2018/2019 Electric Bus Project

Express691

One piece of information in the Low Carbon Fleet Strategy report relates to the operation on route 100. There is proposal to build a third charging station but the report doesn't say where it will be. The budgeted cost is $2m, which is twice the reported cost of the original two charging stations. Translink officials have always said the charging stations cost $1m each. 

Anyone got an idea where the 3rd charger might be sited? The high price might indicate that either the unit is special in some way or the location is difficult.  

1 hour ago, martin607 said:

One piece of information in the Low Carbon Fleet Strategy report relates to the operation on route 100. There is proposal to build a third charging station but the report doesn't say where it will be. The budgeted cost is $2m, which is twice the reported cost of the original two charging stations. Translink officials have always said the charging stations cost $1m each. 

Anyone got an idea where the 3rd charger might be sited? The high price might indicate that either the unit is special in some way or the location is difficult.  

Could be Marine Drive Station, or maybe half way, maybe Knight Street.

1 hour ago, popillil said:

Could be Marine Drive Station, or maybe half way, maybe Knight Street.

I could only see them putting a charge at Marine Drive Station if they were gonna do short-turn trips. Knight is more likely because it's a time point and buses usually sit there for a few minutes. They could also just install another charger at either end of the route if they're planning on making it fully electric soon.

3 hours ago, martin607 said:

I don't think our dollar has been doing too well of late, which might explain the sudden price jump.

20 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I don't think our dollar has been doing too well of late, which might explain the sudden price jump.

Don't forget the report was prepared months ago.

21 hours ago, 8010 said:

I could only see them putting a charge at Marine Drive Station if they were gonna do short-turn trips. Knight is more likely because it's a time point and buses usually sit there for a few minutes. They could also just install another charger at either end of the route if they're planning on making it fully electric soon.

I was speculating, based on the double price, that it would be at Marine Drive Station and maybe it was a super powered version rated a 1MW (i.e. 1,000 kW) to give a flash boost mid-trip, rather than the regular version which is presently 450 kW maximum. But your suggestion of Knight sounds more likely.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, Orcair said:

Does anyone know the status of 19303? Curious since it's the only one I haven't seen operate in months...

I doubt whether 19301-19304 were still in service. Last week when I travelled by HTC I saw all 4 units inside with their doors open. Given that 100 has been using mostly CNG buses for a long time, I hope the BEVs were not suspended...

6 minutes ago, HarmonyX said:

I doubt whether 19301-19304 were still in service. Last week when I travelled by HTC I saw all 4 units inside with their doors open. Given that 100 has been using mostly CNG buses for a long time, I hope the BEVs were not suspended...

It's definitely a fair point, though 19304 seems to have been operating fairly regularly: http://tcomm.bustrainferry.com/mobile/bus/19304