Saskatoon Updates

I knew last weekend that 12 buses were sold to Saskatoon and chosen already and was told that 20 were sold in total, but I guess the remaining 8 have not been selected yet since the news article reports that 8 more will be on the way a bit later.

Those 12 must be coming soon. I'll try to swing by the bus barns tonight and see if I can spot them. I'll look for 1993 D40LF's, and not MCI's as I was hoping... :(

Read the article that is were I got those years and maybe they will get some Classic's.

I've read enough incorrect newspaper articles to take specific details like that with a grain of salt.

Of course, I hope the irony isn't lost on you that you told me to "read the article" after you asked if the other 8 buses included 6 from West Van, despite that the article seems to clearly indicate they are coming from Calgary. Not to mention your post the other day after you clearly did not read, or perhaps didn't comprehend, the associated newspaper article.

Given Mr. Cheese's past history I wouldn't take an assumption from him as gospel. That's how rumours start. Wait and see what turns up.

Well, one article I read said the buses were about 20 years old. Good advice though, wait and see what arrives. My post was more of a guess though.

Oh, and I went by the garage. No new buses. 443 is now back, and looks repainted!

504 out today. On a high school special. I rode it. Noticed inside that the stop requested signs are still French. Also, the engine cover was stuck open, so I could see the engine as the bus pulled away. As usual, it sounded like crap.

Also, 504 has no ITS signs in it. I guess they won't be upgrading it to the signs...

A Saskatoon child take a Saskatoon Transit bus on a joy ride.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1548092/boy-9-takes-saskatoon-transit-bus-on-joy-ride/

The bus was 0702. The damage is pretty bad. Left mirror is gone, and glass broken. The front bumper is also damaged.

A 2002 Artic caught fire yesterday. Possibly 0210 or maybe 212?

EDIT: The kid hit 1103.

Money is a big problem here. All the money the city gets goes to the river bank area called "river landing". Also, Transit has to go to city hall, and explain why we need new buses. Some times, city council says "why do we need these buses? Aren't the other ones working?" In the end, it all comes down to money. Regina gets the government grant to buy buses, Saskatoon goes and, in a sense, looks in the couch for money. If we were like Alberta, or Ontario, where the government pays for 75% of the bus, the fleet would look much different. That's why a bus like 371, which was 36 years old, was still running, with 1.5 million km's on it.

Shoot, I wish we had old buses with 6V92TA's running around here still! Lucky...

Enough damage to add to the bus repair problem

Yep. I think Saskatoon Transit should take a look at allowing First Transit to take over the maintence of buses. First Transit should not take over anything else except the maintence of the fleet.

A Saskatoon child take a Saskatoon Transit bus on a joy ride.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1548092/boy-9-takes-saskatoon-transit-bus-on-joy-ride/

The bus was 0702. The damage is pretty bad. Left mirror is gone, and glass broken. The front bumper is also damaged.

A 2002 Artic caught fire yesterday. Possibly 0210 or maybe 212?

EDIT: The kid hit 1103.

I think Saskatoon Transit should get a yard with a lot of storage for buses.

Yep. I think Saskatoon Transit should take a look at allowing First Transit to take over the maintence of buses. First Transit should not take over anything else except the maintence of the fleet.

And what qualifications do you have to be making a statement like that? Besides, given that a Union already represents the mechanics, I don't see that going over so well in the first place.

I think Saskatoon Transit should get a yard with a lot of storage for buses.

That will help a lot. None the less... I'll bite... why do you think they to get a yard with a lot of storage for buses?

Repair problem is simply a shortage of mechanics. Who is first transit?

Yeah, I can't see that First would be able to attract any more mechanics than Saskatoon Transit. I'd be surprised if First had hire wages than Saskatoon Transit. Not that it would matter... Union contracts and all...

Ironically, a lot of agencies contract drivers to third parties and do the maintenance themselves, the opposite of what Cheese proposes. Here in Alberta anyways.

I don't think the incident that happened today helps the whole mechanic shortage thing. How long will it take to get the busses repaired?

No. It's been a bad week for Saskatoon Transit. It will probably take 60 days for 0702 to be repaired if ST goes for Big Rig.

0702 looks like there is some damage to the pillar. Wonder if it'll end up at Big Rig in Calgary for repairs.

I think it will.

They could have a one year trail to see if First Transit could more people to work for them. The city could say you must keep the same employees plus hirer new mechanics with the same or higher pay plus keep the union.

Any company with any smarts wouldn't even look at a deal like that. There would be no money in it for them.