WpgBusDriver

Automated Fare Boxes for Winnipeg

Looks like we might finally be joining the 21st Century!!!

But according to Mr Wardrop, these fare boxes will prevent people from getting a free ride. " Winnipeg Transit director Dave Wardrop said the revamped bus fare collection system will be rolled out at the start of 2013, and will make it more convenient for passengers and help the city get rid of people trying to shortchange them or hitch a free ride."

I wonder how does he figure that will happen? Does he think that all those people that won't pay now are suddenly going to go out and buy a prepaid card? Us drivers are still going to have to deal with the "I don't have any money", "Someone stole my bus pass", "I haven't cashed my cheque yet", and so on and so on. There is still going to have to be a place for coins and what am I the driver going to do when a passenger puts in $1.95?? Now I will know they didn't pay, but I still can't do much about it. And what about transfers? Will the box spit out a transfer when you pay? What about all the people that want a transfer on their way out? People will still show up with expired transfers and expect a free ride.

In theory the boxes are a good idea, but unless Transit starts enforcing the fare and stops telling people they can ride for free anytime they want, we may as well stick to what we have. At least it won't cost anything

New Electronic Fareboxes - Winnipeg Free Press

Don't some automated fare boxes give change? So in theory, the people who don't want to put their 20 in wouldn't have an excuse anymore. As for the people who don't bring money, I'm not sure that the new fare boxes will help. What transit needs is driver shields, to make it a less dangerous task to confront intoxicated/uncooperative riders.

Don't some automated fare boxes give change? So in theory, the people who don't want to put their 20 in wouldn't have an excuse anymore. As for the people who don't bring money, I'm not sure that the new fare boxes will help. What transit needs is driver shields, to make it a less dangerous task to confront intoxicated/uncooperative riders.
I don't recall any other Transit systems that have fareboxes in the buses that are capable of giving out change. At least not in North America that I know of.
But according to Mr Wardrop, these fare boxes will prevent people from getting a free ride. " Winnipeg Transit director Dave Wardrop said the revamped bus fare collection system will be rolled out at the start of 2013, and will make it more convenient for passengers and help the city get rid of people trying to shortchange them or hitch a free ride."

I wonder how does he figure that will happen? Does he think that all those people that won't pay now are suddenly going to go out and buy a prepaid card? Us drivers are still going to have to deal with the "I don't have any money", "Someone stole my bus pass", "I haven't cashed my cheque yet", and so on and so on. There is still going to have to be a place for coins and what am I the driver going to do when a passenger puts in $1.95?? Now I will know they didn't pay, but I still can't do much about it. And what about transfers? Will the box spit out a transfer when you pay? What about all the people that want a transfer on their way out? People will still show up with expired transfers and expect a free ride.

As an Operator from another city, I totally agree. We are still going to have to deal with the ones that will NEVER pay a fare and think it's their right to ride the bus for free and then complain when the bus is running late or the bus doesn't run frequent enough. I could go on and on, but I haven't the time! I gotta get ready for work soon...

Why cant we use the Calgary-style ones? At least they're from the 1970s, can have larger (uncounterfittable) tickets able to be put inside and its MAYBE still in production

Why cant we use the Calgary-style ones? At least they're from the 1970s, can have larger (uncounterfittable) tickets able to be put inside and its MAYBE still in production

AFAIK, they are no longer in production. Many of our old Duncans have been refurbished/rebuilt and some parts are wearing out inside them. Many parts for these old fareboxes are getting harder to find.

AFAIK, they are no longer in production. Many of our old Duncans have been refurbished/rebuilt and some parts are wearing out inside them. Many parts for these old fareboxes are getting harder to find.

The Duncan farebox are no longer in production since the early 80's.

Oh, alright. Any other non-electronic fareboxes around?

Diamond farebox, but it's for smaller vehicle and smaller capacity.

The only farebox that won't read electronic display is GFI Transview: http://www.gfigenfare.com/Products/Transview.html

OC Transpo have one.

I'd rather use that GFI than some electronic crap lol

I'd rather use that GFI than some electronic crap lol

The GFI Odyssey can dispense change cards, good for future fare purchase, for the difference in fare paid. St. Could Metro Bus uses that feature and it seems to work well from my experience.

