39 Reroute

Mike

A report on the TTC site says that the TTC will investigate the possibility of rerouting 39 Finch East buses leaving Finch Station so that they leave via Bishop and Kenneth instead of going directly onto Finch. This will avoid the congestion they cause as they leave Finch Station and all the circling around the station that they need to do. There will be a 10 week public consultation period to discuss this proposal. The period should run until January 2007.

A report on the TTC site says that the TTC will investigate the possibility of rerouting 39 Finch East buses leaving Finch Station so that they leave via Bishop and Kenneth instead of going directly onto Finch. This will avoid the congestion they cause as they leave Finch Station and all the circling around the station that they need to do. There will be a 10 week public consultation period to discuss this proposal. The period should run until January 2007.

Eww...bad idea. Perhaps rush hours, sure.

At the position of where the 39 buses pick up passengers, that means they have to go thru a second loop to exit at Bishop. I don't think it would save time. I think it would even delay time (Kenneth to Finch light is very long IIRC).

by rerouting 39 like this, will this eliminate any stops between Kenneth and Finch Stn? I'm not fermilar with the 39 Finch East or any other Malvern route (except for the portion of 85 that 190 covers also, :P).

Eliminates one stop eastbound (Kenneth/Finch). Nothing much, but that one stop can be frequently used at times.

Eliminates one stop eastbound (Kenneth/Finch). Nothing much, but that one stop can be frequently used at times.

Is it possible to relocate that stop to northbound Kenneth @ Finch Farside (when the buses turns onto Kenneth) so that it can be served?

Is it possible to relocate that stop to northbound Kenneth @ Finch Farside (when the buses turns onto Kenneth) so that it can be served?

Mike said the report refers to buses leaving Finch Station, not arriving at the station. Perhaps you mean westbound Finch @ Kenneth farside? Though, that would be a bit of a pain if the bus has to cross several lanes in order to get to the stop right after having made a left turn.

I have little sympathy for people who take the bus one stop out of the station. I'll admit that I have never ridden the 39 before, so it may be an exception, but the majority of the TTC's bus routes leaving subway stations have their first stop way too early, where anybody (including seniors) can easily walk that part of the route. Yes, I'll admit that there are exceptions (ex. Rte. 37 and 50 leaving Islington, and Rte. 30 Lambton out of Kipling), but the majority of the routes stop too early.

For example, I have noticed countless times people:

1) getting off at Sheppard/Fairview entrance from the 85 (which started at Don Mills, not Sheppard-Yonge)

2) getting off at Eglinton/Yonge-Mount Pleasant from any of the eastbound buses from Eglinton Stn.

3) getting off at Dundas from the 49

4) getting off at Belvedere from the 48/73 out of Royal York (and for those of you that frequent the route would know that that is about 100-150 metres away from Royal York Stn.

So if you ask me, that one stop on Kenneth/Finch can be eliminated, I doubt riders are going to abandon the TTC because they have to walk about (what is it) 300 metres to the subway! LOL! My 2 cents.

I have little sympathy for people who take the bus one stop out of the station. I'll admit that I have never ridden the 39 before, so it may be an exception, but the majority of the TTC's bus routes leaving subway stations have their first stop way too early, where anybody (including seniors) can easily walk that part of the route. Yes, I'll admit that there are exceptions (ex. Rte. 37 and 50 leaving Islington, and Rte. 30 Lambton out of Kipling), but the majority of the routes stop too early.

For example, I have noticed countless times people:

1) getting off at Sheppard/Fairview entrance from the 85 (which started at Don Mills, not Sheppard-Yonge)

2) getting off at Eglinton/Yonge-Mount Pleasant from any of the eastbound buses from Eglinton Stn.

3) getting off at Dundas from the 49

4) getting off at Belvedere from the 48/73 out of Royal York (and for those of you that frequent the route would know that that is about 100-150 metres away from Royal York Stn.

