Automated Fare Boxes for Winnipeg

WpgBusDriver

• 3 weeks later...

Installation of the new fareboxes will begin on May 30. The first buses designated for these fareboxes are the 400 series and high floor buses. The expectation is that all buses will be equipped within the next several weeks.

As a result, we will begin dispatching buses with the new fareboxes beginning May 31th

Don't really understand why they are starting with the high floors though.

I heard stories about a difficult geometry fitting the farebox around the flip-up wheelchair ramp on the low floors but I thought that was solved.

Don't really understand why they are starting with the high floors though.

I was sort of wondering the same thing... Any one know at all?

I heard stories about a difficult geometry fitting the farebox around the flip-up wheelchair ramp on the low floors but I thought that was solved.

You would have thought it would have been resolved by now at this point.

I've heard a theory about starting with the high floors that sort of makes sense. Starting with the high floors to get people used to them since these buses are only out for a few hours a day during rush hour. Also people riding during the rush hour tend to be a little more "smarter" and know what's going on. :-) And it gives Transit a chance to test all the other equipment such as loading/unloading the boxes, any repairs or problems that might pop up, etc.

There was problems with the wheelchair ramps, but I think that was solved by removing the heat vent going to the ramp area and moving the stanchion forward.Some buses have these mods done already

........ The key could be generated when the transfer is made and deactivated after 70Min,

BTW, the new transfers will only be good for an hour. EXACTLY an hour!!!!

As they were here. People just need to learn how to use them first.

I do give them props though! Instead of the old ones where everyones kept in line while one guys paying for change, one guy can pay change, and the driver can let everyone else walk by with a buspass while he's selecting his fare and everything. :P