GO to barrie

Shaun

I saw on the news that Go transit service to barrie will start sooner than expected? I saw that they were testing out the track...what kinds of speeds will the train reach on the fixed up stretch of track? Will GO be the only user of the tracks? Does it end at Barrie station?

I saw on the news that Go transit service to barrie will start sooner than expected? I saw that they were testing out the track...what kinds of speeds will the train reach on the fixed up stretch of track? Will GO be the only user of the tracks? Does it end at Barrie station?

Most of the main work is done and they are now running tests on the line

The current plan (as far as I can tell) is for service to begin early next year - about the middle of January.

They wanted it to begin tomorrow, however it was felt that to begin service the same day that CN's new nation-wide dispatching system went into service might be inviting too many headaches.

Dan

The current plan (as far as I can tell) is for service to begin early next year - about the middle of January.

It's been changed to December 17th. The trains will depart from Barrie in the morning at 5:43, 6:15, 6:45, and 7:15, with the departure times from Bradford adjusted by 4 minutes. All other times along the line will remain the same as now.

I still have to wonder though, why was the current location of Barrie South Station chosen? I think it would've been a lot nicer and more practical (from customer's perspective) to have the station near Lakeshore and Tiffin, closer to the downtown, still adequate space for parking and closer to the main transfer point for Barrie Transit (1.5km away as opposed to 7.5km where the station is now). It also appears from Satellite Photos on Google Earth that there is an existing train station still at that location (although it has not seen use for quite some time obviously). Ah well.....distant future extension maybe?

I still have to wonder though, why was the current location of Barrie South Station chosen? I think it would've been a lot nicer and more practical (from customer's perspective) to have the station near Lakeshore and Tiffin, closer to the downtown, still adequate space for parking and closer to the main transfer point for Barrie Transit (1.5km away as opposed to 7.5km where the station is now). It also appears from Satellite Photos on Google Earth that there is an existing train station still at that location (although it has not seen use for quite some time obviously). Ah well.....distant future extension maybe?

The Allandale station (the one I believe you're talking about) is the logical terminus for any Barrie train service, but my gut instinct tells me that the new station (aka Barrie South) was chosen because of the parking potential. The parking lot is supposed to be huge.

Peak hour service at first, but all lines will get all day service... eventually.

Did GO say that? If they did, it would be awesome. Which lines will probably get all day service next? I'm assuming Milton will get it next, followed by Georgetown, then Barrie, then Richmond Hill, and lastly Stouffville. Hopefully, we'll see Milton and Georgetown have all day service in a few years.

Did GO say that? If they did, it would be awesome. Which lines will probably get all day service next? I'm assuming Milton will get it next, followed by Georgetown, then Barrie, then Richmond Hill, and lastly Stouffville. Hopefully, we'll see Milton and Georgetown have all day service in a few years.

You have to read between the lines to get that message, but its there if you know where to look.

My guess would be Milton and Stouffville first. Georgetown ranks low because off-peak service is very poor, and they'll need to improve bus service before trains even get considered - and this comes from a Georgetown Rider. I would love to be surprised though.

Richmond Hill and Bradford probably rank low because they are too close to the Yonge Street corridor, but again, I would love to be surprised.

Thanks for the update Richard. I hadn't seen December 17th in any of the papers/reports I've received. Was that date arrived at recently?

Georgetown will see enhanced mid-day service before any of the others, largely because it will be the first to have the necessary improvements made. Stouffville may be the second - it depends on when the underpass at Hagerman can be completed and when the third track through to Scarborough can be put into service.

As for the others - Newmarket/Barrie I can see as being the next in line, however there is the question of the CPR crossing-at-grade at Davenport. There is to be an overpass built there, but as it is far more constricted there than at Snider I would assume that it would take far longer to plan and build. Any all-day service on Milton is dependent completely on what CPR's demands du jour happen to be, and thus it may be another 10 years before it happens. Richmond Hill could actually be the easiest to implement, however it has the lowest demand.

Dan

Thanks for the update Richard. I hadn't seen December 17th in any of the papers/reports I've received. Was that date arrived at recently?

Georgetown will see enhanced mid-day service before any of the others, largely because it will be the first to have the necessary improvements made. Stouffville may be the second - it depends on when the underpass at Hagerman can be completed and when the third track through to Scarborough can be put into service.

