Photography Equipment

Enviro 500

A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

Nikon D3100 DSLR.

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

DX AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6G VR and a DX AF-S Nikkor 55 - 300mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 ED VR and a Zeikos 52mm Professional HD DSLR MC AF 0.45X Wide Angle W/Macro attachment.

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

Being my first DSLR, I am really enjoying it. It's easy to use and learn with. I've been a Nikon fan for a while now. I enjoy the 18 - 55 mm kit lens but I love my 55 - 300mm lens... The pictures are sharp and crisp.

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

I would like to expand my collection by adding a fish-eye lens and a macro lens.

My current camera is a Canon PowerShot A2300. It has a 5x optical zoom, 16 megapixel resolutions and can shoot 640x480 video at 30 fps or 720p video at 25 fps. I've gotten many good photos while transitfanning during the daytime. Video quality is decent enough for ride videos. However, it is not a good performer at nighttime photography or low light photography without having to turn the flash on and/or mount the camera on a tripod. Also, it doesn't have optical image stabilization, and cannot refocus or use the optical zoom when recording video, which can get irritating at times.

My wishlist of SLR cameras are: Canon Rebel T3, Rebel T3i or Rebel T4i. For point and shoot cameras my wishlist is: Canon Powershot SX50HS, Canon PowerShot ELPH 330HS, Canon Powershot SX280HS, Canon Powershot D20, or the Sony WX70.

Went ahead and bought a Nikon 70-300mm VR today from London Drugs. I haven't had much of a chance to use it, but it's freakin' massive compared to my 55-200mm VR.

I'm still expecting a package this week from B&H :D

I have the Nikon 55 - 300mm. It's quite large.

Have you had a chance to shoot with your new lens yet?

I have the Nikon 55 - 300mm. It's quite large.

Have you had a chance to shoot with your new lens yet?

Yeah, they're quite large haha

I haven't had many chances to use it, and in all honesty, I don't use telephotos much. I have a friend who works for a large electronics chain and the deal he gave me was too good to pass up ^_^

Also, I just recieved my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 today from B&H Photo! After over a year of drooling over UWA (ultra wide angle) lenses I finally decided to pick one up.

I'll try and post some photos taken with the lenses after the weekend

Yeah, they're quite large haha

I haven't had many chances to use it, and in all honesty, I don't use telephotos much. I have a friend who works for a large electronics chain and the deal he gave me was too good to pass up ^_^

Also, I just recieved my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 today from B&H Photo! After over a year of drooling over UWA (ultra wide angle) lenses I finally decided to pick one up.

I'll try and post some photos taken with the lenses after the weekend

A wide angle is something I'd love to pick up. That and a macro lens! I use my telephoto quite a bit too.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen some other forums which keep lists of the cameraes / lenses that are used by the members, which I thought it's quite interesting, especially when we have lots of photographers on this board!

Several questions to be answered:

A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

Dave

Seems like I'm one of the few Nikon guys...

A) Nikon D5100 Backup: Nikon P&S (don't remember model number)

B) AF-S DX 18-55 VR seems to do the trick...

C) 10/10 (Provides all I need)

D) AF-S 55-200 VR(Ill be getting that soon) and a prime lens...

Additional: Dynex Tripod.. really sturdy... $40-50 at Best Buy

Also has those leveling thingys on the mount

I dont really use VR, it uses my battery.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

You must have one steady hand to not use VR without a tripod, although some people can pull it off. Heck i shake most of the time so VR helps.

Yep, I can pull it off. I have real steady hands with DSLRs but shaky with Point and shoots because the shutter speed is way slower.

(If the shutter speed is over 1 second, then it will be shaky)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Photography Equipment Update:

My uncle gave me two lenses, and I bought one while in my home country of Hong Kong.

I began listing weights for no apparent reason.

I changed this up a bit, added a section on cards, section C.

A.)

- Nikon D5100 (554g)

- Nikon Coolpix L22

- Yashica (Japanese brand) EZ W-401L

B.)

- AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm 265g

- AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 (original 1987 version) 415g

- AF-n ED Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 (newer 1988 version) 750.5g

- Sigma DG 70-300mm Macro. 500g *Non APO version*

C.)

- Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB

- Lexar Platinum II 32GB

D.)

- Camera 9/10

- Lenses: 18-55mm 9/10

- 70-300mm 9/10

- 85mm 9/10

- 180mm 9/10

Comments: Pretty heavy lenses. No AF on my primes. I may get more lenses as presents in the future, my uncle is clearing out DSLR equipment as he no longer uses DSLRs due to weight reasons. I heard he may give me his F90 and some other lenses, my primes he gave me.

Total weight in bag: 5.4763 pounds/ 2484g. I usually pick two lenses to go.

E.)

- None for lenses

- EN-EL14 battery pack

• 1 month later...

I've buy an Tamron 18-200 last week from B&H due to a huge reduction (was 200$, real price 300$) ... but it's after i've ordered it that i realize it was a Macro lens ... anyway i took it out to the field last week and it's definitively at NO BUY for transit photography. Hesistant and Autofocus killed many shot, hard to find focus in cloudy conditions and in bonus not very sharp. Returing it

Doesn't matter that it's a "macro" lens, it wouldn't even be a true macro lens because a lens like that would not have a 1:1 reproduction ratio. The term "macro lens" is only used as a marketing term on that lens.

I know that fact, but when you cannot properly focus a scene on an average cloudy day ... you know that you've made a bad buy (this lens is OK if you have all the time in the world to shoot, but in this business that is transit photography, we don't have this privilege)

I just upgraded, FINALLY....

I finally retired my beloved, Canon A580, its being kept though, as its from someone very special, infact one of my closest friends..

I had until february, a Fuji S3400, ok camera, BUT it was destroying my SD cards, I had 3 get corrupted by it, it also when connecting with iPhoto on my iMac, caused it to crash, constantly.. So, I took it to blind camp & gave it to a close friend, as he knows a LOT about cameras & he was willing to use it for parts, I wanted to just give it away, but he insisted on giving me $200 for it..

That $200, has been sitting in a spot here, since, waiting for me to find something decent..

I did, a month ago..

I got a S4200 & S2000HD, for exactly $200, yep, you heard right.. BOTH for $200, we have a pawn shop nearby, I frequent it a lot, as they have cheap old XBOX games & PS2 games..

I got 2 SD cards as well, a 32GB for mine & a 16GB for Chris... as he will be using the S2000HD, both cards were INCLUDED..

I'm very happy with the 4200, its a sweet camera, being legally blind I'm not able to use a DSLR, even though I own a Canon DSLR kit already, (bequeathed to me by a close friend who died in may) its worth about $2900 for the whole kit, as appraised in july, for insurance purposes.

I have a close friend here that we hang out with a lot, he's gotten me into practricing constantly, as he says, you have to take tons of pics to get good.

I've been doing a lot of transit photography, as well as documenting inaccessibility here in the HRM, I also took pics of the new cranes coming into HALTERM..

I also scored a sweet Golla wide neck Strap & water proof super protective case for under $12..

now to find a monopod, that collapses for use with the power chair as well as a big Gorilla grip..