Jump to content

Nassau Inter-County Express


septa105R5/seClip9
 Share

Recommended Posts

I wonder what will replace the last remaining 2004 Orion V CNGs? Anyone think they'll be replaced by:

A XN40s

B XN60s

C nothing, NICE will just make a few scheduling adjustments to eliminate these buses.

2019 will likely be their final year in-service after 30 years of working for MSBA/MTA Long Island bus/NICE bus.  In the coming years, I suspect that the 1700 series NGs will be phased out by a mixed bag of XN40s and XN60s. NICE will probably either use up their remaining options for their current 110 bus order (btw, were the current XN60s part of that or a separate order?) or they will allow this to expire and draft up a new RFP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

I wonder what will replace the last remaining 2004 Orion V CNGs? Anyone think they'll be replaced by:

A XN40s

B XN60s

C nothing, NICE will just make a few scheduling adjustments to eliminate these buses.

2019 will likely be their final year in-service after 30 years of working for MSBA/MTA Long Island bus/NICE bus.  In the coming years, I suspect that the 1700 series NGs will be phased out by a mixed back of XN40s and XN60s. NICE will probably either use up their remaining options for their current 110 bus order (btw, were the current XN60s part of that or a separate order?) or they will allow this to expire and draft up a new RFP.

I was thinking that since they don't have anything on the books(?) it's too late for a new bus order so transdev may transfer some goodies over to them, like they did a few years ago with the old Foothill Orions. Then again, IDK for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

I was thinking that since they don't have anything on the books(?) it's too late for a new bus order so transdev may transfer some goodies over to them, like they did a few years ago with the old Foothill Orions. Then again, IDK for sure

The problem with that is that Foothill retired all their Orion V CNGs last year IIRC and no one else really have these buses anymore except for a few Non-Transdev systems. I was thinking that it would be possible for the MTA to sell them some of their 2003-2004 Orion VII OG CNGs seeing that they are also getting new Xcelsiors to replace them, and that these buses would have fit well in the fleet seeing that NICE is 65-70% Orion VII anyway, but this was pre-2017 NICE bus cuts and since then, most of the 2004 Orion Vs were retired due to that and the closure of the RVC depot (and the XN60s). I think they'll just make a new order in the future and cancel whatever's left off of this contract seeing that it is not very feasible right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They also plan on getting new OTR coaches in the near future to use on 4 new Manhattan-bound lines (similar to Bee Line's BXM4C and MTA's express lines). That might require an entirely new depot to support an entire sperate fleet based on NICE's "Let's Go!" campaign to bring back riders.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chris.A said:

The problem with that is that Foothill retired all their Orion V CNGs last year IIRC

Foothill is due to get some El Dorados shortly so perhaps some NABIs could move across the country. Not exactly feasible from a parts perspective, but anything's possible if you need to retire buses with expiring tanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Foothill is due to get some El Dorados shortly so perhaps some NABIs could move across the country. Not exactly feasible from a parts perspective, but anything's possible if you need to retire buses with expiring tanks

As cool as that would be to get those CNG 40LFWs (don't normal like those buses, but FT's 2004 batch are a beast), I don't see them doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, Orion6025 said:

Foothill is due to get some El Dorados shortly so perhaps some NABIs could move across the country. Not exactly feasible from a parts perspective, but anything's possible if you need to retire buses with expiring tanks

What's the current status of RVC? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Was the depot totally abandoned? No NICE or MTA personnel? 

I don't think it's abandoned (yet... lol). But it certainly is largely deserted. On the few times I passed by I saw a car or two parked outside the office entrance so I assume there's someone in there at least semi regularly. Though the small open bus lot area is always empty when i show up, every now and then someone will drive by and there will be orions layed up between the garage and the LIRR so NICE drivers and mechanics probably do show up every now and then to check on the condition of the buses.