So if you ask me, that one stop on Kenneth/Finch can be eliminated, I doubt riders are going to abandon the TTC because they have to walk about (what is it) 300 metres to the subway! LOL! My 2 cents.

You're missing the point that the stop can be used as a pick up as well. Instead of going to the station, just board the bus at the stop. I sometimes used the eastbound stop on Sheppard Ave across from Fairview Mall instead of going down how many flights of stairs to the collectors then go up another flight of stairs to the bus terminal at Don Mills Stn. When I leave the mall I just walk south to Sheppard Ave and cross the street to the bus stop and wait for my bus there. I found it convenient for me to go to the stop instead of the station itself.

Now about the reroute of the 39 Finch East. I'm in favor and against it. In rush hours I can see the 39C and 39E use the North exit at Bishop then East on Bishop to Willowdale or Kenneth then South to Finch to route. All that needs to be done is move the express stop to the west side of the station. The 39A, 39B & 39D can use the south exit at Finch as is done today. By the time the Local branches does this "around the block" detour it'll save little to no time at all. What, it'll shave that minute off? Big F'ing deal. Oh wow a whole minute saved and all that was needed to be done was eliminate the Southwest corner stop at Kenneth and move the Finch East Local stop to an already congested bus bays on the west side of the station. Not a bright move especially for the Kenneth stop which I've seen people board at that stop. Why would they walk that extra distance to the station and go through the collectors which is more or less under Yonge St then go East again on the 39 Bus (Especially those on the South side of Finch). It'll be an inconvenience to them. I'd say use the "around the block detour" for the Express branches but keep the local branches as is and suck it up.

You're missing the point that the stop can be used as a pick up as well. Instead of going to the station, just board the bus at the stop. I sometimes used the eastbound stop on Sheppard Ave across from Fairview Mall instead of going down how many flights of stairs to the collectors then go up another flight of stairs to the bus terminal at Don Mills Stn. When I leave the mall I just walk south to Sheppard Ave and cross the street to the bus stop and wait for my bus there. I found it convenient for me to go to the stop instead of the station itself.

OK I see what you mean, although there are still stops that are too close to the station, even for pick-ups.

Oh wow a whole minute saved and all that was needed to be done was eliminate the Southwest corner stop at Kenneth and move the Finch East Local stop to an already congested bus bays on the west side of the station.

I would think that the TTC would move one of the routes from the west side to the east side if they were to move 39 to the west side, most likely either 53 or 60. I have a feeling that the TTC might flip all the bus stops at Finch Stn anyways since all the ones on the west side are going to use the new Pemberton exit onto Yonge Street when it's completed so it is easier for the northbound buses to be on the east side so that they don't have to loop around the station to get to the exit (currently the case for 42, 125 and 97) and also the fact that their would be more space for the Steeles East and West buses to be seperated into branches on the east side than what it current being done (currently 53E in one bay, 53,A,B in next bay, 60+ in the other bay). There are only 3 bays plus the drop-off area used by 36 and 39 that are capable of being used by buses that will use the new exit and not have to loop around the terminal.

Yeah...what if it starts raining (like today)? I tried that method today, and I got a cold now because of that. I'd seriously rather walk 103 steps downstairs downstairs and up another 30 or so steps up to the terminal, then walking across the street to the Eastbound stop. I get a warmer place to wait for 85, get more exercise, and it's more safe. I'm not against that stop being there, but I suggest having a shelter there. Same as the one in Kenneth and Finch.

Yeah...what if it starts raining (like today)? I tried that method today, and I got a cold now because of that. I'd seriously rather walk 103 steps downstairs downstairs and up another 30 or so steps up to the terminal, then walking across the street to the Eastbound stop. I get a warmer place to wait for 85, get more exercise, and it's more safe. I'm not against that stop being there, but I suggest having a shelter there. Same as the one in Kenneth and Finch.

Well good for you. I haven't said for people to copy what I say or do. It was your choice to do that.