Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Before "XBF" counter-argues about the 620 being more accessible and having more capacity, thus attracting more customers..

You'd rather have a higher capacity vehicle on a route that provides vital and important connections to regional services. Albeit you almost never see people getting off at Ladner Exchange SB on the 620. By forcing passengers onto the 620 to get to the mall, you increase pass-ups at Bridgeport. 601 has to be the better option; as far as space is concerned.

I think Accessibility doesnt differ here, both routes are difficult to unload wheelchairs - High floor vs. overcrowding.

2 hours ago, jmward said:

Don't forget the extremely obscure number 4 road stop, which the 620 does northbound and all other routes don't! It actually makes the 601 a better deal.

2 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Except the 620 only exists to serve the ferry; in fact in the recent transit network consultation report had this to say about the 52 St stop: "Monitor impacts of stop at 52 St and Highway 17 on 620 ridership and adjust or discontinue stop if its use contributes to overcrowding or pass-ups of ferry bound passengers".  Basically, if people do what you propose and start using the 620 as an express to the malls, then that stop will be eliminated or possibly become pick up only when heading to the ferry, drop off only heading to Bridgeport.  Each route serves a different role in the network, and the 620 is serving a unique role connecting the ferry terminal to the wider network.  Due to this, the 620 needs to be kept independent of other services, both through interlines with other routes and providing local service to destinations en route, in order to give supervisors the needed flexibility to rearrange the schedule when ferries are delayed.  

As for using the 620 vs the 601 to Ladner, those two routes are literally identical between Bridgeport Station and Ladner Exchange, except the 601 then goes further into the actual Ladner townsite, so the 601 would be the superior option (and again, the route actually meant to serve Ladner).

The 620 is much faster compared to the 601 and when the new mall opens up I'm sure lots will rather use the 620 over the 601 to get there just to reduce the travel time. In fact I will be working at one of the stores at that mall once it opens up and and coming from Richmond I will for sure use the 620 going to and from work just to reduce travel time

After some browsing the new sheets, it looks like the 22 is being split at Burrard stn for the June sheet.  The 22 will be Knight loop to Burrard stn and the 2 will be Burrard stn to Dunbar loop.  Lots of big changes coming on this June sheet which is unusual.  The big changes typically only happen on the April and September sheets.

I guess this year is unique with HTC opening in September and all the service reviews that have been done which would make sense why they are changing things in June so that September isn't such a big shock on the system.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason the 480 does artics in the first place is because it delivers RTC artic buses to the 49 under the current setup (to be eliminated when 49 goes VTC). As for the idea that they are actually needed, well, my answer to that would be a resounding no.

Working around Marine & Oak I've been using the 480s at different parts of day to various capacity to link to events/people at UBC. I gotta admit, so far I love the route - but my love comes from totally selfish reasons of being able to lay down flat in the back seats of an air-conditioned XDE60 because I always can. At best I have seen a moderate standing load on the last stretch to Bridgeport and often a near-empty bus on the way towards UBC in the evenings. The statistics in TransLink's bus performance review make it clear - nearly 50% of the 480's service capacity is not used. Part of the reason the 480 is so inefficient is because it's so peak-direction and commuter-oriented. In terms of practical mobility, the weakness shows in the lack of all-day patronage.

In practice the 480 isn't an efficient route in any way and the "express" moniker and purpose is defeated by the cumbersome and longer routing. For anyone trying to take it to connect from Bridgeport and the University, the time-savings are defeated by the need to go through Marpole and Kerrisdale rather than take the shorter route. There's possibly a benefit to this from a connections perspective but given the amount of good service options in Marpole and Kerrisdale already I would argue that this is minimal. Everyone coming up on the Canada Line from Richmond Centre will have a significantly faster trip taking the train across to 49th and 41st and taking another bus from there. Everyone returning will have a faster experience taking the 49 particularly because it skips the eastbound congestion trying to get through Kerrisdale.

An explanation I was given some time ago is that the 480 helps service the buses that terminate at Bridgeport Stn - particularly those coming in from the South of Fraser - and that's pretty fair to me. Canada Line trains get crowded, it makes sense to give people who might've just been napping on the highway bus another chance to nap on a comfortable artic. It's plausible that this generates a considerable amount of demand, fills buses in the peak direction and justifies a considerable extent of 480 service. But when it's the summer and that drops down to 20 min peak service and 30 min off-peak service the useful-ness of the route goes way down, surprise surprise - the buses are hardly well-used at all. 

I gotta admit that maybe part of this is that I live east of the Skybridge - I'm jealous that 480 buses run all day while the 43, despite its more crowded corridor/versatile use, doesn't offer any mid-day service at all. But even though I now work on the 480 and actually benefit from it, I think that it if the choice were between keeping the 480, or eliminating the 480 in favour of additional full-length or short-turn 43/49 runs, I would still favour eliminating the 480. The (new) alternatives would be faster, and commuters might be surprised to see that. A couple weeks ago I did a transfer from the 480 to an approaching 49 at 49th and Granville (mostly because the incoming 49 was an XDE60 while the 480 was running a non-AC bus on a hot day) and was pleased to find the 49 arrived several minutes ahead of the 480 despite the transfer. My only rivet with transferring at 49th & Granville is that the westbound 49 can be unreliable at times with 20 minute gaps between buses - this could be less of a problem if 49 was more frequent, but part of why that's not the case is because we're blowing service hours on the 480.

