2012 Novabus LFS #'s 8181-8200

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Rode 8182 on the 9 this afternoon.

Some observations:

• the LED headlights are quite noticeable and help distinguish these buses from older Novas
  • interior LED lighting is also nice. There are "light strips" running across the roof (pic) which look cool but I think are way too bright and actually hurt my eyes to look directly at.
  • front door is still painfully slow. Rear door interlock still clicks.
  • the two 'Next Stop' signs inside now illuminate yellow-green instead of orange

I really dislike not having a rear window. The back area of the bus feels more cramped and less spacious.

I actually prefer the bright lights inside.

As an operator, I do not prefer the really bright lights on the inside of a bus as they create a lot more glare on the windshield after dark and it makes it that much more difficult for us to see people waiting for the bus in the dark as we approach stops. I find this glare issue in the NFI's and the Nova's.

As an operator, I do not prefer the really bright lights on the inside of a bus as they create a lot more glare on the windshield after dark and it makes it that much more difficult for us to see people waiting for the bus in the dark as we approach stops. I find this glare issue in the NFI's and the Nova's.

Unfortunately it's up to CT and the Union how to make it continue to reduce lighting. Blue lights do help!

Well it was in diesel being prepped for the past few days, then it was replaced by 8187 which had been in another bay. It seems that at first they park them on the west side of diesel and do some work, then move them over to the east side to finish the work. Right now it is 8187 on the east side, and 8188 on the west side.

I drove 8182 this morning on my 48. First time in several months I have driven one on the 48 so I took it easy. It was the first assigned nova to me all signup! ive had a couple via changeoffs. I must say, it Drives nice. Looks nice. Still has that new bus smell to it. I did drive 8178 4 of its first 5 days of operation so a newer Nova is not new to me.

It does have some minor operational issues/differences to the other Novas

-Anytime the kneeler is deployed, the 4 ways automatically come on. I believe this already happens in the other Novas when the ramp is deployed.

- I was unable to activate the 4 ways and high beams (via hitting both signal pedals) for my pretrip inspection

-Touch screen destination controller is bright. It stays on. As far as i discovered, there is no way to shut off. I do like the display. It shows it exactly how its displayed on your sign however.

-Heaters and Vents took over a minute to turn on.

-I had what appears to be an air conditioning fail light on dash. Went out after a while. Maybe tied to long wait for heaters/vents?

-Disengaging the interlock is must faster, very jerky and very aggressive. Usually a tap on the brake or gas leads to a slight movement forward. With this 1, its a complete jerk unless u give it full brake application.

All and All, i enjoyed and still enjoy driving novas. Hope to get some more soon.

I had 8184 on my 48. Not much difference compared to 8182. Seemed to be a smoother ride but this bus had already been out 8.5 hours when i took it over and i drove it for 8.5 hours instead of 3 hours. Disengaging from the interlock got smoother and smoother as the night when on but still quick and jerky early on. Talked to an operator who drove 8183 a couple days ago and was told by a supervisor to book his bus with diesel for the 4 ways coming on when kneeled for the exact reason posted here. Apparently a new nova Route 7 on the avenue caused some issues with Ctrain operators friday. The heaters and fans came on instantly with this bus compared to yesterday. The only thing i didnt mention yesterday is a slight change with the seat.

All and all, quite satisfied thus far :)

I drove 8185 last night. Not too bad of a bus. Slowwww doors compared to most novas. The door interlock was very stubborn. Sometimes i hit the brake/gas 5 or 6 times with everything closed before it would disengage. The seat had some issues too but other then that, not bad at all.

I have 8191 on my 48.

It does have a curb feeler but it is positioned too high to have any effect what so ever. They are atleast 4 inches in length. Right now, Im a good 2 inches from the curb and the feeler is 2 inches on the sidewalk.

....and the comments of what it looks like ive had.. Haha