TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Lol I've been driving constantly professionally for over a decade I dont need years for anything. Accepting a bus driver job was the door in but always will be just a stepping stone to something else. Maybe next year maybe in 5 years but my lifes goal isn't to take crap behind the wheel of a bus for 30 years.

And I'm not in a frenzy I'm the calmest most resilient person around but you can't just ignore fights, customers screaming racist remarks to other customers and threats (all of which I've had happen this month alone). And although I'm more than capable of handling such situations, doesn't mean I enjoy it.

If you wana continue whistling and enjoy your rainbow and cartoon birds singing kinda job for 30 years im happy for you but not me. The idea of staring down dark tunnels in my private booth sounds way more appealing to me. (obviously there's more to it than that). My idea for a career not sitting well with you is kind of bizarre though.

I have to agree, from day one in streetcar I knew I wanted out of there. I put in my request for transfer the day my two years came up. I don't miss the drunks, fare evaders, bums, and crazies one bit.

I'm very thankful for the job I've got, because I look at it as a career and hopefully a stepping stone to other things within the Commission, just like Messiah says.

And I was secretively hoping they were gonna call me with subway mode too even though they told us back in the info session subway was not an option.

I'd rather deal with dark tunnels in my little cubicle too.

And oh yes, those situations Messiah talks about happen all the time. Last night I had one of them just as he describes it.

It's not all rosie out there.

I'm very thankful for the job I've got, because I look at it as a career and hopefully a stepping stone to other things within the Commission, just like Messiah says.

And I was secretively hoping they were gonna call me with subway mode too even though they told us back in the info session subway was not an option.

I'd rather deal with dark tunnels in my little cubicle too.

And oh yes, those situations Messiah talks about happen all the time. Last night I had one of them just as he describes it.

It's not all rosie out there.

hmm subway or bus or streetcar? I am thinking again lolz. I was more into bus because I like to interact with people. I know there are many who will scream and complain but there are more who says thank you. ( Like i never get off the bus without saying thank you if using front door.:D) But I am more scared of subway because I will fall asleep lolz. Looking into dark tunnel and no body to talk ! damn I would be sleeping after 15 minute . :mellow:

Must be a malvern thing then. We don't get people like that only non paying people.

Must be a malvern thing then. We don't get people like that only non paying people.

Lol if you expect me to believe you don't have insane people in Scarborough that ain't happening. It's possible you've been lucky but you'll have people like that. Its just a matter of time. Those people are everywhere.

So how do train shifts work anyways Flyer? Just curious.

Shifts are the same as Buses, just no night shifts, and above average working hours, as in higher pay cause you work a bit longer than the average bus hours. Buses are in the 8-9 hour a day range, where subways is 9-10 hours a day range plus guaranteed late-in. Even though there are 7-8 hour pay range in subways, they always end up working out to 10-13 range cause of the Late-ins, intervals, etc. You still get up to 11 hour shifts in buses but you need seniority, to sign that, or through Vacation board, and spare board, and get lucky.

Moving up in subways is harder than buses, especially if you want weekends off, and days. Which for me I don't need.

Sheppard is the only line where you finish on time.

Lol if you expect me to believe you don't have insane people in Scarborough that ain't happening. It's possible you've been lucky but you'll have people like that. Its just a matter of time. Those people are everywhere.

Queensway routes are amazing compared to other divisions. If people complaining/problems there just imagine elsewhere!

Queensway routes are amazing compared to other divisions. If people complaining/problems there just imagine elsewhere!

I agree but there's still our share of complete nutjobs. I could take half a dozen people that I regularly pickup and have an article in the paper that makes the current green leprechaun in the news currently look like a care bear.

Shifts are the same as Buses, just no night shifts, and above average working hours, as in higher pay cause you work a bit longer than the average bus hours. Buses are in the 8-9 hour a day range, where subways is 9-10 hours a day range plus guaranteed late-in. Even though there are 7-8 hour pay range in subways, they always end up working out to 10-13 range cause of the Late-ins, intervals, etc. You still get up to 11 hour shifts in buses but you need seniority, to sign that, or through Vacation board, and spare board, and get lucky.

Moving up in subways is harder than buses, especially if you want weekends off, and days. Which for me I don't need.

Sheppard is the only line where you finish on time.

What are late ins/intervals? Thanks for.the information, it's much appreciated.

Hi guys, I know I am not anywhere close to being where most of you guys are in this process but I'm just curious. Once you are trained on a specific mode and you transfer to a different one and stay for a decent period of time say 5 years, would you have to get retrained on the original mode you came from if you wanted to transfer back? Or is it that once you are trained on a mode, you can go back to that mode whenever you want without being retrained on it? Also, are there minimum amounts of time that you must remain at a division once you transfer there? Or, can you transfer whenever you want (providing there is an opening at the division you are transfering to). Sorry for the long winded question lol, I've just always been curious about this.

Hi guys, I know I am not anywhere close to being where most of you guys are in this process but I'm just curious. Once you are trained on a specific mode and you transfer to a different one and stay for a decent period of time say 5 years, would you have to get retrained on the original mode you came from if you wanted to transfer back? Or is it that once you are trained on a mode, you can go back to that mode whenever you want without being retrained on it? Also, are there minimum amounts of time that you must remain at a division once you transfer there? Or, can you transfer whenever you want (providing there is an opening at the division you are transfering to). Sorry for the long winded question lol, I've just always been curious about this.

There are many dual mode operators. In each you have to complete a re-cert every few years. At the beginning your locked in 2 years to your division but there's ways around that as well with new contract your allowed now one transfer before. If you returned from one mode to another you would simply have to complete any training for different equipment as some divisions have different buses etc....but that's usually just 4 hours. With transfers you also get 8 hours of route familiarization at your new div.

There are many dual mode operators. In each you have to complete a re-cert every few years. At the beginning your locked in 2 years to your division but there's ways around that as well with new contract your allowed now one transfer before. If you returned from one mode to another you would simply have to complete any training for different equipment as some divisions have different buses etc....but that's usually just 4 hours. With transfers you also get 8 hours of route familiarization at your new div.

Ohhhh I see, thanks for the info andyman.

Medicals only mean something if you finish your steps around the same time. You'll see during training people who did medical before you, behind you and vice versa.

Goes back to that holding pool A and holding pool B thing. Your name goes in holding pool B when you've passed medical, criminal check and reference step. Thought they should have jumped ifor ahead in the pool due to how long he had to wait but looks like he just got put in the que with everyone else. There's instances where a person with medical a month before another started a month after.... Probably same reason........... Fingerprints!