the signing instructions, I find it interesting that it says the "Route Sign" is listed as "160 Pembina", but the 160's never said "Pembina" anywhere, unlike the new 47.

In the past the service change posters have often referred to the 160 as the "160 Pembina" too (and the 162 as "162 Richmond Express"), despite those names never appearing on the schedules or the actual buses.

1 hour ago, car4041 said:

(and the 162 as "162 Richmond Express")

Honestly, I never understood why Transit never really used the the name "Richmond Express" on the 162, and "Richmond" on the 170. After all, the 162 and 170 completely replaced the 62 Richmond Express and 70 Richmond, unlike the 160 which didn't replace the 60 Pembina. Thanks to Street View, I know that the 62 displayed "RICHMOND EXP" on the front of the bus, so why not do that with the 162? It's certainly a lot better than "Ft. Richmond-St. Norbert Express". But oh well, that's in the past now, and we have the 662 Richmond now.
Old62.thumb.png.273b1db109be4a62f4060d43679442bf.png

40 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Honestly, I never understood why Transit never really used the the name "Richmond Express" on the 162, and "Richmond" on the 170. After all, the 162 and 170 completely replaced the 62 Richmond Express and 70 Richmond, unlike the 160 which didn't replace the 60 Pembina. Thanks to Street View, I know that the 62 displayed "RICHMOND EXP" on the front of the bus, so why not do that with the 162? It's certainly a lot better than "Ft. Richmond-St. Norbert Express".

Also funny that the 137 DID say “RICHMOND SUPER EXPRESS”

7 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Honestly, I never understood why Transit never really used the the name "Richmond Express" on the 162, and "Richmond" on the 170. After all, the 162 and 170 completely replaced the 62 Richmond Express and 70 Richmond, unlike the 160 which didn't replace the 60 Pembina. Thanks to Street View, I know that the 62 displayed "RICHMOND EXP" on the front of the bus, so why not do that with the 162? It's certainly a lot better than "Ft. Richmond-St. Norbert Express". But oh well, that's in the past now, and we have the 662 Richmond now.

The 162 used to not even say express but then people got confused so they put express on the sign 

11 hours ago, car4041 said:

In the past the service change posters have often referred to the 160 as the "160 Pembina" too (and the 162 as "162 Richmond Express"), despite those names never appearing on the schedules or the actual buses.

Interestingly, those same posters have referred to the 183 as the “Richmond Express” as well, it having been spun off from a branch of the pre-Phase 1 62. Even though the name “Richmond West Express” appeared on the buses. I’ve also seen the 160 referred to as the “Pembina Express,” including in city council documents, even though that name isn’t entirely accurate as its express segment only lasted the length of the Transitway, though the 24 Ness Express doesn’t run express on Ness either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Interestingly, those same posters have referred to the 183 as the “Richmond Express” as well, it having been spun off from a branch of the pre-Phase 1 62. Even though the name “Richmond West Express” appeared on the buses. I’ve also seen the 160 referred to as the “Pembina Express,” including in city council documents, even though that name isn’t entirely accurate as its express segment only lasted the length of the Transitway, though the 24 Ness Express doesn’t run express on Ness either.

The express naming convention typically describes where the bus terminates, not the Express section. For example 58 Dakota Express terminates on Dakota but expresses down Dunkirk/Osborne. Same with the South St. Anne’s Express. An exception to this is the Grant Express.

22 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

I got the new runs cards and most stuff its a Saturday schedule but some odd runs that don't run on a Saturday. 

From what I saw on the website, every route that runs on weekdays will continue to run.

Winnipeg Transit will continue to monitor ridership levels, and will resume regular bus service throughout the City once it makes sense to do so.

I wonder what WT means by this. How would they determine whether it “makes sense to resume regular bus service” or not?

3 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder what WT means by this. How would they determine whether it “makes sense to resume regular bus service” or not?

Ridership numbers, I would assume. If the number of passengers is increasing, then Transit can make the decision to restore proper service.

6 hours ago, MMP15 said:

An exception to this is the Grant Express.

The 21 Portage Express, 25 Ness Super Express, 34 McPhillips "Super" Express and 41 Henderson Express are other exceptions.

12 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Looking at more timetables for next change, it appears they’re gonna run the 83 out to the industrial park on Saturdays. I think that’s the only deviation from the regular Saturday schedule.

Interesting. I'm not surprised they're adding Murray Park on the Weekday schedule, but I see it's on the Saturday schedule too. Very odd.

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

Has anyone found any Saturday schedules beginning May 4th that are better than the existing ones? For example as pointed out by someone else earlier the 83 will now run to Murray Park on Saturday’s (which is great!)

Not exactly what you're asking about, but as a result of the changes, the 18 will run to Assiniboine Park on weekdays (usually it's just on weekends). I would love if the 95 ran to Shaftesbury Park on weekends, but now it won't do it at all - not even during rush hour! To be fair, the 677 has partially replaced what I use the 95 for, and the 84/86 was an option too (preferably 86), but I'm sure people living along West Taylor will not appreciate the removal of service. I also noticed the 677 will not go to the Industrial Park during rush hour, but at least they don't have too far to walk to get to a 74.

On track with the question, I don't know of any other Saturday schedule that has been improved.

11 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Not exactly what you're asking about, but as a result of the changes, the 18 will run to Assiniboine Park on weekdays (usually it's just on weekends). I would love if the 95 ran to Shaftesbury Park on weekends, but now it won't do it at all - not even during rush hour! To be fair, the 677 has partially replaced what I use the 95 for, and the 84/86 was an option too (preferably 86), but I'm sure people living along West Taylor will not appreciate the removal of service. I also noticed the 677 will not go to the Industrial Park during rush hour, but at least they don't have too far to walk to get to a 74.

On track with the question, I don't know of any other Saturday schedule that has been improved.

That is nice about the 18. In my opinion, the 95 should run to Shaftesbury Park all week, and never run to Polo Park. Transfer to a 66/74 if you want to go there.

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

Has anyone found any Saturday schedules beginning May 4th that are better than the existing ones? For example as pointed out by someone else earlier the 83 will now run to Murray Park on Saturday’s (which is great!)

The only disadvantage I see with what they’re doing with the 83 is that it will still only have the two buses at rush hour (usually it gets a third), meaning the headways on that route will increase from 36 minutes to nearly 50 at rush hour (the usual rush hour headway on the 83 is an even 30 minutes).

17 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Not exactly what you're asking about, but as a result of the changes, the 18 will run to Assiniboine Park on weekdays (usually it's just on weekends). I would love if the 95 ran to Shaftesbury Park on weekends, but now it won't do it at all - not even during rush hour! I also noticed the 677 will not go to the Industrial Park during rush hour, but at least they don't have too far to walk to get to a 74.

The 18 runs to the zoo on stats as well. I wonder why the 83 gets its rush-hour extension but the 95 and 677 do not. I do agree that the 95 should always run to at least Shaftesbury, seeing as Taylor and Grant are pretty far apart, though maybe providing a 66 connection somewhere further west wouldn’t be a bad idea.