Grand River Transit

Transit 20

then get on a bus and ride around before you have to be some where. don't get on that morning and expect everything to be alright when you have no idea what your doing.

I understand that a "winding" system might be difficult to learn, but I'm pretty sure that is why there are maps and schedules.

It's difficult to learn even with maps and schedules! Just Route 7 alone is enough to make most people give up and either learn by doing or ask (or just not use it at all). And the driver is the most reliable person to ask.

Obviously, even in the most straightforward, well-explained system, you'll have people asking questions that indicate that they're just trying to get someone else to solve their problem. But we're just not in that situation here with our transit system, not with any part of it. So we should try to be helpful to those trying to use it, and do what we all can to make the system easier to use to begin with.

It's difficult to learn even with maps and schedules! Just Route 7 alone is enough to make most people give up and either learn by doing or ask (or just not use it at all). And the driver is the most reliable person to ask.

Obviously, even in the most straightforward, well-explained system, you'll have people asking questions that indicate that they're just trying to get someone else to solve their problem. But we're just not in that situation here with our transit system, not with any part of it. So we should try to be helpful to those trying to use it, and do what we all can to make the system easier to use to begin with.

-sigh-

...so hows the LRT project doing?

Full steam ahead. A Request for Qualifications was recently released, and they appear to be on track to select a consortium and have them start work by summer 2014, which should allow a 2017 opening. Vehicle purchase is being negotiated as part of the Metrolinx order and some utility relocation and burying of hydro corridor wires will be underway next year. All the properties for the King/Victoria transit hub have been purchased and all kinds of studies are underway to build it out, with the transit aspect done by 2017. GRT routes are being realigned in phases, with the third iXpress route introduced next year and some other realignments.

Full steam ahead. A Request for Qualifications was recently released, and they appear to be on track to select a consortium and have them start work by summer 2014, which should allow a 2017 opening. Vehicle purchase is being negotiated as part of the Metrolinx order and some utility relocation and burying of hydro corridor wires will be underway next year. All the properties for the King/Victoria transit hub have been purchased and all kinds of studies are underway to build it out, with the transit aspect done by 2017. GRT routes are being realigned in phases, with the third iXpress route introduced next year and some other realignments.

Have they chosen which one is going to be the third "iXpress" route? Are there any upcoming workshops or information sessions?

Is it just me or is 201 southbound on Sundays frequently running late some cases by up to 10 minutes (and missing transfers at Forest Glen as a result?) I noticed it yesterday mid afternoon, and my daughter ALMOST missed her 12 transfer a couple hours earlier on her way to work. She started leaving half an hour early "just in case" because a couple weeks ago when she was shifted on a Sunday the 201 was 15 minutes late and she ended up being late for work.

Kind sucks when buses are late on a sunday schedule because the frequency is so terrible.

Is it just me or is 201 southbound on Sundays frequently running late some cases by up to 10 minutes (and missing transfers at Forest Glen as a result?) I noticed it yesterday mid afternoon, and my daughter ALMOST missed her 12 transfer a couple hours earlier on her way to work. She started leaving half an hour early "just in case" because a couple weeks ago when she was shifted on a Sunday the 201 was 15 minutes late and she ended up being late for work.

Kind sucks when buses are late on a sunday schedule because the frequency is so terrible.

The 201 interlines with the 29 on Sundays, but I'm unaware of any construction/event that would delay the schedule there as well...

I heard this "rumour" before, and it reared it's head again. (Again, I reiterate, it's ONLY a rumour, but it did come from a white shirt.)

What's with the University of Waterloo saying they "don't" want GRT buses on the property? I can just see the uproar when we stop turning onto the Ring Road, and start dropping "everybody" off at either Seagram & University, or Columbia & Hagey Blvd.! (Will the Rt. 13 continue along Columbia, and turn right on Philip, continuing on as the Rt. 9? Will the Rt. 7's continue along University Ave. dropping off at Seagram, then turning "right" on Westmount, and "Right" again onto Columbia, carrying on from there? Will the Rt. 7's on Columbia turn "left" on Westmount, "Left" again on University? Obviously the iXpress will have to do the same thing, BUT, since Hagey Blvd. is also considered University Property, it will probably have to use Westmount, all the way to Bearinger Road, then continue to Parkside.)

Has the University even thought this out?

I can just imagine the feedback they'll get with the "value added tuition" they pay for the "free GRT pass" they get with their "WatCard".

Heard, again , only the rumour, that the Region is hoping to acquire property from RIM, directly across the tracks from the Davis Center, that would become a "Transit Terminal" serving the LRT, and the University. The buses would all enter in off Phillip Street, into the "Terminal", circle around and exit. (Can you imagine students trying to run across the LRT tracks, with a train approaching, or even sitting at the station, and trying to get their bus?)

What about GO, and all the others? Gone from the Ring Road too?

Go figure.

As someone who used to be in the know at UW, one of the university upper officials is sort of that older generation (the person didn't understand why one would need an equity office as "Canada is such a happy place!") that doesn't like buses clogging everything up.

However, I heard this about 1.5 years ago.

hi 2410 was in a serious crash this morning around 8 am it was at the corner of king and northfield in waterloo when i trash truck hit the side of bus cause some serious damage to the bus the damage is a broken window and some frame damage it will be off the road for awhile.nobody was hurt.

Heard, again , only the rumour, that the Region is hoping to acquire property from RIM, directly across the tracks from the Davis Center, that would become a "Transit Terminal" serving the LRT, and the University. The buses would all enter in off Phillip Street, into the "Terminal", circle around and exit. (Can you imagine students trying to run across the LRT tracks, with a train approaching, or even sitting at the station, and trying to get their bus?)

What about GO, and all the others? Gone from the Ring Road too?

I'm going to get one technical, nit-picky detail out of the way first: Engineering 5 is directly across from the Davis Centre; the RIM buildings are across from the General Services Complex and the Commissary Building.

Anyway, I've heard some conflicting information. The engineering faculty wants to build E7, E8 & E9, all completed by 2019 (or thereabouts), and all three buildings will be on the east side of the tracks, north of existing E5 and E6. I also hear that they'll be about the same size as E5 and E6, and there's no way they can fit three more buildings out there without purchasing (at least) the two south RIM buildings (in my opinion). I don't know how that will work, I don't know what the region is planning, I just know that these buildings will be built at some point.

I know there were some issues raised about the safety of having busses on Ring Rd. (considering the incident during frosh week), but if the university keeps refusing to put in marked crosswalks, I see no better alternative. Better the buses stop at DC than have droves of students jaywalking across Ring Rd., University, Philip & Columbia (the problem is bad enough; there's no need to exacerbate it). I still think they're figuring out what they want to do about bus service on Ring Rd. but will probably just keep the status quo until GRT/RoW plans are finalized.

I guess this means the 201 won't get back to regular routing for quite a while...

Road construction updates and other notes

The university has been advised that the Phillip Street reconstruction project is "significantly behind schedule" and as a result only the north phase, which faces Columbia Street and is currently under construction will be completed and reopened this year (December 21, according to the city's road closures page). At that point, all of Phillip will be open to traffic. The south side of the street, which exits onto University Avenue, will be reconstructed in the spring and summer of 2013.

The reconstruction will see Phillip Street transformed significantly with a single lane in either direction, a continuous turning lane, bicycles lanes, and two pedestrian refuge crossings.

(From this morning's Daily Bulletin)