FWIW I tried looking through the tiny windows in the garage door but those are too dirty to see anything inside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

I don't think it's abandoned (yet... lol). But it certainly is largely deserted. On the few times I passed by I saw a car or two parked outside the office entrance so I assume there's someone in there at least semi regularly. Though the small open bus lot area is always empty when i show up, every now and then someone will drive by and there will be orions layed up between the garage and the LIRR so NICE drivers and mechanics probably do show up every now and then to check on the condition of the buses.

FWIW I tried looking through the tiny windows in the garage door but those are too dirty to see anything inside.

It won't surprise me if NICE bus reopens RVC depot at some point in the near future. It certainly sounds like they are still using it to an extent to storage near EOL CNGs. Perhaps when the whole "Let's Go" plan is launched, it will be reopened. What's the closet bus route to RVC? I might go check it out soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

It won't surprise me if NICE bus reopens RVC depot at some point in the near future. It certainly sounds like they are still using it to an extent to storage near EOL CNGs. Perhaps when the whole "Let's Go" plan is launched, it will be reopened. What's the closet bus route to RVC? I might go check it out soon.

Yeah, I anticipate RVC being reopened someday. They'll need the space if Let's Go ever gets launched. If not RVC (because of the luxury condos going up in the area), then somewhere else.

as for nearby bus routes the n15 and n16 area nearest (a block or two east iirc). Thr n4 is nearby also (you need to walk a few blocks north)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Yeah, I anticipate RVC being reopened someday. They'll need the space if Let's Go ever gets launched. If not RVC (because of the luxury condos going up in the area), then somewhere else.

as for nearby bus routes the n15 and n16 area nearest (a block or two east iirc). Thr n4 is nearby also (you need to walk a few blocks north)

The n4 it is then. I was planning to fan that line in the near future anyway. Do you remember reading the part about NICE building a Light rail trainline as well? If so, I hope they connect it to a NYCTA subway line, like the E, M, or J trains. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, Chris.A said:

The n4 it is then. I was planning to fan that line in the near future anyway. Do you remember reading the part about NICE building a Light rail trainline as well? If so, I hope they connect it to a NYCTA subway line, like the E, M, or J trains. 

Never heard of it, then again i don't follow nassau county news closely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Orion6025 said:

Yeah, I anticipate RVC being reopened someday. They'll need the space if Let's Go ever gets launched. If not RVC (because of the luxury condos going up in the area), then somewhere else.

as for nearby bus routes the n15 and n16 area nearest (a block or two east iirc). Thr n4 is nearby also (you need to walk a few blocks north)

Anyone think that NICE bus company will jump on the all-electric bus bandwagon? I honestly hope they stay CNG till around 2030 at least. They have only recently became all CNG (back in 2004 under MTA Long Island bus).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Anyone think that NICE bus company will jump on the all-electric bus bandwagon? I honestly hope they stay CNG till around 2030 at least. They have only recently became all CNG (back in 2004 under MTA Long Island bus).

With all the money the feds have been throwing towards electric buses it's inevitable but for whatever reason they either haven't applied for a grant or haven't recieved one? Or maybe they just want to stabilize themselves after the nutty past few years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

With all the money the feds have been throwing towards electric buses it's inevitable but for whatever reason they either haven't applied for a grant or haven't recieved one? Or maybe they just want to stabilize themselves after the nutty past few years

Yeah, and those who already transitioned to CNG are both less likely to be interested in electric buses, and less likely to qualify for those particular grants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

With all the money the feds have been throwing towards electric buses it's inevitable but for whatever reason they either haven't applied for a grant or haven't recieved one? Or maybe they just want to stabilize themselves after the nutty past few years

lol and how nutty it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, MAX BRT said:

Yeah, and those who already transitioned to CNG are both less likely to be interested in electric buses, and less likely to qualify for those particular grants.

I heard a few years ago back when NICE was about to replace MTA LIBus. that Transdev was testing an Orion VII NG or 3G hybrid around MF depot routes, but the MTA had asked them to delay that until after the transition was complete. Whatever happened to that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...