TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Eglinton is a junior division. You move up fast. Don Mills and Kennedy aren't that bad. Sometimes you have too much time on Don Mills. It really depends who is in front of you. IMO Eglinton 34 is the worst line to drive during weekends with million strollers and shopping basket at nearly every stop plus they don't give you enough running time. I can guarantee you that you will short turn at least once on 34.

Thanks for the heads up.

Happy new years everyone! Ive got an interview coming up in a couple of weeks. Im very excited yet very nervous. Can anyone shed some tips or advise on whats in the interview? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

s.t.a.r s.t.a.r and s.t.a.r....you're welcome :) and good luck

Happy new years everyone! Ive got an interview coming up in a couple of weeks. Im very excited yet very nervous. Can anyone shed some tips or advise on whats in the interview? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

You'd be surprised what this thread can provide in terms of information. There's a reason why it's made it up to 97 pages, if I were you I would start reading and you will figure out what "Coach J" is trying to say without you asking what that means. Happy New Year.

You'd be surprised what this thread can provide in terms of information. There's a reason why it's made it up to 97 pages, if I were you I would start reading and you will figure out what "Coach J" is trying to say without you asking what that means. Happy New Year.

Thanks for the replies. Its going to be a long one to get to the whole thing but im sure ill manage to get some bits and pieces from it. Would you happen to remember how many questions there were?

I couldn't have put it better myself, nokia_b0y...

So, I take it you successfully finished your training and are now on the spare board?.

If so, how many hours a week do you work?

Thanx.

Happy New Years, by the way.

Busan Jay.

Yeah spareboard isn't too bad, even if I get to choose a crew unless it's a decent piece I would remain on spareboard hands down! I am too new and too limited with my selections that the hype about choosing a crew isn't even all that great until 1-2 years from now anyways. Each week feels like I put 70 hours into it from the time I get dressed to the time I leave the division, however after breaking everything down into parts my actual driving time (platform) is less than 30 hours per week.

Happy New Years to everyone

Wow, that's not good...

The recruitment has repeatedly said that we are guaranteed 40 hours per week as full-time employees.

If I cannot even get 40 hours per week while on spare board, I might have to consider accepting the correctional officer position from the MCSCS instead. Working with inmates is not as desirable as working with fellow citizens, but I cannot afford this type of financial instability if it truly is the case...

Please tell me that we get paid for 40 hours per week even when we are assigned only 30 hours on spare board.

Nokia boy, I think I might have misunderstood your post on that 70hrs/30hrs part. So how many hours would you get paid for if you put in about 70 hours of your time per week, of which only 30 hours are considered to be actual driving time?

Yes, let me correct this statement before it gets nasty. Let's use this example;

I have to report by 9am and I'm out of the division by 9:30pm

9am is the report time, my work might not start until 9:25am, the paying time starts as of 9:25am (nothing before). So if I live in Bowmanville and I know I need to report by 9am I would have to wake up early enough to shower, eat, dress, drive and still be early enough for report. With that being said I will probably be waking up by 6:45am. On spareboard you are on a split shift most of the time so your first piece of work might finish by 12:30pm and not start until 3:30pm. That gap isn't being paid for but I still need to wait and sit around.

The time when I leave the division to go home I need to consider the driving time as well. My work starts at 6:45am until 10:10pm when I reach home. TTC only pays me for my driving time (platform) hours, 15 min for report time and travel. If I end up driving only 6 hours per day, at the end of the week they will match it to have it reach 40 hours, but I am still putting in 70+ hours per week.

It's not for every one, you will get your 40 hours/week pay but expect to be on the job at least 12+ hours per day.

Yes, let me correct this statement before it gets nasty. Let's use this example;

9am is the report time, my work might not start until 9:25am, the paying time starts as of 9:25am (nothing before). So if I live in Bowmanville and I know I need to report by 9am I would have to wake up early enough to shower, eat, dress, drive and still be early enough for report. With that being said I will probably be waking up by 6:45am. On spareboard you are on a split shift most of the time so your first piece of work might finish by 12:30pm and not start until 3:30pm. That gap isn't being paid for but I still need to wait and sit around.

The time when I leave the division to go home I need to consider the driving time as well. My work starts at 6:45am until 10:10pm when I reach home. TTC only pays me for my driving time (platform) hours, 15 min for report time and travel. If I end up driving only 6 hours per day, at the end of the week they will match it to have it reach 40 hours, but I am still putting in 70+ hours per week.

It's not for every one, you will get your 40 hours/week pay but expect to be on the job at least 12+ hours per day.

Thanks for the quick reply, nokia boy. As long as I get my 40 hours per week guaranteed, I am a happy man. My current job is salary based and it frequently requires me to work long unpaid overtime hours. So I don't mind working 70 hours per week for a paycheque of 40 hrs. Thank you again!

Well, that's how it is in life.

I have never heard of a job that pays you from the moment you shower or leave your house.

And if I worked 70 hours (real work, not just sitting around waiting for the start of my next part-shift) and not get paid for, I would definitely go look for employment elsewhere.

But hey, that's me.

Well, that's how it is in life.

I have never heard of a job that pays you from the moment you shower or leave your house.

And if I worked 70 hours (real work, not just sitting around waiting for the start of my next part-shift) and not get paid for, I would definitely go look for employment elsewhere.

But hey, that's me.

I agree with you, busandjays. My only concern was the fact that we could end up working less than 40 hours per week. I have a family to support, and working only 30 hours per week on wage for a year or two is simply not enough. But nokia boy has just clarified his comment and now I know that we would get paid for at least 40 hours per week regardless of actual work schedule.

I have been making approx. 55 hours a week on Spareboard the previous 2 boards before this one with not putting in overtime. It all depends on your SB spot. Spots at the top are guaranteed regulars or specials which don't pay but everyone is guaranteed 40 hours anyways, go down a bit and you find yourself in the big split/compressed area, alittle more and back into special territory again, followed by late relief and finally baby night and night bus. If you study the SB work daily you will figure it all out in time. Usually I get compressed crews or big splits hence the 52-55 hours a week. You only get the 30 hours for the training portion, after that cash for life......1 year first raise and 2 years full rate. Spareboard is a great way to familiarize yourself with all the routes as well. I can also tell you doing 3 or 4 compressed crews a week without the extra day off is difficult and your body pays the price as they are usually well over 10 hours of platform usually paying in the 12-13 hour range. Spare board sucks when you have a open report with no assigned work and you sit for 4 hours and they send you for a full piece. Technically your day can last 12.5 hours from report to finish time so be prepared for that when you sign SB. Sunday is 12 hour spread. You can luck out after 5 hours of waiting and get sent home with 8 hours pay as well. You only get paid 1/2 the waiting time. I will be taking a pay cut next board as my crew is in the 45 hour range but there is always OT.

I wouldn't include transit time to work as actual work time Nokiaboy. Here is my day today, up at 4:40am shower, shave,etc, cereal report 5:50am on time 6am express to station and in service 6:30am, finished first piece 11am, 3 hour break, back on 2pm finish 5pm, home 5:30pm, days pay=9 hours. From my house to the division is 15-20 mins so ideal for me not being Bowmanville or some place like that but actually still not the closest division to my house. My 2 years is not far off so I will transfer at that time.

Feel free to ask me anything, I had people assist me and would be more than happy to do the same......