Photography Equipment

Enviro 500

Quick look at some of my gear.

(Top to Bottom, Left to Right)

Sto-Fen Omnibounce, Gary Fong Lightsphere

Canon 7D w/BG-E7, Canon T1i w/BG-E5, 24-70mm 2.8L, 16-35mm 2.8L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

Shutter Release Cable, 2x Canon LP-E6 Battery, Giottos Rocket Blower, Canon 600EX-RT Flash

4x Sandisk Extreme 16GB CF, various SD Cards and cleaning supplies and Blackrapid RS-Sport 2 strap.

IMG_4689.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My current arsenal...

Cameras:

Sony DSC-W350

I mainly use this camera if I'm with my family for small trips (less than one day) and know I won't have an opportunity for transit photography. That way when they're inside a store visiting something I could stand outside and snap one or two photos.

Canon Rebel T3

My main camera. It's been doing wonderful for me so far.

Lens/other accessories:

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II + EW-60C

The combination I use the most.

50mm f/1.8 + Hoya 52mm UV Filter + ES-62

I mainly use this for night photography, but also for day photography if I don't wanna carry my kit lens around.

75-300mm f/4-5.6 III + EW-60C

I interchange the lens hood with my kit lens, though I don't use this lens much in the first place.

Dynatran AT-L100T Aluminum Tripod Base + Dynatran ATH-03H Aluminum Ball Head

Just purchased this on Cyber Monday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

My current arsenal...

50mm f/1.8 + Hoya 52mm UV Filter + ES-62

I mainly use this for night photography, but also for day photography if I don't wanna carry my kit lens around.

With the giant inset of the lens element on the nifty fifty, that ES-62 isn't really needed...unless you want to impress someone ;)

...or have some fun and stack it with a Nikon-style 58mm pinch cap, 52>58mm step-up ring, UV filter, and ES62 mount:

Canon50stacked.jpg

I just keep the 52-58 step up on it since all my other lenses are 58mm.

If anyone can answer, what are the benefits of having both a point and shoot and a DSLR? I'm getting an Nikon S9300 for Christmas to replace my Sony DSC W350 and I was thinking of getting a DSLR in the near future when I get enough money.

If anyone can answer, what are the benefits of having both a point and shoot and a DSLR? I'm getting an Nikon S9300 for Christmas to replace my Sony DSC W350 and I was thinking of getting a DSLR in the near future when I get enough money.

Point and shoot:

- Easier to carry around.

- Cheaper.

- No need to worry about extra material such as lenses, lens caps, lens hoods, cleaning equipment, etc.

DSLR:

- Significantly better in low light conditions, as you can adjust your ISO higher.

- The different lenses express different kinds of photo settings very well.

- You can start your own photography career with a DSLR camera, covering some events, etc.

Point and shoot:

- Cheaper.

- No need to worry about extra material such as lenses, lens caps, lens hoods, cleaning equipment, etc.

DSLR:

- Significantly better in low light conditions, as you can adjust your ISO higher.

- You can start your own photography career with a DSLR camera, covering some events, etc.

Thanks. I'll consider it.

Hopefully planning to pick up a nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII over the break. Need a sport lens. Anyone else have any alternative suggestions for a fast sport lens? I've also considered a nikon 70-200 F4 VR that just came out but spending money on an F4 lens means losing a lot of light for indoors.

Hopefully planning to pick up a nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII over the break. Need a sport lens. Anyone else have any alternative suggestions for a fast sport lens? I've also considered a nikon 70-200 F4 VR that just came out but spending money on an F4 lens means losing a lot of light for indoors.

Try looking on Kijiji for a used Sigma 70-200 2.8. Just as sharp and you don't have to fork out the $2100 or whatever the Nikon version costs.

Point and shoot:

- Cheaper.