I think a version of the 480 *can* be retained as a peak-hour only connector coming from Bridgeport and taking 70th/Marine to get the shortest route into the university (as well as potentially providing some new access to residences there) It might make sense to have this operate as an extension of the SoF highway coaches. However, for every other time of day and every other purpose, it's faster, more convenient and more reliable to take the Canada Line and the 49.

(BTW - Some time ago I put up an article on my blog (link below) calling for the removal of the 480 in favour of additional crosstown 43 and 49 service. I gotta say I'm surprised that even after working at a place where I can access the 480 that my opinion hasn't changed)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Opal said:

The following could be a decent change to the service.  If the 480 went non-stop along Marine Drive from Granville to Dunbar Loop, this route would be well used.  It wouldn't really matter if it went over to Bridgeport -- it could go Marine Drive Station to UBC via Marine Drive.  This could be a peak hours only route, and should be peak direction only.  I don't think numbering it 480 would be appropriate either, since it wouldn't go to Richmond at all.  So 80, or something, would work -- AM peak:  80 UBC via Marine Drive, PM peak: 80 Marine Dr Stn via Marine Dr -- one way only, with artics.

Thoughts?

The 480 should continue the way it currently is with artics in both directions throughout the day. This route isnt used only by students but other passengers as well. The route should be extend back to Brighouse Station and run along Garden City servicing the businesses along there as well as the new mall thats opening up along Garden City. 

8 hours ago, Xcelsior Bus Fan said:

From what I head from 2 PTC drivers today there will be the following changes when HTC opens. All 7100's and 7200's that are currently still in service will be transferred out to PTC. The 14000's at PTC will be transferred out to HTC.

That makes no sense whatsoever with 51 new XN40 coming to Metro Vancouver. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

That makes no sense whatsoever with 51 new XN40 coming to Metro Vancouver. 

From what I heard from 2 drivers the 51 XN40 are to be based out of HTC. 7100/7200's from RTC will go to PTC and PTC 1400's will also go to HTC and 45 XD40 will go to RTC to replace the 7100/7200's that RTC sent to PTC. Perhaps HTC will be a full CNG depot rather than PTC

23 hours ago, Xcelsior Bus Fan said:

From what I head from 2 PTC drivers today there will be the following changes when HTC opens. All 7100's and 7200's that are currently still in service will be transferred out to PTC. The 14000's at PTC will be transferred out to HTC.

That makes no sense at all.  The XN40's and XD40's are meant to replace the remaining 7100 and 7200 that are due for retirement. Also, the 51 XN40's coming later this year will be basically delivered directly to HTC ready for service on Sept 5th. HTC will be a mix of CNG and diesel so I would have to assume that there will be Nova's at HTC since the majority of buses needed on HTC routes will be coming from BTC. 

Depending on the numbers, I could see all of NVT Nova's transferred directly to HTC which would probably be the easiest transfer.  I wouldn't doubt it if a few buses are transferred from PTC to HTC.

Anyways, what would be the best thread for HTC transfers specifically?  The HTC thread or the transfer thread.

4 hours ago, Brando737 said:

It looks like the 96 is going to have artic's on the weekends from now on.  Last Sunday, all buses were artic and that's the same for today except for one run.  Yesterday, Saturday, was all artic's.  

Been noticing that lately also. Since I live right on KGB the moment I exit my building there's always an XDE60 or two passing by and this has become commonplace on Sat/Sun. Looks like we're going full tilt on the aircon buses for the summer months!

5 hours ago, Brando737 said:

It looks like the 96 is going to have artic's on the weekends from now on.  Last Sunday, all buses were artic and that's the same for today except for one run.  Yesterday, Saturday, was all artic's.  

That is good to hear. Wonder if the 15012 be transfer to STC.

42 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Still don't see extended schedules and services for 104, 340, 388, 410 according to last service change. Perhaps these could not be fulfilled or were not needed in the first place...

They didn't really change the schedule, they basically added some extra running time and a little bit of extended layover time.  They also added I think 1 extra bus to the 388 and the 340 during the PM rush.  

Where is this random stop you've provided essentially no information about? I've memorized the first 40,000 stops Trasnlink serves but unfortunately haven't gotten to that one yet. And then when you've identified the stop's location how about adding where the other stop is? And then maybe a complete enough information will have been posted that a DISCUSSION, as CPTDB's name suggests, can occur. 

This stop?  WB Ewen FS Howes?  I do agree that this stop and the previous stop are too close, but unfortunately both can be equally busy and well used.  The first one is for the outlet mall basically and stop 52362 is usually a big unload for the 410.  

So while I hated making both stops so close to each other when I did the 410, at least both do serve a purpose and can both be busy.

Screenshot_20160604-144654.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

This stop?  WB Ewen FS Howes?  I do agree that this stop and the previous stop are too close, but unfortunately both can be equally busy and well used.  The first one is for the outlet mall basically and stop 52362 is usually a big unload for the 410.  

So while I hated making both stops so close to each other when I did the 410, at least both do serve a purpose and can both be busy.

Screenshot_20160604-144654.png

Stop spacing throughout the CMBC service area pretty uniformly has the stops too close together....