Nassau Inter-County Express

septa105R5/seClip9

• 2 weeks later...

After observing the NICE bus tracker for the second weekend in a row, I believe that the #1700's are now assigned to weekday duty only (At least for Sundays, I haven't seen the action for Saturday service. If so, that's a waste since the older NG CNGs are still fairly young buses barely hitting 10 years old). Might next concern is, have the remaining #1600's been retired? It's been almost a month since I last saw one. 

1 hour ago, I Alam said:

There is no general link you have to go to their website, click rider tools, and then click where's my bus. After that, you can check whatever route you want.

Here's the one for the n6

https://www.nicebus.com/Tools/Maps-and-Schedules/Line?test=&route=n6

Yeah, I know what you mean. When do you think that NICE will get more XN60s?

1 hour ago, I Alam said:

Do they even have the money to buy new buses?

Most likely, but there isn't a huge need for new replacement CNGs right now. At last check, there was only a handful of 2004 Orion V CNGs left in service (they could very well have all been retired now). Anything NICE gets between now and 2021 would likely be for fleet expansion for new replacement buses won't been needed in mass until 2022 or so. The 2008-2011 Orion VII NG CNGs (#1700-1839) will likely be retired between 2022-2025.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Nice's orion 5 cngs are done all the previously active units have been auctioned off

How sad indeed, just as I was beginning to think that those last few #1600's were going to outlast the remaining #7800's and last 50 or so RTS's. Any idea if NICE got rid of the other Orion V CNGs at RVC depot too?

21 hours ago, Chris.A said:

How sad indeed, just as I was beginning to think that those last few #1600's were going to outlast the remaining #7800's and last 50 or so RTS's. Any idea if NICE got rid of the other Orion V CNGs at RVC depot too?

5 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Any source?

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/nassau-county-mta-ny-16306-16306

I'm not keeping track of every single bus auctioned but this should be most of them. IIRC the last 4 really active ones 1677, 1668, 1693, 1699 are all on here.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, Orion6025 said:

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/nassau-county-mta-ny-16306-16306

I'm not keeping track of every single bus auctioned but this should be most of them. IIRC the last 4 really active ones 1677, 1668, 1693, 1699 are all on here.Al

Seems we have a first pics of RVC depot post 2017 NICE bus cuts! there are a ton of Orion 5's left there. Also shocked to see a few ex-Foothill transit units around.  

3 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

IIRC they held on to them since they were mechanically OK and if needed, tanks from the retired 2004s could be fitted on top to press them back in service.

So I'm guessing they are going to scrap the remaining Orion Vs over at RVC?

8 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

They've received federal funds in the past for bus purchases. 

It's like I said before, any new buses NICE gets between now and 2022 will likely be for fleet growth, not replacement cycle.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Chris.A said:

So I'm guessing they are going to scrap the remaining Orion Vs over at RVC?

On 4/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, RailBus63 said:

Yeah it looks like rhat. I'm just hoping the increased funding has given them a chance to pull their s#!t together to make sure the orions and flyers are reliable enough to not break down en masse and cause a shortage.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Chris.A said:

will likely be for fleet growth, not replacement cycle.

And jeez I hope they consider fleet growth... the n4 and n22 need some artic runs (i can't speak for the n24, never rode it) and it wouldn't hurt to throw another one or two onto the n6, as well as having a few more spares on hand.

IIRC those first 5 XN60s were funded by transdev, right? so perhaps they could be nice enough to pony up some more $ to help out Nice more in 2019-2020?

11 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Yeah it looks like rhat. I'm just hoping the increased funding has given them a chance to pull their s#!t together to make sure the orions and flyers are reliable enough to not break down en masse and cause a shortage.

And jeez I hope they consider fleet growth... the n4 and n22 need some artic runs (i can't speak for the n24, never rode it) and it wouldn't hurt to throw another one or two onto the n6, as well as having a few more spares on hand.

IIRC those first 5 XN60s were funded by transdev, right? so perhaps they could be nice enough to pony up some more $ to help out Nice more in 2019-2020?

In terms of the Orion 5 CNGs, I felt that NICE didn't have a choice but to scrap them because they were approaching 15 years of age (some already turned 15) and are thus in the same boat as NYCTA's last remaining Orion 7 OG CNGs (which are already about 14-15 years old). As for the XN60s (or any future major bus order for that matter), eventually they're going to have to either reopen RVC depot or build a new garage elsewhere (perhaps even both), cause they can't really do too much expanding with just MF depot.

• Like 1