SD160s with interior aesys LED displays

I'm interested in keeping track of which SD160s have the new aesys displays installed.

Confirmed:

EDIT: as of July 29, 2011, all series 5, 6, and 7 SD160 cars have been retrofitted

lp6Eal.jpg

Dn6H2l.jpg

d8blLl.jpg

They didn't seem to be setup too well on the train I was on. The only announcements being made were the "The next stop is.." ones like on the series 8s, but with none of the extra messages that play downtown ("You are now leaving the free fare zone..") so I guess (hope) they're still working on it. As well, the displays continually cycle Next Stop/whatever stop is next/24 hour time but with the operator playing the announcements when arriving at stations as opposed to when leaving them (which would work the best with these new displays), it meant the screen was displaying the wrong info most of the time (ie they would change to Next Stop/SUNNYSIDE when arriving at Sunnyside, and then continue to display that until the announcement for SAIT is played). There's also a new EBIS on these trains, I couldn't tell you what functionality changes it has, but it looks different :D

As for the actual signs themselves, they're pretty good and I like that they're so much bigger than the series 8s. Not as bright or clear as the ones on Series 8s, but very nice overall.

I should add it was only working when 2254 was the lead car, once we got to Crowfoot and headed back it was stuck on "Next Stop/CROWFOOT"

1st time seen in action here.....and I drive the things!!

I hope they replace the LCD front signs too, they suck!

I hope they change these trains to match the series 8s. Sideways facing seats, new destination signs, mmm... They're already half way there with the new rooflines, air conditioning, and now these LED displays.

Yeah thats what I meant

Caught 2254 again today and now it's display is acting differently. Playing the next stop announcements correctly, plays the regular announcement when arriving at a station, and then displays "Destination/TheDestination" AND when arriving at a station, an arrow shows up pointing towards the side the doors open on.

As well it now seems to be fully automatic, the driver doesn't have to press any buttons.

I love how these signs can display full station names. 1ST STREET WEST vs 1 St. SW :P

So cool :D

Video:

Ya was driving that train. There are still bugs in the system cause it went weird downtown playing g 8th street at Oneil interlock. No instructions for the operators either took me 20 mins to figure out how to use it/ set it up! Works just like the Series 8 for the most part.

Hopefully the roll out across all SD160s is quick, unlike the roof upgrades.

The SD160s getting the roof upgrades are getting more then that done at the same time, the bodys are sanded down to the metal skin, rust repaired, new windows and a lower skirting retrofit too...a major body overhaul! It takes about 3 months to get one completed.

Changes to the SD160 fleet in the last 4 years have been:

New livery

LED lighting

Air Conditioning

Roof upgrade, lower skirting to match series 7-8 with new paint job

New windows (sealed)

Began running mixed consists in revenue service with DC U2s

Interior destination signs, with automatic station triggering

Whats next, new seating perhaps?

• 1 month later...

It's been a month now and it's still only the 3 cars with the signs. I'm guessing they're not just slow installing them because:

-the rollout of the signs on the initial 3 cars was very fast

-car 2217 had been out of service for over a month while receiving its roofline upgrade; there would have been time to install a sign in it

Based on what B. Lorfing said about (the training officer saying) there's one in each Series, that suggests to me they're testing them in each Series. But, if they're just testing them, why? They don't run the 3 cars together as a consist, and the 3 cars with the signs are often belly cars anyway (has to be a lead car for it to work).

Anyone have more info?

Body Shops to busy with the Series 8's. Since they started arriving ive only seen 1 Series 5,6,7 in the paint booth and i believe when there doing that there doing the signs. Bur I agree the training officer i talked to said it only takes them a day to do it they just haft to pull the old unit out and then run some wires. But we no transit thats wont happen.

Until the fleet is completely retrofitted those cars will stay belly cars. This is according to a training officer i talked to.

That explains it. I've only ever seen the cars as belly cars, the entire time I've known about the signs.