TTC Application Process

ericgu22

20 hours ago, Transitman83 said:

Mine was January 4th. Hopefully not too much longer for me then. Good luck with your training ??

Yes I'm sure they will be calling you soon too then! Thank you and good luck to you as well!

Hi everyone, after a couple hours of reviewing this AWESOME forum, I couldn't find a post about the answers for job shadow assignment. I have a interview next week, so I hope that someone can help me with answering. I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear your ideas.

There is the assignment;

1. yonge blue night bus (320)
  2. queen blue night street car (301). But now, because of construction, they running the bus through all route, instead of streetcar. So I'm wondering, what they prefer; to stay on the route or take another blue night streetcar? I did the route with bus.
  3. 1 downtown streetcar (NOT queen streetcar) during the rush hours. 
  4. one route west of yonge
  5. one route east of yonge.

Can someone give me some suggestions how is best to answer the questions related to each route;

1. What types of customer interactions took place on this route between the operator and customers? What are your main observations in regards to customer expectations?
  2. please describe how the operator multitasks. Identify some of the tasks performed and indicate how he managed those tasks at the time.

There's also a summary questions;

1. What do you consider are the positive aspects of an operator's job?
  2. What do you consider are the main challenges of an operator?
  3. How would you handle these challenges and what do you believe will motivate you to be successful in this job?
  4. Based on what you observed, describe the differences in operating a bus and streetcar.

Thanks for help 

Multi task answer questions while driving without eye contact due to safety reason.  Riping transfer before pulling into a service stop.

Passengers will ask for directions.  Drivers ask follow up questions to clarify.  Ie. A passenger want to take 24 bus at don mills station.  The driver ask the passenger if he wants to take ttc or yrt as there are two buses with identical route number stip inside the station.

The main challenge is to drive a bus in a safe mannet.  He/she have to deal with unwxpected such as a jaywalker jump out of nowhere, cars cut off the bus, cyclists emerge frim no where

Difference between streetcar and buses.  You cannot swerve to avoid obstacle on streetcars.  Streetcara takes longer to brakes.  Alway pay extra diligence when narvagtaing tight space or turn.  Buses may have to bigger tail swing than streetcars.

• Like 1

On 2011-09-04 at 10:55 PM, ericgu22 said:

Signing my conditional offer on wednesday, not sure when the training is but there is one scheduled in october. I'll say the process was pretty fast a month and a half for the offer..

Hi. Now that some years have passed, can you tell me how the rest of the process went, what are things you were asked about in the interview and what other advice you can offer to future applicants?

9 hours ago, Leon said:

Hi everyone, after a couple hours of reviewing this AWESOME forum, I couldn't find a post about the answers for job shadow assignment. I have a interview next week, so I hope that someone can help me with answering. I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear your ideas.

There is the assignment;

2. queen blue night street car (301). But now, because of construction, they running the bus through all route, instead of streetcar. So I'm wondering, what they prefer; to stay on the route or take another blue night streetcar? I did the route with bus.

Can someone give me some suggestions how is best to answer the questions related to each route;

1. What types of customer interactions took place on this route between the operator and customers? What are your main observations in regards to customer expectations?
  2. please describe how the operator multitasks. Identify some of the tasks performed and indicate how he managed those tasks at the time.

3. How would you handle these challenges and what do you believe will motivate you to be successful in this job?
  4. Based on what you observed, describe the differences in operating a bus and streetcar.

Thanks for help 

Yes 1 post 

Here's a tip:

Go out and do the assignment 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Leon said:

There is the assignment;

Thanks for help 

It said you must do the 301, so even though it's all buses, it is still mandatory. It's going to be like that for quite a while longer so you have no choice but to do it on the bus.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leon said:

There is the assignment;

Thanks for help 

Not trying to be a hard @$$ but you need to be able to answer these questions on your own as the job requires you to be able to effectively write an occurrence report if something were to happen. These are actually very simple questions, maybe you're reading too much into them? Exactly as they ask, write down what you observe, hear, and summarize into a proper structure. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NewToThis said:

Is training at Hillcrest for all 25 days, or is it split between Birchmount (my assigned division) and Hillcrest?

First four days are at Hillcrest. If I remember correctly,  day 16 or 20 will also be at Hillcrest. All other days will be at your assigned division 

• Like 3

Just got the call today as well!!!

On 5/26/2017 at 10:18 PM, Transitman83 said:

I got the call today as well. See you at training :)

June 12th

Mode: Bus

Division: Mount Dennis

June 21st

Mode: Bus

Division: Mount Dennis

;)

See you guys around! Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NewToThis said:

Like my 75L camping pack?  Is there more than just a binder being issued?

I brought a wheeled carry on suitcase. You will be issued a 2" thick binder that's heavy along with a few handbooks and your operator's cap. 

I suggest the above suitcase unless you're good with carrying everything on your back every day.