DSLR:

IMO, 'easier to carry around' is the only pro in favor of a point & shoot camera. P&S cameras are indeed cheaper, but you get what you pay for. In my experience the multiple lens issue for DSLR's only comes into play if I'm either out all day and want flexibility or if I'm shooting in low light conditions - otherwise, a basic 18-55mm kit lens can be kept on the camera at all times.

I know that a photographer can get great photographs with a basic point & shoot, but I've found that the typical cheap camera that you can stick in your pocket usually has simple controls that are often less-than-optimal for the transit or rail fan. My wife has a $200 Canon P&S that I bought for her a few Christmases back but I've probably taken only a dozen or so transit photos with it - it just doesn't give me the necessary controls over shutter speed and aperture to get satisfying images on a consistent basis. I guess I just don't see the point of having a camera in my pocket to capture an unexpected photographic opportunity if there's a good chance I'm going to be frustrated with the results.

I presently carry a Canon SX40HS P&S and a Canon 50D.

The P&S has a smaller sensor and thus deeper depth of field. It is less conspicuous than a DSLR. I have had 4 s-series super-zooms starting with the S2, then S5, SX20 and now the SX40. All have digital viewfinders and an optional view grid for rule of thirds, helps keep the pictures square, etc. Generally run in TV mode at 1/320. The SX40 also shoots good HD video.

The 50D quickly replaced a Canon Rebel because the 50D has better low light capability. I run it with a Sigma 18-200 non-IS lens because IS doesn't work well on some moving objects. The DSLRs have a bigger sensor and a shallower depth of field than a P&S. I shoot in AV mode at F11 or F13 and adjust the ISO to get a good shutter speed. The DSLR as a bigger and brighter viewfinder, I changed the focussing screen with one having a grid on it. I chose the 50D because it has a sealed body and I didn't need video.

The bus photo was taken on the SX40HS and the streetcar with the 50D.

1151a-11-26-12-mt.jpg 2032-stib-mt.jpg

While a P&S is nice for ideal condition shots and photos can indeed rival those of a DSLR, DSLR's have much greater capabilities when it comes to manual control, DOF, image quality and shooting under more challenging conditions like at night, in low light situation like subway stations, etc. The drawback: you have to lug one around.

If you want something portable to bring around for causal fanning and shots a P&S might be best. If you do a lot of fanning, hardcore fanning, feel limited by your current camera or are into photography, a DSLR would be something worth getting, or a higher end P&S such as a Canon G-series.

But at the end of the day, a photo is 10% gear, 90% the person using it (the specifics are debatable).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I was thinking that in the not so distant future I might want to get a Canon Rebel T2i or T3i and give my Sony HX10V to my brother or something. I have a question: Is a $500+ Camera still worth it if you only go fanning a few times a week? When I go fanning I'm usually out for about 8-10 hours but I because of things like work, laziness and other factors I only go about 2-3 times per week.

Thanks in advance.

Its up to you on how much you want to spend on a camera. But if you feel like going to a 500+ dollar package, go for it if you feel its a good deal. a T2i or T3i isnt a bad option. You might score a used body for cheap too and whatever lens you want thats up to you. It wont matter how long you go out for and use it, it will last you. Heck i havent touched my camera for a few weeks. I have been using it to film game footage for school. But i havent shot transit with it in a month and half maybe since i've been busy and away from the hobby fot the time being.

My equipment history:

Olympus FE170 July 2009 - December 2010

Sony Cybershot W350 - December 2010 -December 2012

Nikon Coolpix S9300 - January 2013 (Returned it to the store because I wasn't impressed with it)

Sony Cybershot HX10V - January 2013- Present (Back up Camera)

Canon EOS Rebel t2i - February 2013 - Present (Main Camera)

I'm also looking to pick up a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens and a Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Lens 50 f/1.8

sometime this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Gear update:

Canon Rebel t2i with BE-G8 battery grip and 32g Sandisk class 10 Memory card.

Lenses: (All Canon)

18-55mm Kit lens (Used for day photography)

55-250mm Lens

28mm f/2.8 lens (Older version;used for Night photography)