LACMTA Neoplan retirement question

ABQ RIDE

According to the CPTDB Wiki, it says that LACMTA will be retiring their Neoplans built from 1995 to 1997. However, Wikipedia also says that LACMTA will also be retiring their Neoplans built up to 1999.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Speaking of Neoplans, from what I was told, ABQ RIDE will be retiring their Neoplans (built in 1996) in 2011. ABQ RIDE's Neoplans were actually originally intended to go to LACMTA, however, LACMTA didn't accept their delivery, so ABQ RIDE (then known as SunTran) decided to pick them up.

According to the CPTDB Wiki, it says that LACMTA will be retiring their Neoplans built from 1995 to 1997. However, Wikipedia also says that LACMTA will also be retiring their Neoplans built up to 1999.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Speaking of Neoplans, from what I was told, ABQ RIDE will be retiring their Neoplans (built in 1996) in 2011. ABQ RIDE's Neoplans were actually originally intended to go to LACMTA, however, LACMTA didn't accept their delivery, so ABQ RIDE (then known as SunTran) decided to pick them up.

There is no question that the high floor Neoplans will be phased out in L.A. in the not too distant future.

However, I don't think it will be that soon because virtually all have been freshly repainted in the 'LOCAL' orange and gray livery.

In my neck of the woods (West Los Angeles) the high floors are still used extensively on weekends replacing what RTS's were left.

We are getting an influx of the new NABI 45C's in the 'LOCAL' livery as well (see photo below) but they are slow in coming.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

IMG_0464.jpg

They're probably concentrating on getting rid of all remaining RTSs before touching the Neoplans. There are still hundreds of Neoplans in service, so it's going to take a long time to get rid of all of them. Also, the NABI Metro 45C order doesn't seem to be coming in quite as rapidly as expected, so the older buses will probably stay around for a while longer.

My "home routes" in Los Angeles (81, 83, 84, 180, 181) are almost exclusively Neoplan, with occasional NABI 40-LFWs. When I return in January 2010 I'll let everyone know about the Neoplans' status.

San Fernando Valley Divisions 8 and 15 have most of the oldest Neoplans in service (numbered in the 4500s-4700s). They appear to be the most common buses used on local routes in this part of LA even with all the recent deliveries. Division 15 is actually still running a lot of low 4500 series Neoplans alongside the new 45Cs. Division 15 also runs a decent number of 40-LFW, many still in the old paint, with those two bus types. Perhaps more Division 15 Neoplans will go after all of the NABI 40-LFWs have undergone midlife rehabilitation and more 45Cs arrive?

Some buses in middle 4500 and lower 4600 series assigned to Division 8 may be undergoing or have already undergone retirement, as I do not see many of them on the road anymore. They seem to have been replaced (perhaps on a temporary basis) by 4700 series buses, which began appearing here some time last year or the year before from other divisions (I believe 1, 10, or 18). Such a move may have had something to do with policy that requires all divisions have similar average fleet ages and/or efforts to keep the number of bus types per division to a minimum. Division 8 does not normally run 40-LFW buses on local routes (a few are still used on Rapid service) and doesn't seem to be getting any, so it would seem rather unlikely that all Neoplans will be gone from there soon.

Also worthy of note, I saw a 4600 series Neoplan with SFV-15 identification working what I believe was the 2 line in Westwood. I suppose this could be part of an attempt to equalize fleet ages or bunch common bus types. Maybe the 4500 series Neoplans will be retired at 15 and some of the 4600s will remain in service along with the newer Neoplans for awhile at other divisions? It just doesn't seem to me that LACMTA really wants to get rid of all of their Neoplans just yet.

San Fernando Valley Divisions 8 and 15 have most of the oldest Neoplans in service (numbered in the 4500s-4700s). They appear to be the most common buses used on local routes in this part of LA even with all the recent deliveries. Division 15 is actually still running a lot of low 4500 series Neoplans alongside the new 45Cs. Division 15 also runs a decent number of 40-LFW, many still in the old paint, with those two bus types. Perhaps more Division 15 Neoplans will go after all of the NABI 40-LFWs have undergone midlife rehabilitation and more 45Cs arrive?

