Virginia signs statewide deal with New Flyer

ABQ RIDE

According to recent news from New Flyer, it looks like the Commonwealth of Virginia has signed a statewide deal with New Flyer, where each bus purchased can go to any TA in the state.

This is quite a surprise, as both HRT and GRTC are loyal Gillig customers. It seems most New Flyers are confined to the DC area, with the exception of Williamsburg Area Transport. Still, it would be interesting if HRT got some New Flyer buses instead of the usual Gilligs.

According to recent news from New Flyer, it looks like the Commonwealth of Virginia has signed a statewide deal with New Flyer, where each bus purchased can go to any TA in the state.

This is quite a surprise, as both HRT and GRTC are loyal Gillig customers. It seems most New Flyers are confined to the DC area, with the exception of Williamsburg Area Transport. Still, it would be interesting if HRT got some New Flyer buses instead of the usual Gilligs.

sounds similar to the Metrolinx program we have here, but its dedicated to NFI. Any details on how the deal works, ie, the state buys some in batches, and whichever agency wants some, gets some, all spec'd the same?

sounds similar to the Metrolinx program we have here, but its dedicated to NFI. Any details on how the deal works, ie, the state buys some in batches, and whichever agency wants some, gets some, all spec'd the same?

I would predict the DC area TAs will probably get the most out of this deal. Still, if either HRT or GRTC need additional buses, this would probably save them some money over buying from Gillig.

Add Blacksburg Transit serving Virginia Tech as a loyal New Flyer agency in Virginia.

Fairfax Connector has a growing number of New Flyers in Northern Virginia near the D.C. area there.

Yes, but I already mentioned Northern Virginia/DC Area.

I wonder if there was any opposition by HRT or GRTC about giving the contract to New Flyer considering both are loyal Gillig customers. I think a New Flyer DE40LFR would look good in HRT colors.

Yes, but I already mentioned Northern Virginia/DC Area.

I wonder if there was any opposition by HRT or GRTC about giving the contract to New Flyer considering both are loyal Gillig customers. I think a New Flyer DE40LFR would look good in HRT colors.

Who said they have to order buses off this contract? They're free to tender their own orders if they so wish.

Who said they have to order buses off this contract? They're free to tender their own orders if they so wish.

I completely understand that. However, HRT can save lots of money by simply going with the state contract instead of tendering their own contract.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope if HRT gets some they base these on the peninsula since we need some more buses to replace the retiring 500s.

Mostly, it seems that the PENTRAN influence has dominated with bus purchases. Neither PENTRAN nor TRT ever operated New Flyer buses, however, the only Gilligs that TRT ever bought were five Gillig Low Floors in 1999. Considering HRT operates ex-TRT Orion Vs, I wonder why HRT never even considered buying some Orion VIIs or its newer variants. Hopefully this statewide deal with New Flyer is an offer too good for HRT to pass.

i hope PRTC transit can get some new flyers we need new buses but they cant due to goverment not funding

According to Wikipedia, it looks like all of HRT's Orion Vs and ex-PENTRAN Gillig Phantoms have been retired. I guess this kills hope for a New Flyer order replacing those buses. Perhaps they could have a chance at replacing the 1999 Gillig Low Floors, as they are now elgible for replacement by FTA guidelines.

Well, I take that back, the edit on Wikipedia was just reverted.

• 2 years later...