As for the others - Newmarket/Barrie I can see as being the next in line, however there is the question of the CPR crossing-at-grade at Davenport. There is to be an overpass built there, but as it is far more constricted there than at Snider I would assume that it would take far longer to plan and build. Any all-day service on Milton is dependent completely on what CPR's demands du jour happen to be, and thus it may be another 10 years before it happens. Richmond Hill could actually be the easiest to implement, however it has the lowest demand.

Dan

I find it odd that Richmond Hill has the lowest demand, considering it could provide a useful link between richmondhill terminal (langstaff station) and Union, and do the trip in 40 min or so, instead of 2 hours which is how long it takes now. It just makes sense to me.

I find it odd that Richmond Hill has the lowest demand, considering it could provide a useful link between richmondhill terminal (langstaff station) and Union, and do the trip in 40 min or so, instead of 2 hours which is how long it takes now. It just makes sense to me.

How can the trip from Union to Langstaff possibly take two hours?

The subway is scheduled for 29 minutes, and I'm sure that you wouldn't be on VIVA Blue for that long.

Dan

You have to read between the lines to get that message, but its there if you know where to look.

My guess would be Milton and Stouffville first. Georgetown ranks low because off-peak service is very poor, and they'll need to improve bus service before trains even get considered - and this comes from a Georgetown Rider. I would love to be surprised though.

Richmond Hill and Bradford probably rank low because they are too close to the Yonge Street corridor, but again, I would love to be surprised.

I got what you were saying, but I was just wondering if GO had mentioned that :(. How long until we'll see all day service on all lines? I'd hope that within 10 years, all lines will have this service. What's the demand like on the Stouffville line? I would think that Georgetown would get all-day service second, after Milton, because they already have some service to Bramalea during the day. Hopefully GO will get some more funding from the Federal government, so that we can make all day service reality.

In 2006, the Milton line had ridership at 6,049,400 --up 3.2% from 2005. It makes sense to give Milton all day service next, considering it's the 3rd busiest line.

In 2006, the Georgetown line had ridership at 3,821,300--up 6.5% from 2005. I think Georgetown should see all day service after Milton.

The Bradford line had a 24.8% increase of ridership, and I think that Barrie will push those numbers up even more.

BTW, Lakeshore East ridership decreased 0.5%. How'd that happen? (Sorry for going a bit off topic).

How can the trip from Union to Langstaff possibly take two hours?

The subway is scheduled for 29 minutes, and I'm sure that you wouldn't be on VIVA Blue for that long.

Dan

Well during rush hour, in the rain, it could take you 30 min to finch and then 30-40 min on the subway. And is a less direct way to travel.

Yes, last week.

Barrie/Bradford will probably see additional service sooner than Georgetown will since so many of the improvements on the Georgetown line are still stalled in EAs. The first step will be longer trains, as the Barrie storage site will be able to hold ten car trains, and additional service is being planned for within the next five years, including a second track between Bradford and Barrie. Grade separation at the Davenport Diamond is also a capital project. Stouffville trains should all be ten cars by the summer also. Additional improvements on the Lakeshore East and West lines will come when the third track projects are completed, currently planned for 2009, as all rush hour trains will be able to serve Aldershot, and some of the gaps in the rush hour schedules at stations west of Oakville will be filled. Additional Richmond Hill trains may not happen until the Richmond Hill storage facility is built, and that's still a few years away. Milton will not see extra service unless GO builds additional tracks along that corridor, as CP won't allow for more than the current six trains each way per day.

Barrie South Station will have 400 parking spaces.

Barrie/Bradford will probably see additional service sooner than Georgetown will since so many of the improvements on the Georgetown line are still stalled in EAs.

The only improvements that are currently stalled are the ones dedicated to Blue22, such as the grade separation at Weston and the expansion of the corridor up from Union to that point. The corridor expansion project north of Weston is going ahead full-bore and the new tracks are already in service in a lot of areas. The underpass at West Toronto has started, although it will be a couple of years before any improvements are realized from it. And with the current track configuration, hourly service could be run quite easily with two trainsets.

Wherever they happen to implement it though, all-day service will be welcome regardless of where it happens.

Dan

Fresh off the presses:

According to GTTA documents, all day service on the Bradford line will only go to Newmarket, possibly to East Gwillimbury. All day service on the Stouffville line will only go to "Markham". I'm not sure if that means Markham station, or another station in the Town of Markham. It will be up and running by 2009.

Thanks to DavidH for posting the info on his blog.

Correction:

According to a map provided, it looks like it will be Markham Station.