CT Big Buses on Shuttle Pieces of Work

Gsgeek540

10 minutes ago, Hypn0tized said:

Don't be surprised to see more shuttle work being done by conventional buses on weekends. They are averaging about 30 shuttle operators sitting on standby each weekend due to lack of shuttle buses. They are being paid to sit all day.

Transit is  not able to get new shuttle buses. The work is being done by conventional buses, for now during the summer. Once school starts, not sure how they can maintain this.

I don't understand why they can't. Supply chain issues? Lack of available funds?

2 hours ago, Hypn0tized said:

Don't be surprised to see more shuttle work being done by conventional buses on weekends. They are averaging about 30 shuttle operators sitting on standby each weekend due to lack of shuttle buses. They are being paid to sit all day.

Transit is  not able to get new shuttle buses. The work is being done by conventional buses, for now during the summer. Once school starts, not sure how they can maintain this.

Things are looking glum in terms of the fleet perspective for the short term, I can imagine some of these intended service increases starting in September to be stretched super thin to the point where there’s a possibility trips may be cancelled in some instances. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hypn0tized said:

They can't get them from manufacturers as quick as they need them. Don't forget the average service life of a shuttle is a lot less then that of a conventional bus.

I think it took CT way too long to figure out the service life of a shuttle because in Route-Ahead they projected the service span as 5 years yet we have shuttles running that are 8+ years old now (1825 being the oldest at 10 years) If they knew the 5 years was the safely obtainable service span of shuttles they should've planned an order of them closer to the service span of the 1800's being up, rather then sitting around and then watching the system fall apart cause they don't have enough running. 

• Like 4

The largest problem is that the fleet coming up for renewal is simply too massive at the moment. It's not easy to just replace ~100-150 vehicles in one swoop every 5 years. Just given the sheer amount of logistics and manpower involved alone, it makes you wonder if it's really more cost effective to do it this way compared to purchasing smaller numbers of buses (be it shuttle or conventional) as smaller fleets come up for replacement, or even a large conventional order every 20 years, as the shuttle operation is kept down to a more modest size (as IMO it very much should be, and I could go on forever about Calgary Transit's borderline abusive implementation of the community shuttle concept but that's a topic for another day). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 2102 said:

I don't understand why they can't. Supply chain issues? Lack of available funds?

Everyone cancelled orders during COVID. Now that COVID is more or less over, everyone wants/needs buses. That on top of supply chain issues.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...