BC Transit- Squamish

I couldn't picture that happening... Squamish is not a very big system. But you never know what goes on at head office?

Squamish operated the Whistler Commuter for many years, I can't see why this wouldn't be feasible. It all comes down to funding, though. If BC Transit can justify a project of this nature with funding that might be region-specific, than that is what will happen.

I think this route is resonable because Squamish could also TransLink so it good to see BC Transit trying to making connections sooner rather than later. Also I think that Whistle Commuter should also come back to allow Sea to Sky Transit routes also makes it easily for TransLink to take the whole Southern Coast which I believe is part of their mandate.

I think this route is resonable because Squamish could also TransLink so it good to see BC Transit trying to making connections sooner rather than later. Also I think that Whistle Commuter should also come back to allow Sea to Sky Transit routes also makes it easily for TransLink to take the whole Southern Coast which I believe is part of their mandate.

While it would be nice to have seamless transfers (would be good on the Sunshine Coast too), I shudder to think what would happen on under-utilized routes with their so-called "service optimization."

While it would be nice to have seamless transfers (would be good on the Sunshine Coast too), I shudder to think what would happen on under-utilized routes with their so-called "service optimization."

But, I through the they need to provide service to regional centre under the law too so they could cut the route and maybe people would use since it free transfer to and from any other route.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If this is going to be run by BC Transit... I wonder which company will get the operating contract. There are many of them presently running along the corridor:

• Perimeter
  • Greyhound
  • Pacific Coach Lines
  • Diversified (Squamish Transit)
  • Pacific Western Transportation (Whistler Transit)
  • Squamish Commuter
  • some other minor players

I imagine this post will get merged with the last. But anyway...

I've been trying to think of how to fund this service in a sustainable manner... and it clicked in just now that it might be possible to charge differently depending on the direction.

Assuming the buses are run from Squamish, this is how it could work:

• People heading southbound in the AM as well as people heading northbound in the PM will be charged a lower rate, as we assume these to be residents living in Squamish that are going to and from work. These folks will generally be the most cost-conscious and thus the fare will need to be just right... too high or too low and it would spell the end of the service overall.
  • People heading northbound in the AM as well as people heading southbound in the PM can be charged a higher rate, as we assume these to be tourists from Vancouver with some cash to spare. The service can make do without them but can otherwise benefit greatly through the possible monetization of deadhead runs.
  • There is a possibility that people might take advantage of the fare structure to stay overnight at Squamish. But that might actually work out in the town's favour, as it may generate more business revenue from local shops and hotels.
  • We would need to be careful about how monthly passes work when using this fare structure, as we wouldn't want tourists from Vancouver travelling on the cheap. One way to enforce this would be to say that they are only valid in the AM from Squamish and in the PM to Squamish.
  • At the same time, to create and retain jobs and talent within the town itself, we could optionally grant an exemption for reverse-commuters (those who work in Squamish but reside in Metro Vancouver) if they are able to provide sufficient documentation at the town office. These passes would be specially marked for reverse-commuting.

Thoughts? Questions? Ideas?

Perhaps. But one has to still consider the fact that the Fraser Valley is also much more populated than the Sea to Sky corridor and thus can rely on a larger resident / business / rider base for funding. Squamish, on the other hand, has already balked at supporting the Squamish-Whistler connector on its own after Whistler pulled out... and in this case, I can't imagine TransLink wanting to contribute much when it has many other priorities to take care of.

29 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Perhaps. But one has to still consider the fact that the Fraser Valley is also much more populated than the Sea to Sky corridor and thus can rely on a larger resident / business / rider base for funding. Squamish, on the other hand, has already balked at supporting the Squamish-Whistler connector on its own after Whistler pulled out... and in this case, I can't imagine TransLink wanting to contribute much when it has many other priorities to take care of.

In my opinion. It could have some benifts. Give some more jobs, and at a reasonable price, TransLink could gain some good revenue out of it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Some pretty big changes coming to the transit system up here in Squamish September 4 with routes 1 and 2 getting minor routing changes, a brand new route 9 Quest University and a redesigned route 4 which will be renamed to 4 Garibaldi. Theres also been a number of fleet changes aswell. There is now a brand new 30’ vicinity #4073. Darts 9905, 9053, and 9062 are no longer here aswell as arboc 2314 which was replaced by a brand new arboc #2667. 2673 has also just arrived

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Rd320 said:

A6245318-B0B3-4432-9BEE-28714D236B6F.thumb.jpeg.46593c8d2183e1709d80eef1f32c4354.jpeg

Brand new 35’ vicinity #4465 in Squamish. Im guessing there will be another soon if the plan is to replace Darts 9083 and 9084

Seeing as Victoria has 4456 4457 4461 4462 and 4463, 4464 might be going to Squamish. 

On another note, how are the 3000 series (27.5-ft Vicinitys) doing? They're about half way through their life now right? 

34 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Seeing as Victoria has 4456 4457 4461 4462 and 4463, 4464 might be going to Squamish. 

On another note, how are the 3000 series (27.5-ft Vicinitys) doing? They're about half way through their life now right? 

Thats kind of what im thinking too, i’ll keep my eyes open in the next bit to see if 4464 or another one shows up. As for the 3000 series, i actually haven’t really heard much on how they are doing