TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Yeah I can touch the pedals pretty fine. Also does anyone know how long it takes before you stop doing shift-work?

The job will always be shift work, that's the nature of it to my understanding. However, over time as you gain seniority, you will have more choices of types of shifts to work and after a while depending on which division you work out of, you won't necessarily be stuck with the less desirable work like you more likely will be as a newby.

I don't know what you call it but my interviewer kept on calling it shift-work where you get late nigh-early morning shifts and on weekend days.

I guess they mean the same thing, right?

If you work mornings you will do split shifts, which can vary from 15mins to 5hrs. If you work late relief/night bus (night work) there are no splits except for some subway crews and bus/streetcar crews which might have a 15min step back. Rookie operators will be used wherever needed. The possibility to sign work that's more suited to your life, will take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years (possibly longer) depending on your division and mode of operations. Bus divisions always have better seniority.

If you work mornings you will do split shifts, which can vary from 15mins to 5hrs. If you work late relief/night bus (night work) there are no splits except for some subway crews and bus/streetcar crews which might have a 15min step back. Rookie operators will be used wherever needed. The possibility to sign work that's more suited to your life, will take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years (possibly longer) depending on your division and mode of operations. Bus divisions always have better seniority.

Splits are generally 4 hours on 4 off and back on for 4. You will be driving both rush hours so high stress but you learn quickly being thrown in the fire. One advantage is the extra hour pay with a big split especially being at the lowest rate. Late relief is also quite popular as once the rush is over its quieter and usually straight pieces also. Regulars are a short break and back on....lots of terms to learn swings, compressed, etc...at the beginning as it can be a little overload but after awhile its second nature. Everyone always can't wait to get weekends but working weekends is a lot easier. I could get weekends at close to 3 years but I prefer to finish before 2pm and avoid the pm rush.

If you work mornings you will do split shifts, which can vary from 15mins to 5hrs.

not true there are straight crews in the morning as well especially on the weekends.

Everyone always can't wait to get weekends but working weekends is a lot easier. I could get weekends at close to 3 years but I prefer to finish before 2pm and avoid the pm rush.

Actually it depends on which lines you are doing. Weekends give you unreasonable amount of travel time from one end of the line to another. 25, 34, 43B, 54, etc are some of the lines that give you inadequate amount of time. The planners fail to realize that strollers and shopping carts are increasing the loading time at each stop. IMO 43A is one of the best on Saturday.

not true there are straight crews in the morning as well especially on the weekends.

Actually it depends on which lines you are doing. Weekends give you unreasonable amount of travel time from one end of the line to another. 25, 34, 43B, 54, etc are some of the lines that give you inadequate amount of time. The planners fail to realize that strollers and shopping carts are increasing the loading time at each stop. IMO 43A is one of the best on Saturday.

Straight crews in the morning? You sure no step back. If so, I haven't seen any but its been awhile since I have done buses or morning work for that matter.

100% agreement on some weekend runs/lines inadequate time.

Straight crews in the morning? You sure no step back. If so, I haven't seen any but its been awhile since I have done buses or morning work for that matter.

100% agreement on some weekend runs/lines inadequate time.

Straight piece morning crews usually only weekends unless your talking about specials.

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while now and finally got accepted by the moderators. Here is my run-down on my application process:

January 3 2013 - Applied via e-mail

August 19 2013 - Applied via web-site

March 11 2014 - Contacted by HR for TTC Information Session

March 25 2014 - TTC Information Session

May 30 2014 - Contacted for Transit Operator Interview

August 19 2014 - Transit Operator Interview

September 15 2014 - Contacted for Conditional Offer

September 29 2014 - Conditional offer signing

Ocotober 6 2014 - TTC Medical

December 2 2014 - Contacted for TTC Documentation

December 10 2014 - TTC Documentation/Fitting of new uniforms

*Now I'm currently waiting for the call to determine my start date, mode, and division.

Good Luck to the rest of you!

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while now and finally got accepted by the moderators. Here is my run-down on my application process:

*Now I'm currently waiting for the call to determine my start date, mode, and division.

Can you tell me the difference between email and online application?

Good evening everyone.

I have been trolling here for a little and decided to join.

I'm currently waiting for my interview (March 3).

Thank you to everyone who has supplied information regarding this process and the support and encouragement you have shown us candidates.

This info really does help! Thanks. But why is there such a big gap between TTC Medical AND Contacted for TTC Documentation?

Was there at any point where you felt like the TTC "forget about you or were you always in touch with them and did you expect these long wait times?

hi everyone, I have been away from here for a while, was busy with work and learning the routs and other related things, got my 5th month probation interview last week with no problem :) I hope every one are doing well on their application process.

How many interviews do you get in your 9 month prob?

This info really does help! Thanks. But why is there such a big gap between TTC Medical AND Contacted for TTC Documentation?

Was there at any point where you felt like the TTC "forget about you or were you always in touch with them and did you expect these long wait times?

How many interviews do you get in your 9 month prob?

10 months probation. Supposed to be 3 but I only had one ride along and interview at the 10 month point.

You will most likely start off doing night bus. If you are lucky you may get late relief. That really depends on which operator is away on a particular day and how senior are you within your training group.

It all depends on division and mode. I'm going on 3 years on the job and have never done a night bus. Yes some 2-3 am finishes though. Everyone can't wait till get off spareboard when they start but that's all I sign as well. Finish before 1pm today!

Ya if you were bottom 20 at Queensway you couldn't even get night bus if you wanted it. Maybe that'll change with the Islington bus... All the 300 addicts will switch to Islington.. Also you can't touch late relief with a ten foot pole over here even with 70 people under you..

Ya if you were bottom 20 at Queensway you couldn't even get night bus if you wanted it. Maybe that'll change with the Islington bus... All the 300 addicts will switch to Islington.. Also you can't touch late relief with a ten foot pole over here even with 70 people under you..

If you really want a night bus or late relief just take the right SB spot. Unfortunately with the fluctuations from board to board especially now, that right spot will move up/down sometimes also depending on time of year.

As well I hear there is quite a few unhappy ops at Arrow with the 37 moving as compared to Jane or Finch that was one of the best routes and it doesn't seem they are allowing ops to transfer with the route as usually happens. So they will have to wait for openings.... and then bump us down.

311 is a senior night route from what I hear. Me personaly I love night bus routes. When I go to buses, that's what I sign for.

311 very easy night bus did that when I was at arrow. Plenty of run time and breaks at the end. Most you carry is a seated load on a Friday night.