Ranking buses in OC Transpo fleet (present and past)

sseguin

Hello, I'm just curious for those in the know, if they can rank the following buses on the following areas. Obviously this will be your opinion and that's what I'm interested in.

• Fastest to Slowest Acceleration.
  • Highest Top Speed.
  • Most Enjoyable/Fun to Drive.
  • Most Reliable to Least Reliable.
  • Best to Worse in Winter and Snow Conditions.

Here are the buses to rank.

• GM NewLook
  • GM Classic
  • GM Artic
  • Orion Ikarus
  • Nova Classic
  • New Flyer D40HF
  • Orion V
  • Orion V 97-98
  • Nova LFS 97-98
  • Orion VI
  • New Flyer D60LF
  • New Flyer D40i Invero
  • Orion VII Hybrid
  • New Flyer D60LFr
  • Alexander Dennis Double Decker

Thank you.

The best artic in snow is by far the Orion 3/Ikarus 286, as the engine, instead of being in the very rear of the bus in the rear section, and the rear axle being the powers axle, the engine was located at the back of  front section, so it was literally at bus pulling a trailer which made it get much better traction, especially going up icy hills.

Only problem with the Orion/Ikarus artics where no weight in rear and they would always slide side ways in snow when turning to fast around corners..

As for bus order my picks are:

GM New Look

GM Artics

Orion 1

Classics(all makes)

NFI D60LF/R's

NFI D40HF

Orion v's

Orion VI's

Orion VII's

Novabus LFs

Orion Ikarus

DD bus

NFI D40i(worst bus ever!!!)

Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker. Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Only problem with the Orion/Ikarus artics where no weight in rear and they would always slide side ways in snow when turning to fast around corners..

That’s what made them so fun to ride :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

The Orion Ikarus where not a bad bus, if wasn't for our cold winters and snow they where that bad. Some what dirty with dust and every thing but all in all not that bad.

Tell that to the guys who found holes in the air intake ducts big enough to stick their fists through.

6 hours ago, sseguin said:

Hmmm. This is really going in a weird direction. Haha

How would you rank the buses from fastest to slowest acceleration?

New Flyer D40i Invero is my favourite go kart to use on the Transitway.

Alexander Dennis Enviro500 is my favourite granny cart for Routes like the 11.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sseguin said:

Does the Invero accelerate faster than even the Orion VI?

Don't know much about the Orion VI. I think I was still eating sand at that time.

But, the Invero definitely accelerates better than the Orion VII Hybrid

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, Kit Kat said:

The Orion 5s 91xx, 92xx, 97xx and 98xx batches were all very quick not sure what batch was faster.

The MCI classics and New Flyer D40s i can't recall how quick they were off the line.

Safe to say that the 85 and 87 GM Classics were the slowest. 

I would say that the most enjoyable low floor bus to ride would have to be either an D60LF or D60LFR. D60LFR slightly edges it out. Invero comes next.  The hybrids are not very likable for me. They should have went diesel. I mean, there's nothing special about them. Seats are fine, A/C is fine for me, I would have just rathered they come with a diesel powertrain instead.

Most enjoyable high floor would have been the MCI/NovaBus Classics, with D40s coming in second and later 98xx Orion Vs coming at a close third. I can't comment on the 91xx-92xx Orion V batches or the fishbowls because I have never ridden them. The GM Classics I have never ridden, but I heard that they were pretty slow, especially the 85xx and 87xx batches.