TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Happy New Years

So as a new badge, I have been placed on Spareboard (at the bottom). I have been on report where times I would not get detailed and go home after 5 hrs and times where I get detailed after 4 hrs of sitting and run the night bus until 6 AM.

My question is, how long will this process of being in the spareboard last until? I know the new board period just started and wont end until Feburary. I just want some routine and know my start/end times so I can resume my studies. Being on spareboard can be very difficult as you have to find out the work for the next day and start/end times can be terrible.

Thanks.

How long have you been on spare board? Im 4 months in and I'm still on it. I can't complain tho I like working late relief. I've only been sent home 3x and all times on a Sunday. It's the nature of the job, and eventually will get better once you sign a crew.

Let me give you my cons about being on spareboard in my few months experience.

Spareboard goes from position 1 all the way to how ever slots is available and it goes by finishing times, not starting times. So for example say there is 50 spareboard positions available, the top 10 will have early finish times ranging from 12pm-5pm, then as you keep going down the position you will have later finish times and so on until the final portion of the spareboard is baby night and night buses. The thing is although the position ranking goes in order of finish times, it does not go in order of starting time. So someone can report for 5am and finish by 12:30pm, and another person down the list might have a 5am report time but have a 7pm finish time.

Choosing a crew won't be available right away, and if there is something available it will be 6am finish times. You might get lucky but in the meantime as a new operator you are stuck calling every night and finding out what you need to do. Also, there is this thing called ESA (Employment Standards Act) where they can assign you something no earlier than 8 hours after your piece of work, which means you might end up doing a 12 hour split, finish by 3am and then your next day's piece of work might be at 11am. I had to do it already 4 times and trust me I barely get 4 hours of sleep by the time I leave the division, drive home, shower and try to sleep just to wake up and report for a few hours later.

Or you get a 5pm open report, wait inside the division for 4.5 hours and then the clerk assigns you a 5 hour piece of work because the guy who was suppose to do the night bus called in sick. Now you have waited close to 5 hours and you have to go and take over a bus at an intersection that takes you 20 minutes to get there and work until 4am. They will only pay you for HALF your waiting time + your driving time (2.25 hours + 5 hours driving) but they are nice enough to round it up to 8 hours. The worst part is, you could of waited an extra 30 minutes, got sent home and got paid for the EXACT same thing you did driving the bus until 4am... Catch my drift?

Here's my favorite, you work five continuous days and right when you are about to get your 2 days off, your new board period starts and turns out your free days isn't for another 5 more days, so you end up working an entire 10 day shift before getting your 2 days off, ALSO it's happened to me a couple of times.

When you are on report for at least 3 times a week, your paycheque suffers a huge loss, because its a straight 8 hour pay and no extra platform time, travel time, overtime, etc. It's not for every one, right? :D

It is possible to get weekends off, but what's the point if your stuck working late relief on a Friday night. So you get home at 7am just so you can wake up and half your saturday is wasted? No thanks.

Indeed it's not for everbody!

But I take whatever nobody wants and work as many days straight, wait in the hall or in my car, take whatever OT I can get my hands on and all that because I need to feed myself and my family.

I will be honored to work for the TTC and extremely grateful to have employment in these hard worldwide economic times.

Thanx, Nokia.

Yes, they told us in the info session not to do OT in the beginning. But you've been doing it according to your posts or did I get wrong?

Overtime can be acquired either by working a piece of work that pays a over 9 hours and overtime is included in the pay, or you come late from your work and clock in overtime. I meant it's not wise to work your shift and then work an additional 4 hours if proposed.

LOL,

They hold back a weeks pay and you get paid on week #3. So you are essentially getting paid for a weeks worth of work based on 8 hours of work being paid as 6 for 5 days. So you are basically working 3 weeks and getting paid about half a G

You won't see $2,000 even at full rate working 40 hours. You need to be doing massive overtime for that buddy.

http://tinychat.com/module (temp chatroom if anyone has questions)

1924.80 plus OT - taxes and deductions = 2000 net (bi-weekly)

Taxes can't be $780. Not even a 30% tax rate on 1924.80 would give you $780.

Unless you are paying child-support or something.

You'll be looking at about a 30% deduction rate. Don't forget that after 6 months you also lose nearly 10% from your paycheque per week to the pension plan. Also, working that OT is likely to push you to a higher tax bracket for that week's calculations of tax deductions.

1924.80 plus OT - taxes and deductions = 2000 net (bi-weekly)

Taxes can't be $780. Not even a 30% tax rate on 1924.80 would give you $780.

Unless you are paying child-support or something.

They suggest no elective o/t until probation is over... And o/t to get you to $2k although not impossible it's rare. I've got o/t doing a few bus change off's, or a rider causing me to go o/t TTC pays weekly so no sense in talking bi weekly, your looking at about 950-1000 per week gross... Then taxes and union fees.

Does anyone know anything about the TTC pension plan?

When I was doing my documentation, one TTC employee told me that the TTC currently provides the best pension plan in Canada. He explained to me that if I work for 30 years, I would be eligible for an yearly pension payment that is equal to 100% of the average salary for the highest 4 years.

He also said that it is better than the plan that the Toronto Police Service provides to its officers, which is 75% of the average (but the TPS pension is vested only after 25 years of service, as opposed to 30 years).

Can anyone vouch for this? If true, then this would be fantastic!

Another question... So how much would you net each week at the full rate if you are to stick to regular 40 hours?