NFTA-Metro

MT0603

7 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I saw a few 2200's during one of my recent visits that looked like they'd had body work and a paint job done.  

Not sure why they bother... 2241 had just had body work done before they retired it when the 1700's entered service.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From today's Buffalo News:

Section B-3, August 23, 2018 - Buffalonews.com

Extra Canalside Metro Rail station coming down

Construction crews are removing the extra two Metro Rail station shelters at Canalside, as part of the plan to restore car traffic to that portion of Main Street, now that the workers and utility companies have completed their excavation of test pits to identify the location of underground utility connections.

Demolition is already underway on the first surplus station structure, on the east side of Main Street closest to Scott Street, with the top portion coming down first, followed by the concrete foundation. The structure at the north end will remain, but will be refurbished.

– Jonathan D. Epstein

• Like 1

1801-1816 turn up on Frontier routes, while 1817-1824 turn up on Babcock routes, weekends excepted (when most are Frontier buses).

Note:  1801-1816 are CNG while 1817-1824 are clean burning diesel.  Only Frontier has buses that are fueled by CNG.  The diesel buses are kind of plain looking except for the top roofline.  I don't know how long until the 2000-series buses are going to be around for, especially since they're arrived at the 18 year mark.  The last Nova's did hang on for 20 years, but on a greatly reduced number.  Consider this if you're trying to show comparisons between the two models and if you're not in Buffalo often.

==edit==

Babcock:  1, 2, 4, 6, 14, 15, 16, 19, 32, 42, 46, 69, 70, 72, 74, 76

Frontier:  3, 5, 7, 11, 20, 25, 34, 35, 40, 50, 52, 54, 55, 60, 61

Cold Springs:  8, 12, 13, 18, 22, 23, 24, 26, 29, 44, 47, 48, 49, 64, 66, 67, 68, 81

There might be occasional trips on certain routes that may operate from other stations, especially during the school semester.

I could suggest certain points to catch views of the 1800's;

* North Division Street Transfer Hub:  Virtually all buses in the downtown area pass through here.  With Washington closed between Broadway and Eagle, more buses will operate through North Division & Ellicott in both directions.  Also, the Buffalo Transportation Center is nearby, although I don't know if the NFTA Transit Police would be friendly with pictures being taken on the center grounds.

* Broadway & Washington

* Niagara Falls Transit Center (possibly)

Also, if you have a laptop or smartphone and wifi, the http://stp.nfta.com page will give you information on the numbers of the buses heading into downtown, and can plan somewhat it advance if you're looking for a particular number.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

1801-1816 turn up on Frontier routes, while 1817-1824 turn up on Babcock routes, weekends excepted (when most are Frontier buses).

Note:  1801-1816 are CNG while 1817-1824 are clean burning diesel.  Only Frontier has buses that are fueled by CNG.  The diesel buses are kind of plain looking except for the top roofline.  I don't know how long until the 2000-series buses are going to be around for, especially since they're arrived at the 18 year mark.  The last Nova's did hang on for 20 years, but on a greatly reduced number.  Consider this if you're trying to show comparisons between the two models and if you're not in Buffalo often.

==edit==

Babcock:  1, 2, 4, 6, 14, 15, 16, 19, 32, 42, 46, 69, 70, 72, 74, 76

Frontier:  3, 5, 7, 11, 20, 25, 34, 35, 40, 50, 52, 54, 55, 60, 61

Cold Springs:  8, 12, 13, 18, 22, 23, 24, 26, 29, 44, 47, 48, 49, 64, 66, 67, 68, 81

There might be occasional trips on certain routes that may operate from other stations, especially during the school semester.

I could suggest certain points to catch views of the 1800's;

* North Division Street Transfer Hub:  Virtually all buses in the downtown area pass through here.  With Washington closed between Broadway and Eagle, more buses will operate through North Division & Ellicott in both directions.  Also, the Buffalo Transportation Center is nearby, although I don't know if the NFTA Transit Police would be friendly with pictures being taken on the center grounds.

* Broadway & Washington

* Niagara Falls Transit Center (possibly)

Also, if you have a laptop or smartphone and wifi, the http://stp.nfta.com page will give you information on the numbers of the buses heading into downtown, and can plan somewhat it advance if you're looking for a particular number.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I'm only here for the when schools in session, but I'm glad to know now every bus route in the area can now run with Nova's I used to avoid the 19 for that reason. I just don't like riding on Gilligs. I might be taking some pics in the future, hopefully, I can spot on on the 19. 

