Grand River Transit

Transit 20

On 3/27/2024 at 2:11 PM, Transit 20 said:

to be totally honest I have no idea what's going on with the 30 footers.

I wonder if they're being prepped for use on different routes in the coming future. It was a very odd thing for them to buy as they are only 30 ft long. I wonder if they're going to be used on any of the BusPlus routes.

1 hour ago, TransitIsMyThing said:

What of the new hybrids are in service? I've seen 22317 and 22314 out, are there any others?

Check Transsee, it is very handy for seeing what buses are out on the road.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:22 PM, Transit 20 said:

22301 is heading to OTE.

Don't think its 22301. Might be a different one that has yet to enter service. Plus the show is already set up for tomorrow and 22301 is in service.

• Thanks 1

Do you have pictures? Would love to see! 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:19 AM, G.A said:

Check Transsee, it is very handy for seeing what buses are out on the road.

thanks for the tip!

Saw a hybrid recently, and I didn't get the number but it had the new hybrid wrap however it was not wrapped at the back where the vents are if that makes sense, so it said something like brid powered instead of hybrid powered. 

Saw 20902 today without the iXpress wrap. Not sure if this is new or not.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, Transit 20 said:

i did hear there are no buses being retired the rest of the 2008 and 2009 are going to get engine rebuilds this comes from a contact at fleet.

are they removing the iXpress livery at the same as the engine rebuilds or will they be done separately?

• 2 weeks later...

Grand River Transit is planning to bring back late night route 91 before September 2nd.

Operating between 12:30 AM until 2 AM Thursday to Saturday only. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/late-night-loop-route-91-grand-river-transit-university-district-1.7184466

Final comments:

The cost to provide it from September until the end of the year is $20,000. To run between September to June is around $61,000.

Route 91 was axed in 2019 due to lower ridership. Considering COVID-19 in 2020 which would have made it more difficult to bring back late night service. It is a lot of money to operate late night service without the demand. Grand River Transit 

Students at University of Waterloo along with Wilfrid Laurier University do pay for a universal bus pass which generates funding for the transit agency as negotiated by the student union. Providing a funding source for the transit agency to cover the cost of additional service. 

On 4/26/2024 at 4:54 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

Grand River Transit is planning to bring back late night route 91 before September 2nd.

Operating between 12:30 AM until 2 AM Thursday to Saturday only. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/late-night-loop-route-91-grand-river-transit-university-district-1.7184466

Final comments:

The cost to provide it from September until the end of the year is $20,000. To run between September to June is around $61,000.

Route 91 was axed in 2019 due to lower ridership. Considering COVID-19 in 2020 which would have made it more difficult to bring back late night service. It is a lot of money to operate late night service without the demand. Grand River Transit 

Students at University of Waterloo along with Wilfrid Laurier University do pay for a universal bus pass which generates funding for the transit agency as negotiated by the student union. Providing a funding source for the transit agency to cover the cost of additional service. 

I hope they bring back 92 as well (and maybe the old 5 or 35)

Grand River Transit is proposing a new conventional route to Waterloo International Airport. 

Per this tweet and report attached. Link provided to the report, but if that link doesn't work, file is attached with the post. 

https://pub-regionofwaterloo.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=7695

Final comments:

Currently Waterloo International Airport is serviced by Route 79 Breslau which is transit on demand. Right now, most of the flights are from Flair Airlines with some connecting flights to/from Toronto via Air Canada and flights to Calgary via Westjet.

Hopefully there will be enough demand for airport transportation encouraging people to leave the car at home. 

TSD-TRS-24-007, Grand River Transit � Fall 2024 Service Improvements.pdf