Personally I wonder how much money upgrading the entire fleet to electronic boxes, which need programing, technical maintenance, and will sooner or later freeze up mid run and not accept/validate fares (hence free rides all around), will really save over having the estimated 1-5% of WT's revenue lost in fare violations.

Transit looking at implementing electronic fare boxes on buses

CJOB News Team reporting

1/31/2012

Winnipeg Transit users tired of scrambling for change or buying tickets will have a new electronic tool at their disposal.

Transit is looking to implement reloadable smart cards that riders can reload by telephone, online and at Transit sales outlets.

Electronic fare boxes that will count deposited change will also make an appearance on city buses.

Transit hopes to have the new technologies in place late this year or early next year.

"late this year or early next year"

Winnipeg is the last bastion of the old Cleveland fareboxes, since Montreal's STM upgraded from theirs a few years ago. In the mid-1980s, around the time the loonie came out, WT tried several models of electronic fareboxes, but none could take the nasty beating that Winnipeg streets can dish out so liberally! Instead, WT modified the old Clevelands, mainly with deeper vaults to hold more coins; that must have lasted them through t he toonie's debut in 1996. I hope MTHA gets at least one.

Winnipeg is the last bastion of the old Cleveland fareboxes, since Montreal's STM upgraded from theirs a few years ago. In the mid-1980s, around the time the loonie came out, WT tried several models of electronic fareboxes, but none could take the nasty beating that Winnipeg streets can dish out so liberally! Instead, WT modified the old Clevelands, mainly with deeper vaults to hold more coins; that must have lasted them through t he toonie's debut in 1996. I hope MTHA gets at least one.

If we're getting brand new fareboxes, they can choose from nearly 500 of them!

"sometime next year":

Wpg Transit Looking at Off-Peak Pricing

CJOB News - April 10, 2012:

http://www.cjob.com/...aspx?ID=1684280

I don't agree with that... I believe this would mean that the bus would be more expensive to travel on during the peak hours which I believe would drive people back to their personal vehicles in the peak hours..

I don't agree with that... I believe this would mean that the bus would be more expensive to travel on during the peak hours which I believe would drive people back to their personal vehicles in the peak hours..

I could also see more fare disputes.

"Why do I have to pay more now when I can pay this amount one minute earlier."

"Why do I have to pay more now when I can pay this amount one mine earlier."

More bus assaults. Imagine a pissed-off rider threatening a driver on a packed Route 32, or on the SWRTC, or the Perimetre. Disaster waiting to happen...

Agreed....

Edmonton Transit had a similar rush hour fare back around 1993... I don't recall the off peak fare, but the peak hour fare if I recall correctly was $1.60. It didn't last long from what I recall....

In my opinion Winnipeg Transit would be better off just raising all fares by whatever amount, instead of trying to have a peak/off peak setup. If express routes were more defined it would probably work to have two fare classes for local and express. I'm not very familiar with most Winni routes, but the problem I can think of is grey areas like the 24, where Polo-Unicity is local, while Polo-downtown is express, you can't really charge express fares on the Polo-Unicity section, but it would make sense to charge on the Polo-downtown section as that is a more premium service than the 11. However EB buses would not be able to differentiate between Polo bound riders and downtown bound riders.

Here in the TCM we have four classes which works pretty well: local off peak, local peak, express off peak, express peak. Express and local routes are very different though, so you get what you pay for.

I heard a rumour they might be paper cards with magnetic strips, not reloadable plastic cards with RFID tags. Winnipeg is leaping into 1990!

I heard a rumour they might be paper cards with magnetic strips, not reloadable plastic cards with RFID tags. Winnipeg is leaping into 1990!

I used them both for a few weeks and I loved the RFID system in London over the Paper in Paris.

Here's hoping it's just a rumour.

The "Oyster Card" in London was my first experience with RFID-based fare media, and I really liked it. I was in Los Angeles this summer and used the "tap card" ("tap" = "transit access pass"), another RFID-based system. Very cool.

I also understand that "Connect" in Calgary, "Passmo" in Tokyo, the "R-Card" in Regina, and "Presto" in Greater Toronto/Greater Hamilton/Ottawa are all RFID cards. I really don't understand why Winnipeg would not chose a modern technology. Another missed opportunity.