Montréal bus line names

emdx

In that other thread, I am prompted to ask a question.

The news said the Cote-des-Neiges bus route meaning the 165, but by error wrote 129. As for the of 135, that's a joke and it will probably never see artic service ever!
One thing I never understood about Montréal bus lines is their insane naming.

For example, look at line 135, «De l'Esplanade»:

lign-135.gif

I know that street; I am suprised it has a bus line. So I check on it's route map, and I see a wild zig-zag. Okay, where does it go? Well, all over the place. And it happens to run on Esplanade street for a tiny-meeny-bitty, less than 5% of it's route length!

Why not call it "Louvain/Henri-Bourassa"? There are already 3 lines with Henri-Bourassa in their name (40 Henri-Bourassa-est, 159 Métrobus Henri-Bourassa and the 215 Henri-Bourassa), surely a fourth one would not be too much (especially that the 215 could be called "Henri-Bourassa-ouest")…

Another misnamed line is the "51 Édouard-Montpetit", which only runs for a small section of it's namesake street, and that section is less than 10% of the line's length.

I'm sure there are many more examples, especially in the West-Island (208 "Brunswick" anyone?).

168 Cite du Havre, as I've been maintaining for years, is the worst one

I've always thought that 211 should have a via - Lionel-Groulx and via- Ste-Anne addition to its destination. And other routes that go through Dorval but in both directions such as 202 would be nice to have one that says Ste-Anne or Fairview.

As for it's name, I remember it going through several different name changes before it came to Bord-du-Lac. I'll remember best Baie-D'Urfe though. That's what I still call it.

I don't necessarily want to go around renaming bus lines, but it would be more clear for passengers if they put routes with via in them, such as 36 Centre-Ville via Monk (and 36 Terminus Angrignon via Monk), most people that I've ever talked to don't even know that you can go from downtown TCV all the way to Angrignon on one bus!

I just spent a few minutes looking through some of the routes, and I suppose each one has it's own logic to it. The ones that are named after small streets usually are for areas that these buses serve the most passengers. Like 44 Armand-Bombardier, it seems to serve more people at Galeries-D'Anjou, but it turns around at Armand-Bombardier. I suppose we could analyze all these routes. :)

My route, the 162 seems to be appropriately named, although at one point, I was thinking of calling it 162 Westminster / Monkland Ouest because a significant portion of that route is on Monkland.

Another route with a wonky name is the 46 Casgrain. Like the 135, only a very small portion of the route is actually on Casgrain. Plus, I don't think too many people ride that bus, anyway. If anything, I'd rename it to 46 Bernard or something.

The 15 is another route I'd rename. Since it runs on De Masionneuve when heading westbound, I always thought about renaming it 15 St. Catherine / De Maisonneuve as a result.

A route near me, the 204, is currently called Cardinal. There is always a lot of confusion at the aeroport, since the stops for both directions are right next to eachother. The bus should say "204-O Aeroport/Fairview" and "204-E Aeroport/Dorval/Centre-Ville". Even though the 204 doensn't go downtown, it should be indicated to help people at the aeroport. Plus, there aren't actually a lot of people who live right on Cardinal, for which the route is named, and it's mainly used by people going to either Fairview, Pine Beach station, the aeroport, or Dorval, and among the residential areas of Pointe-Claire.

In general, I think all buses should indicate "E", "O", "S", or "N" for the direction, as well as the final destination on their signs.

69 Gouin needs to be rename for: 69 Gouin/Henri-Bourassa, because it runs on HB from Ahuntsic/Cartierville to Pointe-aux-Trembles/Rivière-des-Prairies via Montreal-Nord. And BTW does 89 Gouin/Perras a need if it only does the same route as 48? The only difference is that a tiny part of this route goes on Gouin.