5 minutes ago, I Alam said:

Thanks, I'm only here for the when schools in session, but I'm glad to know now every bus route in the area can now run with Nova's I used to avoid the 19 for that reason. I just don't like riding on Gilligs. I might be taking some pics in the future, hopefully, I can spot on on the 19. 

Cold Springs occasionally has their 1717-1724 Novas on the 8, 12, and 13 out of University Station.  With the possible exception of the destination sign, they're visually identical to the 1817-1824 series from Babcock.

If not mistaken, they're trying to even out the bus age among all the divisions.

Used to not like them due to the seating, but they're starting to grow on me (except when the buses are running down Delaware on the #11 or #25.  Every. Single.  Pothole.  Is.  Murder.  lol

• Like 1

On Sunday, September 2, the NFTA-Metro system will implement it's schedules for the Fall season.

Much of the changes are minor in nature, with many routes returning to pre-summer season headways.

Changes include, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 32, 34, 40, 47, 55, 64, 66, 67, 68, 72, 76, 101-112, and 204.

Route 206 has been eliminated, and service has been replaced with a shuttle service operated by Niagara Majestic Tours.  The service hasn't released a schedule yet, but it encourages students of the campus to use their online shuttle tracker to see where the bus is located.  This leaves route 204 as the lone Metrolink route.

Note:  Buffalo State College students are still able to participate in the Metro CRAM pass program, allowing students to use Metro's conventional services during their time at Buffalo State College.  Route 20 and 32 still continue to service the campus via the stop on Rockwell Road at Elmwood (#32) and on Elmwood Avenue at Rockwell (#20).

Metro's Niagara Falls Trolley also continues to operate daily until September 30, and then weekends (Fri-Sun) from October 5-October 28.  A day pass can be purchased on the bus for $5.00 or for Free when staying at a participating hotel in the city of Niagara Falls.

Metro's present and new schedules can be accessed at http://metro.nfta.com/Routes/Schedules.aspx,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Cold Springs occasionally has their 1717-1724 Novas on the 8, 12, and 13 out of University Station.  With the possible exception of the destination sign, they're visually identical to the 1817-1824 series from Babcock.

If not mistaken, they're trying to even out the bus age among all the divisions.

Used to not like them due to the seating, but they're starting to grow on me (except when the buses are running down Delaware on the #11 or #25.  Every. Single.  Pothole.  Is.  Murder.  lol

I caught a glimpse of one running on the 19 today. The back sign looked really bold, it looked out of place. 

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Does anyone know whether the 2000 Nova LFS will be retired before, or after the 2002 Gilligs? I'm working on cities to visit in summer 2019, and if Buffalo has any 2000 Novas left, I'd be quite interested in making the trip..

Most of the 2002 Gillig Low Floors are retired, only 14 remain. The 2000 LFS' are all still on the road except for 2021. I would guess more than likely they will still be running next summer.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, I Alam said:

I can confirm I see the 2000's all the time. They seem to run better than the Glligs so I doubt they going anywhere soon.

With the reputation that the 9600-series had, I'm not surprised at all.

With the one bus gone (due to a collission or accident) they seem to hold up really well.  Even the shocks on them seem to rattle a lot less than the earlier (and later) Gilligs.

If you notice too, they're on heavy use lines like the 12, 13, 23, 48 and 44.  Many of those lines are at capacity or approaching through the majority of their trips.

Just now, map.man (Darrin) said:

With the reputation that the 9600-series had, I'm not surprised at all.

With the one bus gone (due to a collission or accident) they seem to hold up really well.  Even the shocks on them seem to rattle a lot less than the earlier (and later) Gilligs.

I find them just as smooth as the new novas which is why I love them so much. 

2 minutes ago, I Alam said:

I find them just as smooth as the new novas which is why I love them so much. 

The shame is that they're running the new Novas on Delaware and Colvin lines right now, where the road is in absolutely deplorable condition (on Delaware between North Street and the end of the S curves. 

Those lines deserve a bus with padded seats, due to the way that they hit those potholes.

However, they hit Delaware with the Nova's and the 2400's frequently.

Just now, map.man (Darrin) said:

The shame is that they're running the new Novas on Delaware and Colvin lines right now, where the road is in absolutely deplorable condition (on Delaware between North Street and the end of the S curves. 

Those buses will hold up. They run under worse conditions in NYC and for the most part those buses are still fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Hope that's not the reason the DOT's left Delaware in that shape for so long. 

It's probably a lack of funding. There's only so may road you can fix at a time.

It might be the reason why new buses run there tho.