Proterra files for bankruptcy…

jdc319

You guys keep talking about them like they’re actually responsible for the electric part. They only furnish the bodies.

Proterra was an exception, now they’re dead.

BYD will have an uphill battle simply because of geopolitics if nothing else.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

You guys keep talking about them like they’re actually responsible for the electric part. They only furnish the bodies.

BYD will have an uphill battle simply because of geopolitics if nothing else.

Proterra is not dead yet. They are still going to build buses. They are simply doing what Novabus is doing, closing locations and consolidating assets. 

The outlook doesn't look too good for them though, I will say that. Perhaps another company like Tesla can buy them out if it's profitable enough. I can see Tesla going for something like that if Proterra is profitable (which I know they are).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

My daughter had a hard time letting go of Santa Claus too…

I know right 

20 hours ago, HR2012TPA said:

I've been hearing chatter throughout the transit enthusiast community that New Flyer will likely be the sole NA survivor when it comes to the battery electric bus disaster.

That's correct and longest bus manufacturer in NA history 

18 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Either them or Electric Gillig. And then we have BYD 🌚

Smart man 

17 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Good 

• Confused 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Proterra is not dead yet. They are still going to build buses. They are simply doing what Novabus is doing, closing locations and consolidating assets. 

The outlook doesn't look too good for them though, I will say that. Perhaps another company like Tesla can buy them out if it's profitable enough. I can see Tesla going for something like that if Proterra is profitable (which I know they are).

Seems you don't know how Chapter 11s work or you are hoping for some fantasy because you may like the product or company.

Chapter 11s is a status that a company takes on that basically says 'We can't pay our bills, but we need legal protection to pay our bills later on'

Who determines how the bills are paid is a Receiver/Trustee which is a legal representative on behalf of the corporation.  The Corporation can still operate even though the creditors want their money now but the Creditors loose legal rights as the corporation is under protection.

Novabus is not under Chapter 11, this is their decision, however we don't know if they have unpaid debts. When a Corporation files for Chapter 11, its obvious that there are unpaid debts.

How can you determine their outlook? Are you a experienced Receiver/Insolvency Trustee?

Why would Tesla buy Proterra? If Tesla wanted to get into the bus business, they would have already created their own Bus just as they created their own Class 8 Truck.

How do you know if Proterra is profitable? Are you their Accountant?

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Seems you don't know how Chapter 11s work or you are hoping for some fantasy because you may like the product or company.

Chapter 11s is a status that a company takes on that basically says 'We can't pay our bills, but we need legal protection to pay our bills later on'

Who determines how the bills are paid is a Receiver/Trustee which is a legal representative on behalf of the corporation.  The Corporation can still operate even though the creditors want their money now but the Creditors loose legal rights as the corporation is under protection.

Novabus is not under Chapter 11, this is their decision, however we don't know if they have unpaid debts. When a Corporation files for Chapter 11, its obvious that there are unpaid debts.

How can you determine their outlook? Are you a experienced Receiver/Insolvency Trustee?

Why would Tesla buy Proterra? If Tesla wanted to get into the bus business, they would have already created their own Bus just as they created their own Class 8 Truck.

How do you know if Proterra is profitable? Are you their Accountant?

Quite frankly, it seems you don't know your history in the world of startup companies. Tesla's first car was essentially modified, rebadged Lotus Elise back in the late 2000s when the great recession was running rampant. Tesla is already getting their foot in the door of the trucking market, so who's to say they won't do the same with the mass transit market as it offers lots of opportunities (especially since we have so few players right now compared to just 10 years ago, which even then was waning). Tesla can just buy them out and pay their debts off, and steer them in a totally different direction using inhouse resources to improve product quality that Proterra is currently both lacking and falling behind compared to it's peers. Can you predict the future? What do you know of their battle plans? Do you own a stake in either company? Until you can prove this, stand aside. FYI, I hate electric buses, so I couldn't care less either way. I'm looking at this situation from a logical perspective. 

22 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Nah.

Then do yourself a favor and stop spreading misinformation like you have been time and time and fucking time again. There's no place on this site for misinformation.

9 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Can you predict the future? What do you know of their battle plans? Do you own a stake in either company? Until you can prove this, stand aside. FYI, I hate electric buses, so I couldn't care less either way. I'm looking at this situation from a logical perspective. 

I just explained what a Chapter 11 does, so why do you ask these irrelevant questions?

The below quote stands based on your mumble jumbo of an answer

On 8/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, Bus_Medic said:

My daughter had a hard time letting go of Santa Claus too…

1 hour ago, Megabus Rider said:

I just explained what a Chapter 11 does, so why do you ask these irrelevant questions?

That's only the by the book definition, you must be aware of other factors that could come into play. Of course, at this time there's no evidence of another electric automaker buying out/saving Proterra and I never claimed there was, but there's always a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Megabus Rider said:

Your part on this thread is more or less irrelevant.

4 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Quite frankly, it seems you don't know your history in the world of startup companies. Tesla's first car was essentially modified, rebadged Lotus Elise back in the late 2000s when the great recession was running rampant. Tesla is already getting their foot in the door of the trucking market, so who's to say they won't do the same with the mass transit market as it offers lots of opportunities (especially since we have so few players right now compared to just 10 years ago, which even then was waning). Tesla can just buy them out and pay their debts off, and steer them in a totally different direction using inhouse resources to improve product quality that Proterra is currently both lacking and falling behind compared to it's peers. Can you predict the future? What do you know of their battle plans? Do you own a stake in either company? Until you can prove this, stand aside. FYI, I hate electric buses, so I couldn't care less either way. I'm looking at this situation from a logical perspective. 

Then do yourself a favor and stop spreading misinformation like you have been time and time and fucking time again. There's no place on this site for misinformation.

Knowing I live rent free in your head made my day.

Thank you.

🙂

• 2 weeks later...