Damaged or dead vehicles

vicinity

7907 is currently on the 66 with one of the interior light and add holders dangling over top of the middle left seats, ct runs a sloppy operation

Was the driver aware/made aware and was action taken? Was it at risk of falling, potentially becoming a safety issue? Or was it hanging to the point it was safe was the operator advised to carry on and instructed to book with the diesel shop upon returning to the garage?

Being an operator on both bus and lrt, safety is the number 1 priority, system wide. I certainly wouldn't say the entire organization runs a "sloppy operation" due to one incident, on one vehicle, driven by one operator.....

I should be more specific I meant sloppy as in not much attention to detail ie 7976 having a Siemens clamp for a Pole instead of a newflyer half of 7965's tail lights are calgary spec half Winnipeg, or under repair sign over 7954's next stop sign, or blue duct tape and a peice of wood used to hold 2076 together or 8065 missing the back Ed livery for a year now lol I know some of the minor problems are due to over crowded storage and maintaince facilities and the mind set the if it can move people who cares how it looks as long as its safe lol i

It was held in by a screw at the end I told the driver and he told people as they borded not to sit under it

I should be more specific I meant sloppy as in not much attention to detail ie 7976 having a Siemens clamp for a Pole instead of a newflyer half of 7965's tail lights are calgary spec half Winnipeg lol I know some of the minor problems are due to over crowded storage and maintaince facilities and the mind set the if it can move people who cares how it looks as long as its safe lol i

It was held in by a screw at the end I told the driver and he told people as they borded not to sit under it

So then you have to ask yourself it is parts shortage issue? Is it worth parking a bus for 3 weeks while we wait for the proper branded clamp when we have something in house that will work perfectly? This is no different then the newer stop request bells (as seen on novas) been replaced in buses with original bells go BO. Why park a bus when there is an available fix?

With the tail lights, its a matter of standards going forward. If this is the bus i am thinking of, there was significant back end damage that needed to be repaired, including the signal lights. At that point, it is the question of Does it get repaired to winnipeg spec so it "looks the same" or does it get repaired calgary spec knowing that at some point down the road, this bus is going to get a full rebuild and likely switch the headlights to calgary spec anyways, hence saving a buck down the road.

I don't really know where you are hearing about over crowed storage and maintenance facilities....It was a bit tight during the floods but everything is back to normal....Infact, spring gardens is significantly slower compared to the last time i signed up there.

And in that case, it will most likely be dealt with tonight and back on the road. Everyone wins. Operator keeps passenger safe. The route doesn't lose service, getting people home safely as a result. Maintenance does their hocus-pocus tonight and we have a good bus once again for rush hour tomorrow morning...

In the route ahead report it says sg is 92 buses over capacity and vp is 80 over

Buses are being parked outside, certainly not to the numbers indicated in the report, but none the less, in the time i have been at transit, it has never had a negative effect on operations or maintenance. Ya they might take a boost in the morning to start in the cold but they run regular operations no matter where they are parked. This "overcrowding" certainly has no effect on the concerns you have mentioned. Any Bad Order bus is evaluated and repaired in a timely matter, pending parts. This "overcrowding" this report has indicated will not effect the bus in question, or the supplemental buses mentioned in your previous post, in the timeline and quality of the work being done.

As i indicated, most of those "half ass" fixes are a result of lack of parts. Finding a way to fix the problem to a point where it is safe and efficient, despite the lack of the "official' part, and still being able to keep the vehicle in operation.

People complain if the bus isn't 100% in perfect shape and want it taken care off. Then those very same people will complain that the service is horrible because the bus is late due to a change off, or is cancelled, so that the bus with the issue is taken away to be repaired.

Kudos to this operator for taking the time to tell people about the issue while still providing service.

I had no intention of offending anyone by my post I am a fan of ct and what I said I meant jokingly, I just thought that there might be an issue due to over crowding (according to route ahead) as to why some of the buses have duct tape and temp fixes

I had no intention of offending anyone by my post I am a fan of ct and what I said I meant jokingly, I just thought that there might be an issue due to over crowding (according to route ahead) as to why some of the buses have duct tape and temp fixes

Am told that a bus with duct tape repairs is, or was, an AG bus. Several people at SG have told me this and certainly the few times I have had an AG bus it has duct tape.

Am told that a bus with duct tape repairs is, or was, an AG bus. Several people at SG have told me this and certainly the few times I have had an AG bus it has duct tape.

Oh indeed they were anderson buses and any anderson guy wouldn't deny it. Nearly Anderson bus every bus i drove early in my career had tape somewhere for some reason. However, this practice by maintenance staff was halted in Spring 2012. Still quite a few units with tape grandfathered in of course.

Before then, duct and masking tape was common for cosmetic fixes because most cosmetic parts were stored at spring gardens. They went to get parts/had parts delivered 1-2 times a week.

In spring 2012, a relief foreman, from another garage, working at anderson for a week, blew the whistle on this operation. It was at time though when the demand for anderson buses went from 95% to the current 85% so Anderson had no problem adapting to this practice.

There are still several operators that will take matters in their own hands. It is not uncommon to see operators take a bunch of pocket schedules, newspapers, anything they can find to fix rattling panels or interior mirrors. I know quite a few operators that carry duct tape with them too and will use and them book at the end of the night. Whether or not diesel fixes properly is their prerogative

• 2 weeks later...

7701 currently dead on NB Centre St in the left turn lane to get onto Beddington Blvd. Supervisor parked behind and it looks like it had a bit of a spill.

Interesting considering I spotted it in downtown (5th Avenue) at around 5:30 PM today (don't exactly remember the route, but I believe it was Route 2)

7903 was on the hook at spring. No start after a night park.

7701 currently dead on NB Centre St in the left turn lane to get onto Beddington Blvd. Supervisor parked behind and it looks like it had a bit of a spill.

Someone managed to drag 7701 to the 2 stop at bermuda drive. Just getting put on the hook as we speak. Saw the mess....or atleast the end result. Looks like CFD did a great job. Street cleaners also spotted earlier in the night.

7856 also on the hook at spring tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that not damage to the unit in a small way and yes I did

Not really. Its not serious enough that the bus would be changed off, or parked. The operator would just book it when they returned to the garage.