NYCT Nova LFS Order

Pending approval, the MTA will be purchasing 90 EPA 2010-compliant diesel Nova LFS buses. The order is estimated at $40,454,918, and will be used as a testbed for the Nova LFS in new York. Therefore, they will be ordered in three configurations:

• 60 buses will have a standard configuration with an Allison transmission, Thermo King HVAC, sealed beam headlights, and hydraulic engine cooling system.

• 15 buses will use the ZF transmission, Carrier HVAC, sealed beam headlights, and hydraulic engine cooling system.

• 15 buses will uses the Allison transmission, Thermo King HVAC, LED headlights, and electric engine cooling system.

Monday, October 25, 2010 -- MTA Bus Operations Committee

They only spec'd two transmission models and it's to test out what's best for new York like it states in the document.

I'm sure they'll stick with Allison, because the new ZF EcoLife is not that good for some reasons...

• Board Admin
I wonder why they chose all 3 transmission options? Anyways, that was some interesting news!
They only spec'd two transmission models and it's to test out what's best for new York like it states in the document.

Isn't that what demo buses are for? I still don't get the logic behind it.

I have trouble understanding why ETS purchased 3 different types of hybrids, only to end up not ordering any in the future.

Just skyrockets costs.

Isn't that what demo buses are for? I still don't get the logic behind it.

I have trouble understanding why ETS purchased 3 different types of hybrids, only to end up not ordering any in the future.

Just skyrockets costs.

There were rumors on the NYC board about this with 90 each of New Flyer , Orion and Nova buses each for NYC they will be bought and tested the out come of these test should get the next future 4-5 year MTA order

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/sho...2138&page=9

• 2 weeks later...
These buses, unlike the past 852-bus order, should be for straight diesel units...the MTA apparently isn't interested in hybrids anymore.

It is not really worth ordering more of them since this vehicle is an expensive technology with enviromental features and the fuel milelage is only a few miles more than regular buses. So that's why they're not order more of them.

Perhaps if MTA wants to revisit hybrids, they should go with an Allison EP40 parallel hybrid system rather than a BAe HybriDrive series hybrid system. The Allison EP40 is more readily supported by the industry, so parts and maintenance should cost less than the BAe HybriDrive.

Where did you get that info?

check out the NYC transit forum board, more details of this order should be out next week

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/sho...994&page=89

Perhaps if MTA wants to revisit hybrids, they should go with an Allison EP40 parallel hybrid system rather than a BAe HybriDrive series hybrid system. The Allison EP40 is more readily supported by the industry, so parts and maintenance should cost less than the BAe HybriDrive.

from all the NYC talk, rumor has it that the MTA isnt intrested in ordering any more Hybrids