Some buses in middle 4500 and lower 4600 series assigned to Division 8 may be undergoing or have already undergone retirement, as I do not see many of them on the road anymore. They seem to have been replaced (perhaps on a temporary basis) by 4700 series buses, which began appearing here some time last year or the year before from other divisions (I believe 1, 10, or 18). Such a move may have had something to do with policy that requires all divisions have similar average fleet ages and/or efforts to keep the number of bus types per division to a minimum. Division 8 does not normally run 40-LFW buses on local routes (a few are still used on Rapid service) and doesn't seem to be getting any, so it would seem rather unlikely that all Neoplans will be gone from there soon.

Also worthy of note, I saw a 4600 series Neoplan with SFV-15 identification working what I believe was the 2 line in Westwood. I suppose this could be part of an attempt to equalize fleet ages or bunch common bus types. Maybe the 4500 series Neoplans will be retired at 15 and some of the 4600s will remain in service along with the newer Neoplans for awhile at other divisions? It just doesn't seem to me that LACMTA really wants to get rid of all of their Neoplans just yet.

Take a good look at the Neoplans because I think you're right when you say that they'll be around for a good while yet!

They are one tough looking bus.

Mr. 'L''

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Come to think of it, out here in the SFV, we've never had the chance to ride any New Flyer buses like those. For a long while, it was Neoplan, Neoplan, Neoplan! lol

Are you sure that there not Neoplans, because it seems to me that that is the name etched under the left headlight - but, I could be mistaken - I should stick with the GM line that I know so well!

Mr. 'L'

• Board Admin
Are you sure that there not Neoplans, because it seems to me that that is the name etched under the left headlight - but, I could be mistaken - I should stick with the GM line that I know so well!

Mr. 'L'

100% sure.

Here is a photo of a Neoplan AN440 for comparison. :)

Los_Angeles_Metro_4786-a.jpg

Underneath the floor -- the New Flyer C40 and the CNG Neoplan AN-440 both had underfloor tanks. The Orion V is the only high floor bus with a rooftop CNG tank.

I see where I'm making my error but they sure looked alike to me!

Thanks for straightening me out.

I still say that I should stick to GM and Mack.

Mr. 'L'

Don't CNG-powered RTS buses also have rooftop CNG tanks?

Now how could I forget about those, after living in Brooklyn with Command's RTS CNGs...

Actually, not all RTS CNGs have rooftop tanks. Sun Tran's NovaBus RTS WFD CNGs have underfloor tanks, and there might be others.

And Orion Is.

I think the prototype CNG Orion I for Varsity/Command might have had an underfloor tank when delivered. I remember seeing a photo of it somewhere, but don't quote me on this, I might be wrong :D

Yeah the 4500 series have been around since 1995, I hope they are kept around longer since they run on CNG. Their are a good amount of 4700 series from GC-1 in the SFV that should last till some hybrids come in. I'd be happy if each SFV division got 50 compo's for local service. So far i think each SFV division has about 25 or so compo's with more showing up in service everyday. I've seen one New Flyer C-40LF running out of Div15, for a second I thought more would have been sent out this way.

metro_4541A1.jpg

Actually, not all RTS CNGs have rooftop tanks. Sun Tran's NovaBus RTS WFD CNGs have underfloor tanks, and there might be others.

I think the prototype CNG Orion I for Varsity/Command might have had an underfloor tank when delivered. I remember seeing a photo of it somewhere, but don't quote me on this, I might be wrong :wub:

Some of Cleveland's Nova RTS CNGs WFDs had under-floor tanks, and so did Dallas, but those may have been LNG.

And for your second question?

wo7003.jpg

The brochure is up for sale here.