New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Enviro 500

3 hours ago, TransitFanKid said:

I saw that at Marine Dr Stn around 10:20-10:30am yesterday. How is it rare???

It “seems” that D40LF’s usually appear during busy hours, and are sent out for a short period of time (2-4 hours) when some of the newer units aren’t all available. But still, 7445 was booked out on a Sunday, when there are no peak hours and “supposedly” enough newer buses should be able to go out for the D40LF’s to stay in the garage. It’s not as extraordinary as seeing a Community Shuttle on a RapidBus route (which will never happen), but it’s not that common. 
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is my reasoning.

1 hour ago, Electric said:

It “seems” that D40LF’s usually appear during busy hours, and are sent out for a short period of time (2-4 hours) when some of the newer units aren’t all available. But still, 7445 was booked out on a Sunday, when there are no peak hours and “supposedly” enough newer buses should be able to go out for the D40LF’s to stay in the garage. It’s not as extraordinary as seeing a Community Shuttle on a RapidBus route (which will never happen), but it’s not that common. 
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is my reasoning.

Thanks for this but why did you say this in the retirement/storage watch thread? Maybe threads such as special sightings would be a better place. Nonetheless, good to know.

6 hours ago, Electric said:

It “seems” that

that's not how bookouts work.

4 hours ago, TrainWatcher2128 said:

Thanks for this but why did you say this in the retirement/storage watch thread? Maybe threads such as special sightings would be a better place. Nonetheless, good to know.

people are in a race to report them as retired, hence the need to ignite baseless rumours.

Back then "71xx parked at OTC//HTC dead tracks" was suffice enough

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

After last tracking on TComm on Dec 30, 7443 showed up on the road yesterday, albeit on a training run.

At least she crawled back onto the road but not for regular service. Despite its 22 nearly 23 years old now. I'm still happy she isn't just sitting around like a collector's item..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remaining D40LFs are gonna be retired when the April sheet comes. This will kill off the remaining: 7409, 7413, 7419, 7438, 7439, and 7443. This is because the CVI will expire and the April sheet is changing the 25 to artics (BTC will send quite alot of 8100s because VTC will get the 44 and make the 25 an artic route). That means that VTC doesnt need their D40LFs anymore. They will only need their LFS HEVs for the 9, 22, 50, 15, N20. (feel free to correct me if I missed any routes)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

(feel free to correct me if I missed any routes)

33 and 80 😀

BTC will send quite alot of 8100s

Shouldn't they be transferring the newer non-RapidBus artics like the 15000s, 16200s, 22001-22005, and 23000s?  I just noticed on the transfer thread that these 8100s are already coming over, but sometimes I don't understand the decisions among this.  A cousin of mine works in transit in Ontario and he says they prioritize bus type when transferring things among depots so they don't have to have parts scattered everywhere.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 1:18 PM, TransitCurling said:

33 and 80 😀

Shouldn't they be transferring the newer non-RapidBus artics like the 15000s, 16200s, 22001-22005, and 23000s?  I just noticed on the transfer thread that these 8100s are already coming over, but sometimes I don't understand the decisions among this.  A cousin of mine works in transit in Ontario and he says they prioritize bus type when transferring things among depots so they don't have to have parts scattered everywhere.

Yes and N15 :)

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:31 AM, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

Remaining D40LFs are gonna be retired when the April sheet comes. This will kill off the remaining: 7409, 7413, 7419, 7438, 7439, and 7443. This is because the CVI will expire and the April sheet is changing the 25 to artics (BTC will send quite alot of 8100s because VTC will get the 44 and make the 25 an artic route). That means that VTC doesnt need their D40LFs anymore. They will only need their LFS HEVs for the 9, 22, 50, 15, N20. (feel free to correct me if I missed any routes)

Is the 25 going to change at the very start of April or later?

• 2 weeks later...