Enviro 500

New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

On 6/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, ThomasW97 said:

7426 back into service

V7426_15.thumb.JPG.e5ab064778a026d1b5a0d3a8686cfc85.JPG

On 6/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, ThomasW97 said:

7445 makes a comeback

V7445_33.thumb.JPG.ca57a41dd08101d62c4d69e18428ebab.JPG

I assume this is an old passenger counter? Noticed it on 7409 today after it and 2 other D40LFs arrived at King Edward Stn at the same time.

20200626_112845.jpg

Also, 7409's transmission is sounding kinda rough.

10 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

7419 Returns back to service on a 025

Wish I could ride that right about now. I've spotted it a few times at VTC so a ride would be cool

Why are these coming back? Is it due to the 9 losing trolleys? They just got shifted to the 41, so why the need for more D40LF's?

7 minutes ago, cleowin said:

Why are these coming back? Is it due to the 9 losing trolleys? They just got shifted to the 41, so why the need for more D40LF's?

I believe the 41 uses between 6 and 8 buses at any given time, while the 9 can apparently use well over 20 during peak hours. Because of this, there aren't enough diesels to cover the route, meaning that a few D40LFs need to be brought back from the dead in order to fill in the gaps.

Now, I'm not completely certain that this is the reason, but it's the best one I've heard so far.

I believe it's not as simple as a swap. 

5 hours ago, Zortan said:

I believe the 41 uses between 6 and 8 buses at any given time, while the 9 can apparently use well over 20 during peak hours. Because of this, there aren't enough diesels to cover the route, meaning that a few D40LFs need to be brought back from the dead in order to fill in the gaps.

This highlights the expendability of diesel buses. Even when considering the frequency of the 41 before the R4 was implemented, some of those buses may have been used to expand services in other areas. (Thus confirming that the 9/41 fleet swap and the start of the R4 are connected events).

Another example is in April 2020 when the 319 expansion forced HTC to give up XN40 and take in HEVs from VTC.

Today is another great example which backs up the need for the D40LF. Due to trolley wire removal near Main, the 3 had to undergo diselization. 

Certain additional trolley routes will inevitably undergo temporary dieselization during construction, and CMBC needs to account for this by switching to diesel when needed.

I don't have the numbers to back this up, but with the global health crisis going on, I may also add that it may have been cheaper to reactivate old units instead of buying new (at least for the short term).

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:31 AM, Express691 said:

Certain additional trolley routes will inevitably undergo temporary dieselization during construction, and CMBC needs to account for this by switching to diesel when needed.

Have you got a source for this? Which routes do you think? I guess the 3 would be the most likely to be affected by construction of Mount Pleasant Station, while the 8 already cuts the corner using Kingsway.

6 hours ago, KenrichYT said:

I think 7438 is done

It's not, don't assume. It's probably just BO.

• Like 2

Bunch of D40LFs in the Ironwood area of Richmond around 1300 ish this afternoon.

Must be road test day for a class of wide-eyed newbies...

Heard the oddly familiar (and nostalgic) sound of a Detroit engine passing by me around 1:00 am tonight along Knight Street in Vancouver...

TransLink doesn't run any of those old beaters anymore, do they? I wonder who owns one now...

I still hear the Cummins engine sometimes... They seem to frequent the 22.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:17 AM, Millennium2002 said:

Heard the oddly familiar (and nostalgic) sound of a Detroit engine passing by me around 1:00 am tonight along Knight Street in Vancouver...

TransLink doesn't run any of those old beaters anymore, do they? I wonder who owns one now...

I still hear the Cummins engine sometimes... They seem to frequent the 22.

I've heard trucks with clear Series 50s. It could've been one passing through Vancouver for whatever reason, however they're pretty rare.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:17 AM, Millennium2002 said:

Could have been an Orion V that was out there for whatever reason. As for New Flyers, IIRC there are still some in the training dept. and 7112 is still being used for PR. I know that 7112 has been out recently so it's possible that was what you heard.

Otherwise, there are a few 95-96 ex-CMBC units owned by 911 Film Cars and Mammoth Studios that are used in the film industry. This possibility might be a stretch but it could also have been the Tofino Bus ex-Community D40LF.

If it was a GM-era (read: two-stroke) Detroit then it could have been any old commercial vehicle or motorhome equipped with one before emissions regulations outlawed such engines.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, buizelbus said:

I've heard trucks with clear Series 50s. It could've been one passing through Vancouver for whatever reason, however they're pretty rare.

I believe the only truck applications of the S50 were in Daimler-Benz/DaimlerChrysler's own products. The Freightliner FL106 is the most common truck application and there was also at least one Western Star model that used it. I know Southridge Building Supplies in Surrey have an FL106 with a Series 50.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:34 PM, dover5949 said:

Spotted an Orion 5 heading NB on Knight at East 49th Ave at 11pm this evening. Unable to get a number.

This was before you heard the S50 on Knight but it backs up my guess that it was an Orion

Not the D40LF exactly, but Urbanized recently reported that there would be

57 aging diesel buses that are slated to be replaced by electric-battery bus models in 2023

which is the number of D40LFRs we have. Can't confirm a source but here's a potential date.

• Like 5

On 10/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, FlyingPig said:

Not the D40LF exactly, but Urbanized recently reported that there would be

which is the number of D40LFRs we have. Can't confirm a source but here's a potential date.

Hope the film industry can save a few. Saying this because I can't predict where the TMS will be by then (hopefully much better than it is today, but one can only hope) but there are several 7100-7200 units living on in the film industry.