2012 Edmonton and Area Spottings

A. Wong

Just got back two weeks ago from a nice little holiday to Edmonton. ETS is a nice transit system, however I've never seen SO MANY NEW FLYERS! 98% of what I saw was D40LF's, with a few D40LFR's and one shuttle, one Orion VII Hybrid, and one D60LF.

Come to Winnipeg, we're just as awesome with NFI. :)

ETS serves some regional service with the 197 going to Spruce Grove, 198 going to Fort Saskatchewan, 199 going to Edmonton-Garrison, the Leduc C-Line to Leduc, and now the 747 going to the EIA.

Please see: http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/ets/fares/regional-fare-information.aspx for more info on regional service.

On terms of ridership, I'm not entirely sure. I'd find the 197 advantageous if it ran from WEM and all day (which I believe there was a time when a bus did that from WEM) but having all day service most likely won't see that much of a significant purpose. I hope to use the 747 however on my next visit and check out the service. A few board members can comment on the use of these services.

ETS also had other regional projects such as the Beaumont trial service.

ETS serves some regional service with the 197 going to Spruce Grove, 198 going to Fort Saskatchewan, 199 going to Edmonton-Garrison, the Leduc C-Line to Leduc, and now the 747 going to the EIA.

Please see: http://www.edmonton....nformation.aspx for more info on regional service.

On terms of ridership, I'm not entirely sure. I'd find the 197 advantageous if it ran from WEM and all day (which I believe there was a time when a bus did that from WEM) but having all day service most likely won't see that much of a significant purpose. I hope to use the 747 however on my next visit and check out the service. A few board members can comment on the use of these services.

ETS also had other regional projects such as the Beaumont trial service.

Beaumont apparently failed miserably. :P

I'll probably use 747 and 590 on my next visit for sure.

March 8th 2011, 590 trip around 4pm. 8-10 people on the bus, 4-5 got off in Leduc, 1 pickup in Leduc, 1 at Nisku, and I got off at EIA. :)

• Board Admin

The 198 has been running for years. I am pretty sure the city of Fort Saskatchewan contributes a big cost to it, and the monthly pass fares between the two cities were not valid on ETS when it first launched. This could be different now.

Who says Beaumont failed miserably?

It was a trial service that wasn't continued.

Near as I recall, it operated a bit longer than planned on account of money remaining. Presumably that could have been as a result of higher than projected ridership, or perhaps just a padded budget.

Who says Beaumont failed miserably?

It was a trial service that wasn't continued.

Near as I recall, it operated a bit longer than planned on account of money remaining. Presumably that could have been as a result of higher than projected ridership, or perhaps just a padded budget.

Didn't someone say on here that it only had 4-5 riders on one trip? Swore I saw it on here...

BTW, welcome back! Haven't seen your posts in awhile

• 4 weeks later...

Lewis Farms was pretty fair when I was there a week ago. I got dropped off at the Kiss'n'ride and waited with about 8 other people for either the 100 or the 4 on a weekday/midday. I think it will have greater purpose in the future but for now it's kind of an annoying transfer point for Lewis Estates/Grange/Breckenridge/etc. for people. I imagine it being dead in the evenings seeing at the 136 goes from WEM to those neighbourhoods where Lewis Farms would just be a stop.

I went to Eaux Claires went it opened. Similar to Lewis Farms, it kinda poses as another annoying transfer point although it did relieve some overcrowding in Northgate and it does get kind of busy at times.

I've been to Leger a few times. Kinda dead for the amount of routes that serve it although I haven't been there during the peak hours.

On this topic, can anyone tell me why Meadowlark still exists as a transit centre?? It's a waste of time for the 1 especially going WEM-bound! Keep the loop for the 116 but just make a stop for the 1 to bypass it!

University was always busy (9am), South Campus wasn't too bad (2pm), WEM was pretty light (1pm), the Downtown LRT was moderately full, Kingsway had alot of people (10am) and Century Park (4pm) was absolutely packed!

This was March 8th, 2011 BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems were the only Ashton's posting in our area threads. :P

If only I could be in Edmonton again. Unlike Calgarys LRT, the Downtown section is alot of fun to watch out through the window, and seeing workers on it building tracks even more fun! Wish I could get pics or a video, maybe someone from here can? :D

Well, come the September sign up route 116 will no longer exist, further reducing Meadowlark's usefulness.

On this topic, can anyone tell me why Meadowlark still exists as a transit centre?? It's a waste of time for the 1 especially going WEM-bound! Keep the loop for the 116 but just make a stop for the 1 to bypass it!

Interesting choice of routes.

The 111 runs with three buses, and base bookout on the 128 is only three buses as well, so that means only six GPS buses will be out at any given time off peak. Of course, the 128 has a lot of trippers during rush hour, so a lot of these smart buses will only see one or two peak hour trips in service.

It would have made far more sense to put smart buses on one or two mainline routes, like the 1 or 4. Or just put all the tech on the artics and run the test on the 8 and 9.

Route 128 and 111 to get GPS tracking:

http://metronews.ca/...arly-next-year/

Really? Very interesting <_<nobody told me these guys moved

Andrew

Bob

Bill

Dan

James

Jamie

Linster

Martin

And Peter, Steve and Kevin are up quite often

Must be something else no?

Ha ! I said one of the 'few' I did not say Ashton was the ONLY person left in Edmonton. Although if he was the ONLY person left in the whole city, I have complete faith in him and I know he could run the whole show by himself. :-D

We are still here and you know full well why we are no longer active here, your attempt at insulting us is beneath you.

Just as an FYI, you and your ilk are one of the main reasons we have set up our own board. Don't bother asking or trying to get in, not happening.

Now don't you have some maps to make and inane questions to ask elsewhere.

Why aren't you guys active here anymore? Would someone politely, without insulting me, explain?